Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6/25 Minor League Updates

Re: 6/25 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I would bring him up by August 1. Give Bruce August and September to adjust to the big leagues. Another reason why a current outfielder should be moved at the deadline.

Two weeks at AA, three weeks at AAA, then up to the Reds. Next year, Bruce starts in the Reds outfield right out of spring training.

Polish him up at AA and AAA for a few more weeks.

And by the way, when he comes up, he hits third. Every day.
    Now THAT'S generous.

I say Bruce finishes the year at AA. Next year, he gets an invite to ST but unless he absolutely tears it up he starts at Louisville, and assuming he does well there, he should be up with the big club by the AS Break. Pencil him in as the everyday starter going forward for Opening Day 2009, not neccessarily 2008.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I'd guess that the ABSOLUTE best case scenario has him on the Homer Bailey plan -- finish this year at AA, start next season at AAA and then onto the active roster with the major league team midway through the 2008 season.

However, I think that is being really generous.
    I agree except that I don't think it would harm his development to get a September callup and get a feel for what major league baseball is like. Maybe let him pinch hit or be a late inning defensive replacement. Then he's not blown away when he gets called up for the first time.

Whatever, but the Reds are going through the motions if they keep Bruce down much longer. Seems like a rare hitting talent. Yes, it will take him 6 weeks to adjust to major league pitching, but then he'll probably just take off.

DanO drafted Bailey and Bruce. Not a bad legacy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Whatever, but the Reds are going through the motions if they keep Bruce down much longer. Seems like a rare hitting talent. Yes, it will take him 6 weeks to adjust to major league pitching, but then he'll probably just take off.

I think Jay is the best hitter still in the minor leagues, but no way would I bring him up this season at all before maybe September if he is hititng .300 and slugging over .500. That is the only way I even contemplate it.

Selfishly, I really hope they bring him up this year. That would make Reds games worth watching again.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Burton pitched a scoreless 7th inning for Louisville.

1 Inning, 1 Hit, 0 Runs, 0 BB, 2 K

If the Reds rush Bruce it could save them a ton of money. If we trade Dunn, we will need a big bat to replace him and instead of spending 5-10 mill on a free agent why not pencil Bruce into the opening day lineup in 2008 and spend all of the offseason money on pitching. I think Bruce could come up to the majors right now and at LEAST hit .270. How about this lineup:

1. 2B Brandon Phillips
    2. LF Jay Bruce
    3. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    4. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
    5. 1B Joey Votto
    6. CF Josh Hamilton
    7. SS Alex Gonzalez
    8. C David Ross
    9. Pitcher

I know that's 4 outta 5 lefties in that lineup but it could work in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    If the Reds rush Bruce it could save them a ton of money. If we trade Dunn, we will need a big bat to replace him and instead of spending 5-10 mill on a free agent why not pencil Bruce into the opening day lineup in 2008 and spend all of the offseason money on pitching. I think Bruce could come up to the majors right now and at LEAST hit .270. How about this lineup:

1. 2B Brandon Phillips
    2. LF Jay Bruce
    3. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    4. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
    5. 1B Joey Votto
    6. CF Josh Hamilton
    7. SS Alex Gonzalez
    8. C David Ross
    9. Pitcher

must say i like that lineup! we all need a reason to keep watching his season.
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Jay Bruce just hit another HR!

out to LEFT CENTER.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post

1. 2B Brandon Phillips
    2. LF Jay Bruce
    3. RF Ken Griffey Jr.
    4. 3B Edwin Encarnacion
    5. 1B Joey Votto
    6. CF Josh Hamilton
    7. SS Alex Gonzalez
    8. C David Ross
    9. Pitcher

Or you could go....

1. Hamilton
    2. Phillips
    3. Griffey
    4. Bruce
    5. Encarnacion
    6. Votto
    7. Gonzalez
    8. Ross

That way you minimize the it to 3/4 lefties instead of 4/5. I'm not sure the Phillips/Bruce walks enough to bat 1st/2nd either. This team really needs to go out in the offseason and find itself a legit leadoff hitter. That is the one thing that lineup would lack. Preferably a right handed one.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-25-2007 at 10:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Stubbs. Enough said.

Bruce is on fire....lets see how he does the next few weeks...
    maybe AAA by Aug...but i bet the Reds FO keeps him at AA
    the rest of the year

Following Jay Bruce, Johnny Cueto, Sean Watson, etc. is way more entertaining than anything the Reds have put on the field this year. As much as I hated Dan O'Brien's big league moves, his draft picks have been slam-dunks.

If the Reds rush Bruce it could save them a ton of money.
    Sorry. I have to disagree. If Bruce is gonna be a stud, then rushing him will cost them millions, or a year of having him on the Reds, neither of which I want to happen.

If Bruce starts the 08 season as a Red, he will most likely qualify as a Super-2 and be eligible for arbitration after the 09 season, which would be dreadful. Keep him down til about June 1 of 08, and he won't be eligible til after 2010.

Plus we won't be wasting time of him being a crappy hitter, ala Alex Gordon. I think the Royals rushed Gordo way to much this year, even my good friend that is a die hard Royals fan (yes they are still out there) wishes he would have started in AAA (he skipped AAA altogether).

I do the Homer Bailey plan. AA for the rest of the year, then AAA til June/July. Trade a player or make room for him if we sign a mediocre filler for the beginning of next year.

The only way I consider him for the Reds next year is if he dominates AA, then plays very well at AAA this year.
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 06-25-2007 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Stubbs. Enough said.
    Krivsky drafted Stubbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Turn Off Ads?