Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Would You Like To Find This In Your Backyard!

How Would You Like To Find This In Your Backyard!

A friend sent me an email with the below pics and an accompanying story that it was trapped/killed in Australia when a sheep farmer erected an electrified fence because he was losing sheep.

Well - I checked Snopes.com, and while the pics are authentic, the location (where it happened) is not. They were taken at the Silent Valley Game Ranch in the Waterberg mountains in S. Africa. The Rock Python, Africa's largest snake, had eaten an impala ewe and was trying to go through the electric fence when it was killed.

I hate snakes!!!!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How Would You Like To Find This In Your Backyard!

What do those pics have to do with snakes?

If I found giant green guys in the backyard I'd move
    Go Gators!

To see GAC's pictures, right-click on the green faces and then choose Properties. Copy and paste the image location into the address bar of a new browser window.

Bandwidth stealer!

Hot Linker!

Yeah, nevermind. That last one didn't sound too good.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Do a google search for "Silent Valley Game Ranch in the Waterberg mountains in S. Africa. The Rock Python, Africa's largest snake"

The pictures pop up pretty quickly.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    Bandwidth stealer!

Hot Linker!

Yeah, nevermind. That last one didn't sound too good.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    To see GAC's pictures, right-click on the green faces and then choose Properties. Copy and paste the image location into the address bar of a new browser window.
    in Firefox, just right click and hit "View Image"
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I think if there was any chance at all that one of those things could come anywhere near where I live or even occasionally pass through in my normal routines, I would have to move far far away from that location.
    "I'm virtually free to do whatever I want, but I try to remember so is everybody else..." - Todd Snider

I saw a week or two ago on the Today show where some guy in Australia went into his backyard and saw a bobcat. The thing lunged at him. The guy let the bobcat bite into him and then he grabbed the bobcat's neck after it had a firm grip on him and suffocated the bobcat to death. The guy said that he hated to kill such a beautiful animal, but it gave him no choice.

Most of the "experts" argued that if he would have tried to fight back initially, the bobcat would have killed him. By allowing the bobcat to bite him first and then going for his throat, the guy saved his own life. I don't know if I'd be that calm, cool, and collected to allow all that to happen and think logically in that situatino.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

smells of rich mahogany deltachi8's Avatar

Thanks, GAC, I won't sleep for a week now.

I loathe (c) snakes.
    Nothing to see here. Please disperse.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Not to self, stay away from Rock Pythons.

Oh. my. god.

I never imagined that snakes -- which I hate and fear possibly more than anything -- had those kind of teeth. A week? I may well never sleep again.

Let us review once again the minor detail that the reason the snake got caught in the fence is because it had just EATEN AN IMPALA EWE. It stands to reason that an impala ewe is a sizable, four-legged creature, correct?
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

When I was a kid, my brother and I would catch garter snakes by the 10's and put them in a box. Why? I'm not sure. For fun, I guess.

We once had a box of probably 100 snakes and left it in the garage. We got preoccupied with something else and forgot about it.

Later that day, my mom went out into the garage. The resulting shriek could be heard for miles. Mom has needed therapy ever since.

We periodically get pretty good sized black snakes in our neighborhood. I am known as the snake charmer. I grab 'em behind the neck and pitch them back out into the farm field behind us.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?