Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cards get it...Reds clueless

Cards get it...Reds clueless

The Cards made yet another move that will help them make a run for the playoffs. Troy Percival is now a Cardinal. Add that too acquiring Maroth and the Cards just got better in a blink of an eye. From what I've read Percival is still throwing in the mid 90's. Maroth was a the odd man out of very talented Tigers rotation. But Maroth wasn't garbage to begin with.

I know the Reds are out of any playoff picture. Players don't want to come too a losing team. The Cards have the luxury of adding players like a Percival. The Reds need to figure out what kind of team this is. Until they can figure out the identity of this team the Reds will continue to look clueless.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards get it...Reds clueless

I know Maroth had a good game last night and I expect him to have a few more coming to a new league with weaker lineups and haven't seen him before. But he is an average groundball pitcher who doesn't strike anybody out and gives up a lot of home runs. I don't think that looks to good at the GABP. Also, I don't see how acquiring Troy Percival makes the Cardinals better. The guy hasn't pitched in two years and hasn't seen any success for three or four years. That pickup smells a lot like the Estaban Yan, Rheal Cormier, and Joe Mays pickups from last year.

Lastly, I don't understand how one can criticize the Reds for not picking up the guy. Perhaps Krivsky tried to go after him but the Cards had a better offer? How do we know what is going on behind the GM's doors?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

It would have been nice to get Maroth for basically a PTBNL..as it appears now.

We still have 1 maybe 2 spots in rotation that need to be addresssed next year. And the guy is making 2.35Mil to boot. We could have pulled that off possibly.

Does anyone else find it ironic that while Maroth pitched well last night he was beaten by one Jorge Sosa, former Card? In hindsight, maybe the Cards would have been better off keeping Sosa this year and they wouldn't have needed to trade for Maroth. Even a team that supposedly "gets it" makes mistakes.

I understand what your saying and I do agree. What I'm saying is this. As fans we are screaming for these type of "Small Market" deals. The Beltrans and ARods of the world will never come here. We have to resort to low salary projects. Hamilton and Phillips were the success stories. Why Lohse, Milton, Saarloos, etc. were on the other side of the spectrem.
    I think a 38 year old LH who still throws in the mid 90's would help this team. Now we have to face him, which we all know LH pitching kills the Reds lineup. Maroth was cheap and could fit in nicely to the back of the rotation in 2008 and we wouldn't have to give up a Bruce, Votto.

If the Reds had traded for a mediocre Maroth and signed a pitcher who hasn't pitched in two years, Reds fans would be calling for Krivsky's firing (not that they already aren't) and the selling of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that while Maroth pitched well last night he was beaten by one Jorge Sosa, former Card? In hindsight, maybe the Cards would have been better off keeping Sosa this year and they wouldn't have needed to trade for Maroth. Even a team that supposedly "gets it" makes mistakes.
    For the record Sosa didn't beat Maroth, the Mets beat the Cards. And if you want too look at it like that Heilman beat Springer. Maroth pitched better than Sosa.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    Maroth pitched better than Sosa.
    Maroth = 2 hits, 2bb, 1hr, 4k
    Sosa = 6 hits, 2bb, 1er, 5k

Maybe slightly better. I was just saying that they could have gotten the same thing out of Sosa who is cheaper and was on their team. And lets compare their stats for the year:

Code:
    Jorge Sosa:

SPLIT 	G   W  L  WHIP   BAA   ERA 
    Season  10  6  3  1.20   .234  3.79 

Mike Maroth:

SPLIT   G   W  L  WHIP   BAA   ERA 
    Season  14  5  2  1.56   .303  4.73
    Given that Maroth pitched in the AL, cut him a big break and say that they both are delivering similar results this year. I'm just saying that the Cards make stupid mistakes too and it appears that letting go of Sosa (or not improving/fixing him as redsupport suggested the Cards always do in another thread) is one they are now paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsnake View Post
    For the record Sosa didn't beat Maroth, the Mets beat the Cards. And if you want too look at it like that Heilman beat Springer. Maroth pitched better than Sosa.
    It's not unusual at all for an AL pitcher to come to the NL and have some initial success because the overall quality of hitters decreases and hitters have never seen him. One start is way too small of a sample size to say this was a great acquisition, let's wait and see what he does over the course of the remaining season.

His career 4.78 ERA and 1.42 WHIP screams mediocrecy to me, and his numbers for the season at St. Louis will most likely resemble those when it's all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    It's not unusual at all for an AL pitcher to come to the NL and have some initial success because the overall quality of hitters decreases and hitters have never seen him. One start is way too small of a sample size to say this was a great acquisition, let's wait and see what he does over the course of the remaining season.

His career 4.78 ERA and 1.42 WHIP screams mediocrecy to me, and his numbers for the season at St. Louis will most likely resemble those when it's all said and done.
    I agree. Since we aren't anywhere close to contending I'd rather give time to young players who may deliver similar results at a lower price and have more long term potential. Maroth isn't horrible but he isn't any better than Belisle or Lohse and we have Dumatrait and Livingston waiting for the next opportunity.

I am also hearing the the Cardinals are going to get Jason LaRue from the Royals....i guess we should go after him to since the Cards are. I would rather save my money that is going to be freed up by Eric Milton's departure, and get someone better than a 4th or 5th starter.

This is somewhat of a departure from the thread but... what are the Cardinals doing? I realize that the Central is a horrible division but do they really believe that they can overtake Milwaukee and be a threat in the postseason? It seems that they are really counting on the return of Looper, Mulder, and Carpenter to peak form and then riding a title wave of momentum to another title. When I look at their team I can't see that they're significantly better than the Reds. Imagine if the Reds traded for Maroth, signed Percival, and maybe another pitcher (Ohka??) and said they were going for it all. I think we'd all be pretty upset about the shortsightedness and failure to address the future.

If I was a St. Louis fan I'd hope they'd give up on this year, trade some overacheivers (Looper), and aim to rebuild the farm.

exactly when is the never ending search for the 'future' ever going to yield anything other than an execrable, debased performance

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    exactly when is the never ending search for the 'future' ever going to yield anything other than an execrable, debased performance
    How long should it take?

how about milwaukee's time from bottom to top. how about small market oakland, detroit, seattle. Are you content with no playoff games sine 1995? Not even a sniff of a pennant race other than 1999? Nice work by the organization

Turn Off Ads?