Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Will Josh Hamilton be a starting outfielder in the Reds' future

Re: Will Josh Hamilton be a starting outfielder in the Reds' future

I believe Mackanin simply does not want to risk Hamilton suffering another injury.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    CINCINNATI -- Rookie outfielder Josh Hamilton has been kept out of the starting lineup the past two games.

Reds interim manager Pete Mackanin said he's being cautious with Hamilton, who's been experiencing tightness in his right hamstring.

Hamilton believes Mackanin has other motives, although he did not offer any specific theories.

"[The hamstring] isn't why I'm not playing," Hamilton said. "It isn't going to feel any different. The tightness is always there. I've had it since Chicago [three weeks ago]."

It sounds like there is some dispute between Hamilton and Mackanin about why Hamilton is being kept out of the lineup.
    PM doing his best Narron and "saving" him for the stretch drive.......

Hamilton will be with the Reds next season. Under the Rule 5 draft, the Reds must keep him on the 25 man roster or send him back to Tampa Bay. I have seen posts on the ORG about him possibly being traded for pitching. I don't think the Reds would be willing to give him back to Tampa Bay after the season he has had. I do think that when you look at his OBP and slugging pct....he can continue to help the Reds for many years to come.

Regarding his avg against left handed pitchers ...... I agree..... play Hamilton and give him the experience against left handed pitchers. Sitting him this series against Milwaukee did not make any sense. Obviously by Hamilton's comments.....he wasn't happy about sitting two games. Hoppers batting avg is good but his OBP and slugging percentage is not as good as Hamilton's. Also, Hamilton's defense is better than Hopper's. How about Hopper's defense yesterday when Dunn gave more effort to getting to a ball than Hopper?

Hamilton is a keeper and has proven his worth as a 5 tool player this season!

Quote Originally Posted by INRedsFan View Post
    Hamilton will be with the Reds next season. Under the Rule 5 draft, the Reds must keep him on the 25 man roster or send him back to Tampa Bay. I have seen posts on the ORG about him possibly being traded for pitching. I don't think the Reds would be willing to give him back to Tampa Bay after the season he has had. I do think that when you look at his OBP and slugging pct....he can continue to help the Reds for many years to come.
    The Rule 5 retrictions are only for this season. If he is on the 25 man roster or MLB DL as of the end of the season his rights fully belong to the Reds going forward. There is a subclause of Rule 5 requiring an actual mininum time on the active roster (to keep teams from hiding guys on the DL). C.Trent wrote in his blog several weeks ago that by 1 September both Hamilton and Burton would have that active time minimum met. So basically it is just a matter of time ticking down to the end of the season and Hamilton's rights will belong to the Reds free and clear. (even if active time was an issue, which it isn't at this point, with the roster expansion in effect they would not disable him now even if he were injured).

Quote Originally Posted by jnwohio View Post
    The Rule 5 retrictions are only for this season. If he is on the 25 man roster or MLB DL as of the end of the season his rights fully belong to the Reds going forward. There is a subclause of Rule 5 requiring an actual mininum time on the active roster (to keep teams from hiding guys on the DL). C.Trent wrote in his blog several weeks ago that by 1 September both Hamilton and Burton would have that active time minimum met. So basically it is just a matter of time ticking down to the end of the season and Hamilton's rights will belong to the Reds free and clear. (even if active time was an issue, which it isn't at this point, with the roster expansion in effect they would not disable him now even if he were injured).
    My bad....jnwohio is correct about the Rule 5 draft. Hamilton would be eligible for trade. In my opinion, Hamilton is a player that the Reds want to build around instead of trade.

What are the salary restrictions on a Rule 5 draft player like Hamilton. Don't the Reds have rights to him for two years at the league minimum? He can't negotiate a contract above the league minimum until his third year, right?

I have heard the Reds have the rights to him for 5 years before he is eligible for arbitration.

I have heard the Reds have the rights to him for 5 years before he is eligible for arbitration.
    That isn't true. He is treated like any regular player, and is eligible for arbitration after 3 seasons.
    Last edited by Jay Bruce; 09-11-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Bruce View Post
    That isn't true. He is treaeted like ant regular player, and is eligible for arbitration after 3 seasons.

I agree with this. At first I was thinking he would likely be a super two then I realized that at the best (in all lilelihood) he will have exactly 2 years service at the end of next year (2008) and the full 3 at the end of the 2009. The only way this doesn't work out is if he is optioned at some point in the next 2 seasons which right now seems highly unlikely. So being a Rule5 and sticking through the year cost him the chance to be a super two but in the end he is going to be arb eligible at the same point in time and maybe a little closer to free agency than he would have been as a super two

Mackanin on Hamilton (and Votto) via C Trent Rosecrans:

Mackanin said he'd like to see Hamilton against more left-handers from here on out. Mackanin said he wants to do the same with Votto, but Cantu is 4-for-6 lifetime against Mulder with two homers and a double, so he wants to see him out there against Mulder. But he doesn't see Hamilton or Votto as platoon guys, so he doesn't want to treat them as such.
    So it looks like we'll get our wish and Hamilton will be starting against lefties.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Mackanin on Hamilton (and Votto) via C Trent Rosecrans:

So it looks like we'll get our wish and Hamilton will be starting against lefties.
    He went .500 against a lefty tonight. Not a bad start during this new trial period. I would still like to know what is going on between Coach Mac and Josh. The reds organization is even promoting the conflict by posting two press releases during the past two days on Reds.com.

He hurt his hamstring tonight, and that may be it for the year for him. It was a very good year however.

He hurt his hamstring tonight, and that may be it for the year for him. It was a very good year however.
    Other than the injuries, Hamilton had a great year. It's really incredible how well he's done after missing so much time.

I am worried though about how injury-prone he is. He had 4 different types of problems this year. Will this continue? Or is it just because he hasn't played a full year in 4 years? I really don't know the answer, but I am worried that he won't be able to play 150+ games each year.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Other than the injuries, Hamilton had a great year. It's really incredible how well he's done after missing so much time.

I am worried though about how injury-prone he is. He had 4 different types of problems this year. Will this continue? Or is it just because he hasn't played a full year in 4 years? I really don't know the answer, but I am worried that he won't be able to play 150+ games each year.
    I agree.

In evaluating Josh's future they need to try and determine how much of the injury situation came from him trying to play a full big league schedule after playing virtually none in the last 4 years and how much if any of his problems come from damage inflicted upon himself in his dark days. Then if there is direct damage from the substance abuse, they need to try and figure out how much of that will go away over time too.

90 to 100 games of what he contributed this year make it worth having him around; but you have to be able to realistically project how much he can play in order to plan the roster. Maybe he becomes a platoon player because that role gives him the time off he requires to mantain stamina and avoid injury while making his maximum contribution.

I wish him well and hope he goes on to have a long and productive career.

Quote Originally Posted by INRedsFan View Post
    .........I would still like to know what is going on between Coach Mac and Josh. The reds organization is even promoting the conflict by posting two press releases during the past two days on Reds.com.
    The only thing going on between Josh and Pete is in Josh's formerly drug-addled brain, or what's left of it.

Seriously, though. JH is extremely prone to injuries. He is a delicate flower right now and has to be handled carefully. The Red's organization is definitely NOT promoting a conflict between its manager and a player. No organization does that. Pete handles every player with respect and fairness; from HOFers to rookies. They will all agree with that statement.

What Josh needs to do is grow up and take charge of his life. Millions of people go through life recovering from tough times, addictions, tragedies, etc. Josh needs to make a break from his babysiteer, Johnny Narron, and take over his own life again. Josh's destiny is in Josh's hands and no one elses. Not the manager, not the organization, not Johnny Narron.

Get it together, Josh.

Turn Off Ads?