Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunn's option

Dunn's option

I saw a similar thread on The Old Red Guard and have decided to do one here. It doesn't look to me like Adam Dunn will be traded this year, as Krivsky is asking a lot(as he should), and the other teams don't want to pay fair market value for him. They thought they could pull a sequel to the Washington trade on Krivsky with Dunn or Griffey. Far from it. It looks like Krivsky is asking too much,and no trade will be made for either player this year.So how about this: We sign Adam Dunn to the 13 million option, and then trade him next year when Jay Bruce is set to come up. I have heard Jay Bruce should be in Cincinnati by the middle of next year,and trade Adam Dunn for prospects next year. I don't think Krivsky sees Adam Dunn as someone to be in Cincinnati for the long term, and only has him here until someone comes to Cincinnati who can approach his production. Let's face it, it should not be too hard for anyone in Cincinnati to hit for power in the bandbox we have. Adam Dunn has done a good job in Cincinnati, and I would hate to see him go, but I don't know if we can afford to pay more than the 13 million we will pay next year to sign him to a long-term extension. We would be putting a lot of pressure on Jay Bruce' but I think he is the first outfielder who could replace Adam Dunn offensively and defensively on the team. I was the person who posted that Josh Hamilton could replace Adam Dunn, so I realize I may not have the highest credibility right now. Still, I see Adam Dunn as only here until Jay Bruce is ready, and I hope he will be ready by July 2008.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn's option

What makes you think we are going to get a better deal next year than we would get this year. Trust me, he's going to be traded this year, Krivsky is just waiting for thee best deal possible to be offered. There might be an injury where Adam Dunn is a must for some team. A team will get desperate in the next 3-5 weeks and offer alot for Dunn and Krivsky will pull the trigger.

I don't know what will happen but the thinking is that Dunn might have more value in the offseason. At that point his new team would have him for a full season and have ample opportunity to negotiate a contract as opposed to a 3 month rental. It all depends on the market at the deadline. Hopefully someone will be desperate enough to pay a heavy ransom in return.

Hopefully no one pays and Krivsky does the right thing and holds onto Adam Dunn.

hard to say what will happen...if the right deal comes along before july 31 WK will do it

Krivsky's price will come down as July 31st approaches, and teams interests in him will go up. I'll be surprised if he's a Red in August.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I believe the Reds have held onto Dunn too long by about 2 to 3 years. Imagine getting a Cole Hammels caliber pitcher for Dunn back then and possibly more players in return. A 3 for 1 or a 4 for 2 deal with the Phillies would have been doable. In my opinion it's best to make a trade with a team when that team has just completed a trade to whomever. Most likely Dunn would fit best as a Designated Hitter.

Don't get me wrong, I like Adam Dunn. I just loathe watching him fumble balls that bounce around in the leftfield corner, being slow to react and allowing opposing hitters to turn singles into doubles (did you see the Mariners do that to Dunn), and of course his STRIKEOUTS! Always lunging for those pitched balls ankle high, inside or outside - doesn't matter to Adam.

The trade deadline will be the best time to move him. As long as Krivsky DOESN'T go after relievers for him. In the past, relievers have been brought to the Reds for lesser talent and traded from the Reds for lesser talent. Such as relievers (traded to the Reds) John Wetteland, John Franco, Randy Myers. Traded from the Reds or lost via Draft were Jeff Montgomery, Trevor Hoffman, Jeff Russell, as well as those listed above who were subsequently traded away. These are from fairly recent times. None brought much of a return except Myers for Franco. Wetteland never got a chance with the Reds, having been acquired and traded away in the same off-season.

Basically, all I want from Krivsky is to listen to his scouts/advisors before finalizing a trade of Dunn. He didn't listen to the plea of Johnny Amarillo (I believe he was the Reds Latin America scout) who quit the Reds after not being alledgedly listened to by GM Krivsky in the Kearns trade. I think two other scouts left after the Kearns, Lopez, Wagner trade b/c of Krivsky's deal with Bowden.

It's scarey what kbrake says:
    Hopefully no one pays and Krivsky does the right thing and holds onto Adam Dunn.
    I really don't know if Krivsky can get full value for Dunn(from other GM's) after the fleecing JimBo gave him! WHAT IF SOMEONE DOES PAY? That's when it gets scarey! Ohhhhhhh Noooooo!

I just don't see Wayne Krivsky trading Dunn unless he is offered a great deal. I don't see any team having the prospects he would want in trade. You don't trade away that much offense unless you have a replacement ready to play. All of the trades I hear involve pitching, and I just don't see us trading him unless we could get a comparable outfielder prospect. Jay Bruce is the first outfield prospect I see coming up from the minors who I see who could be as good or better than Dunn. I am not talking about signing him to a long-term extension, just picking up the option until Bruce is ready. It makes no sense to trade Dunn away for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Krivsky's price will come down as July 31st approaches, and teams interests in him will go up. I'll be surprised if he's a Red in August.
    I totally agree with this comment. Krivsky is asking a lot currently because it's early, that's just being smart about it. I'll also be stunned if he is still a Red come August.

Any deal that does not involve a comparable outfield prospect should be a non-starter. I expect him to be a Red all year, despite all the talk. You dont improve a team by downgrading at the outfield position for a couple of marginal pitching arms. Krivsky would have to get Bailey-type arms to convince the fans it was a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I totally agree with this comment. Krivsky is asking a lot currently because it's early, that's just being smart about it. I'll also be stunned if he is still a Red come August.
    I dunno, I think if the need is more pressing the price will go up. We don't _have to_ give up Dunn because we're not really in contention at this point.

If he doesn't get you exactly what you want, keep him and try again in the offseason.

Or keep him, period!

Bottom line is Dunn is not a Krivsky type player he is gone sooner than later.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Bottom line is Dunn is not a Krivsky type player he is gone sooner than later.
    Is that because he's not 35-40 years old?

I still think Dunn will be gone by the break, hopefully, it's not just for the sake of trading him though (see the rumored San Diego deal from a week or so ago).

The Angels seem to make the most sense, but the Dodgers are a team I would really explore, with Kemp and pitching help coming back in return.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I dunno, I think if the need is more pressing the price will go up. We don't _have to_ give up Dunn because we're not really in contention at this point.

If he doesn't get you exactly what you want, keep him and try again in the offseason.

Or keep him, period!
    I'm not implying giving him away at all. You obviously want a good return.

The Reds though have several key areas that need improving and trading Dunn could go a long way to help fixing some of those areas, both by your return and freeing up the salary. It would be hard to replace Dunn's offensive numbers, but the pressing needs this team has outweighs what Dunn brings to the table, IMO.

I agree though, if you can't get the return you want......keep him and see what you can do in the offseason.

Turn Off Ads?