Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 6/25 Minor League Updates

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: 6/25 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Justin Upton most likely at this time though Bruce has closed the gap a bit over the week. But Upton has been in AA longer. We shall see where Bruce is after 150ab's.

I wish the Tigers would promote Maybin.
    I think they are still waiting for him to have more line drives than infield hits before they think about promoting him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Yeah, I guess Upton would have to be ranked higher. #2 ain't bad, though.

Upton does have 7 months on him though. I say that only half kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Adam Rosales also went 2-5 with a 3B and a pair of RBIs. He's hitting .292 in AA.
    And don't neglect to mention the pitcher - 8 IP 3 hits 0 runs - James Avery drops his ERA from 5.29 to 4.80 in one start. Quietly, Danny Dorn is passing Stubbs and Szymanski (3-5, 3 RBIs tonight for Sarasota) as the second best OFer in the system (apologies to Dickerson, who I forlornly predict will never hit in the big leagues, which is too bad because he is a great fielder).

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    And don't neglect to mention the pitcher - 8 IP 3 hits 0 runs - James Avery drops his ERA from 5.29 to 4.80 in one start. Quietly, Danny Dorn is passing Stubbs and Szymanski (3-5, 3 RBIs tonight for Sarasota) as the second best OFer in the system (apologies to Dickerson, who I forlornly predict will never hit in the big leagues, which is too bad because he is a great fielder).
    Dorn isn't exactly ripping up Sarasota.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Justin Upton.... I am not sold on him being better than Bruce at this point. His home/road splits in AA are quite polar opposites of eachother. His Home OPS is .546 points HIGHER than his road OPS. Its amazing what a ballpark will do for you sometimes.
    His home park is easily the best hitters park in the league. It is well above average in allowing doubles, triples and HRs.

The most dissappointing thing has been the poor pitching lately in the system. Guys like Gonzo,Avery,Lecure and Logan O have never really put up good numbers this year, Fisher has wilted, Wood probably never has been healthy and Cueto has struggled in some respects.

Definitely a downer for a organization that needs plenty of arm power.

Quote Originally Posted by BearcatShane View Post
    If they sign a cheap stop gap and the offence struggles next year and the Reds continue to lose the fans will be all over Krivsky and ownership. I think the Reds need to either make a big signing like Byrnes or take a big chance on starting Bruce from day 1 in 2008. They can't go cheap or everyone's going to be claiming they don't care. I KNOW Bob Castellini does not like that talk. Even the common Reds fan knows who Bruce is and would probably be in favor of starting him next year.
    I'm sorry, just to be clear - you actually want the Reds to sign Byrnes to a multi year deal for $7-10 million per? This Eric Byrnes?

Career AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS+
    .268/.327/.457/102

It's true that Byrnes is having a pretty nice year so far in 2007 (OPS+ of 126) but there is nothing indicating that he will continue to have this level of success. At age 31, he's not likely to improve much. I'd look for Byrnes to be this year's Gary Matthews Jr.

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Those who listen to fans end up sitting next to them.
    Sorry to call you out here Reds44, but I feel the need to address this

There are more than a couple of "fans" on this board that I think would make much smarter decisions than some of the other management in baseball.

I do know what you are getting at though.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    I'm sorry, just to be clear - you actually want the Reds to sign Byrnes to a multi year deal for $7-10 million per? This Eric Byrnes?

Career AVG/OBP/SLG/OPS+
    .268/.327/.457/102

It's true that Byrnes is having a pretty nice year so far in 2007 (OPS+ of 126) but there is nothing indicating that he will continue to have this level of success. At age 31, he's not likely to improve much. I'd look for Byrnes to be this year's Gary Matthews Jr.
    The fans in Cincinnati would love Brynes because he is 'scrappy". I however, would never spend that much on Brynes. He really doesn't have a position in the lineup. I'd much rather give Dunn his $13 mil. then given Brynes 7-10.

Matthews really isn't having a bad year, but it's probably not worth how much money he is making.

Somebody had that list of free agent OFers, can somebody repost those please.
    Last edited by reds44; 06-26-2007 at 12:26 AM.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Recap

Louisville Won 12-7

• Freel: 1-6, 2B, 2 RBI, 2 K
    • Lopez: 2-5, 2B, RBI, 2 R, BB
    • Bannon: 4-4, 2B, 6 RBI, R
    • Dickerson: 1-4, RBI, BB, 2 K
    • Dumatrait: 4.1 IP, 9 H, 8 ER, 4 BB, 4 K
    • Majewski: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, O K
    • Burton: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K
    • Saarloos: 1 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

Chatanooga Won 10-0

• Janish: 1-4, 2B, 2 R, BB, K
    • Bruce: 4-6, 2 HR, 2B, 5 RBI, 2 R, K
    • Cruz: 0-3, 3 BB, 2 R
    • Rosales: 2-5, 3B, 2 RBI, R, K
    • Avery: 8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 4 K

Sarasota Won 12-10

• Griffin: 4-6, 2 2B, 3 RBI, 3 R, K
    • Dorn: 3-5, 2B, 4 RBI, R, 2 K
    • Tatum: 2-5, 2 R, 2 K
    • Symanski: 1-1, RBI, R, BB

Dayton Lost 7-3

• Stubbs: 1-5, 2 K
    • Turner: 2-5, K
    • Valaika: 0-3
    • Francisco: 2-4, 2 K
    • Kainer: 0-4, 2 K
    • Gonzalez: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 0 K
    • Donaldson: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 0 K

Billings Won 1-0

• Tordi: 0-4, 3 K
    • Waring: 1-3, K
    • McKennon: 2-3, K
    • Mike Jones (who): 1-3, R, K
    • Ravin: 4 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 5 BB, 7 K
    • Rhoden: 4 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K
    • Krebs: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K

VSL Rays/Reds Lost 10-4

• Rodriguez: 2-4, 3B, 2 R, BB
    • Contreras: 2-4, RBI, R, K
    • Omana: 1-4, RBI, K
    • Hernandez: 1-4

-GCL Reds had the day off.

rhoden put up some good numbers....no hits in 4 innings...keep it up!!!!!

The fans in Cincinnati would love Brynes because he is 'scrappy". I however, would never spend that much on Brynes. He really doesn't have a position in the lineup. I'd much rather give done his $13 mil. then given Brynes 7-10.
    Was that intentional?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Jay is a large man.

Johnny Cueto makes his AA debut tomorrow.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Krebs: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
    If Krebs ever hits for the cycle, they should give everyone with a Biology degree free admission to the ballpark the next day.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?