Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walt Jocketty anyone?

Re: Walt Jocketty anyone?

How is it that so many around here are so certain what the Reds plans are based solely on less than two years of action. Some complain that WK's hasn't revealed a plan, others that Castellini lied when he said he expected a winner quickly. A year and a half is a tiny amount of time in baseball history. I've said this repeatedly that I understand folks' frustration at the lost decade under previous ownerships, but these things take time.

If we've learned anything from Krivsky, it's that he plays things close to the vest, he doesn't yap it up much the press about what's going on. In that way, he's the anti-Bowden (although to believe folks around here, you might think he's the anti-Christ!). And would anyone expect an owner to come in and say anything other than we expect to win?

As for where thing stand now - no question, this season is proving to be an unmitigated failure. That said, I still say our starting nine are not as bad as they have performed. The pitching staff continues to be woefully inadequate, but I think there is hope even there. It takes a while to turn these things around.

Far too many here believe they no exactly what the Reds will and won't do. The Reds will never spend the money. The Reds will give away the farm. Etc. etc. etc.

Not one of us, I think, are privvy to the inner workings of the Reds, so we have no idea whether we made legitimate offers to free agents during the off season. We have no idea what trades we have proposed or counter offers that have been made.

This FO hasn't been perfect, but I believe they've got some clue and, in the long run, will produce a winning team again in Cincinnati.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    How is it that so many around here are so certain what the Reds plans are based solely on less than two years of action. Some complain that WK's hasn't revealed a plan, others that Castellini lied when he said he expected a winner quickly. A year and a half is a tiny amount of time in baseball history. I've said this repeatedly that I understand folks' frustration at the lost decade under previous ownerships, but these things take time.

If we've learned anything from Krivsky, it's that he plays things close to the vest, he doesn't yap it up much the press about what's going on. In that way, he's the anti-Bowden (although to believe folks around here, you might think he's the anti-Christ!). And would anyone expect an owner to come in and say anything other than we expect to win?

As for where thing stand now - no question, this season is proving to be an unmitigated failure. That said, I still say our starting nine are not as bad as they have performed. The pitching staff continues to be woefully inadequate, but I think there is hope even there. It takes a while to turn these things around.

Far too many here believe they no exactly what the Reds will and won't do. The Reds will never spend the money. The Reds will give away the farm. Etc. etc. etc.

Not one of us, I think, are privvy to the inner workings of the Reds, so we have no idea whether we made legitimate offers to free agents during the off season. We have no idea what trades we have proposed or counter offers that have been made.

This FO hasn't been perfect, but I believe they've got some clue and, in the long run, will produce a winning team again in Cincinnati.
    C'mon redsmetz, don't you know we live in the vaccuum that what the Reds should and could do is only limited by what they don't know (or more crassly stated, their own stupidity)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I'm not sure what makes Jocketty such a great GM.
    Seriously? Do results matter at all? And it's not like they're spending $150MM.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

I'm sure everyone would have blown a gasket here if Wayne would have signed Jeff Weaver last year and re-signed Ryan Franklin. But Jocketty did both and both moves worked out. Does that mean that Jocketty is some kind of clairvoyant genius? No, but he does have one of the best pitching coaches and managers in the business and he probably figured that if anyone can help those guys they could. So give him credit for knowing that the on field people probably could help those two but those weren't exactly the talent you'd like to see a GM acquire.

If he comes here he better have a pitching coach like Duncan and a manager like La Russa.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty has a year left on his contract, but if for whatever reason he asks out after this season, there's a growing buzz in baseball circles that he could end up in Cincinnati. Reds owner Bob Castellini, who used to be part of the Cardinals' ownership group, admires Jocketty. Interestingly, on Friday's FSN broadcast, Al Hrabosky said something about Tony La Russa also going to Cincinnati.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...D?OpenDocument

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Cardinals GM Walt Jocketty has a year left on his contract, but if for whatever reason he asks out after this season, there's a growing buzz in baseball circles that he could end up in Cincinnati. Reds owner Bob Castellini, who used to be part of the Cardinals' ownership group, admires Jocketty. Interestingly, on Friday's FSN broadcast, Al Hrabosky said something about Tony La Russa also going to Cincinnati.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...D?OpenDocument

Why would LaRussa leave St. Louis? I could see Jocketty coming here, but not Tony.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

I think Walt is a pretty darn good GM.

But I'd also like to point out that even a highly regarded GM such as Jocketty has made some moves that would get him burned at the stake here on Redszone. Trading Danny Haren and Daric Barton for Mark Mulder or signing Adam Kennedy to a three year contract come immediately to mind.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I think Walt is a pretty darn good GM.

But I'd also like to point out that even a highly regarded GM such as Jocketty has made some moves that would get him burned at the stake here on Redszone. Trading Danny Haren and Daric Barton for Mark Mulder or signing Adam Kennedy to a three year contract come immediately to mind.
    Yea, would be interesting to see the folks who generally laud Jocketty as a guru now turn on him once he's a Red and not measuring up.

That said, would I like to see him in the Reds ogrinization in some capacity? Without a doubt.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

The pool of water here in RZ is FCB's drool.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Say what you want about LaRussa....he may micro manage, over manage, drive you nuts, make you scratch your head...or make you want to pound your head against a wall...

But he wins.

That's what it's all about.
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 06-30-2007 at 04:50 PM.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Jocketty and LaRussa? (that means Dave Duncan, too!)

Hell yeah!

I'm buying the wine, and making sure LaRussa doesn't need to drive anywhere.

disclosure: I liked Bob Huggins, too. :all_cohol And Al Davis.

Just win, Baby (at least on the professional level!)

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Hal says he talked to Walt today before the game and asked him about the report....Walt didn't deny it.....he danced around it a little, but didn't deny the rumor.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Hal says he talked to Walt today before the game and asked him about the report....Walt didn't deny it.....he danced around it a little, but didn't deny the rumor.
    Interesting.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

The good of Jocketty: Terrific manager of the roster and usually(outside the now infamous Mulder trade) wins deals for talent.
    The bad of Jocketty: Doesn't bring in enough talent from the domestic draft and international signings. Though it isn't like he hasn't tried, he has gone through a couple scouting directors. Something Krivsky should think about because Buckley's draft's have not been overly exciting.

Overall: I actually think Krivsky is sorta like Jocketty in that he is essentially a operations man. His scouts and networks in the Cardinal organization have done a good job rating their own talent and others outside the organization. Much more proven than Krivsky in this area. Though, alot of that was financed by a "surge" if Cardinal popularity from the McGwire(now tainted) McGwire wave that ran over baseball in the late 90's. That may have crested.

He probably won't have the money to play around with in Cincinnati though that doesn't mean failure if he makes some good deals and keeps the right prospects like his rep(outside the Haren deal) indicates. Maybe he will also find the right scouting director and go on a tear there to.

Krivsky may improve. Terry Ryan wasn't exactly a good GM back in the 90's either. Though the Twins this decade have found, produced and are producing some good talent recently.

I think if Cast doesn't feel Krivsky is the man 100% and wants to go into a proven saftey net, fine by me. He probably knows the Jocketty file and what he has succeeded with and failed at during his tenure as Cardinals GM. I don't see Cast getting anyone much better with the shape the Reds organization is in and some of Cast's early blunders turning other assistants off for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Say what you want about LaRussa....he may micro manage, over manage, drive you nuts, make you scratch your head...or make you want to pound your head against a wall...

But he wins.

That's what it's all about.
    I wouldn't mind having LaRussa here at all. He's an above average manager, and we've had very few of those.

Heck, it would be funny to have to have Marty deal with it.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Turn Off Ads?