Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chris Dickerson

Chris Dickerson

What is everyone opinons on him? I've watched alot of the Bats games this year, and he interest me. He's not some great prospect (which you will see by his stats), but he interests me.

He's 25, and fairly big (6-4, 225). He's not putting up very good numbers, but he is one of those toolsy guys.

In 114 AB's in AA this year, he posted a line of .272/.325/.351/,676 line. However, since his promotion to AAA he has really improved his walk rate, and hit for better power. His line in AAA is .238/.343/.404/.747. He has done a really nice job of recognizing pitches out of the zone and taking walks, which is shown by his over 100 BA/OBP split. The problem is he strikes out a ton. In only 265 combined ABs in the minors this year, he has struck out 89 times. However, he has always had a good walk rate with a career .253 averae, but .360 OBP. His major assest is defensive. He has amazing range in CF, and a strong throwing arm. His D is 2nd to none. In June he is posting a .264/.368/.458/.827 line. He also has good wheels and has 15 steals this year.

What is everyone's thoughts on this guy? If Dunn and/or Griffey gets traded, do you think there is a chance we could see him in September?
    Last edited by reds44; 06-25-2007 at 02:12 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Dickerson

I heard he was the fastest guy in ST.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Bench player possibility.

This is what Drew Stubbs future looks like.

He's on the 40 man, but he doesn't really deserve a spot there. If he catches the right guy's eye or gets lucky when he's called up, he might carve out a career as a fifth outfielder, but the reds can pick up guys like Hopper or Crosby for nothing and they will do anything Dickerson can do.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    This is what Drew Stubbs future looks like.

He's on the 40 man, but he doesn't really deserve a spot there. If he catches the right guy's eye or gets lucky when he's called up, he might carve out a career as a fifth outfielder, but the reds can pick up guys like Hopper or Crosby for nothing and they will do anything Dickerson can do.
    Actually if Dickerson can carry an obp of around .300-.320 he could be a very effective piece on this reds team. A bench player with speed to burn is a very useful tool on good teams. Remember what Dave Roberts did for the Red Sox during their world champion season? I think too often people look at numbers too much and fail to realize that everyone on a team is not going to have a great avg, slg, obp, ops, etc. A guy like Dickerson's value will be how often he gets on base and what he is able to do when he gets on. Dickerson isn't going to be a run producer so I would worry about how many runs he scores a season. If he singles and steals second isn't that basically the same thing as a double?

I think Dickerson profiles very similar to Jason Ellison, now on Seattle, formerly on SF. He may have 4-5 years as a 4th OF & defensive replacement, but that's his ceiling likely.

Stubbs is very similar but has a higher power ceiling. The comparison is still apt. Maybe I'm wrong, but the ability to make consistent contact doesn't seem like it's something guys develop.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?