Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Josh Hamilton be a starting outfielder in the Reds' future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will Josh Hamilton be a starting outfielder in the Reds' future

I was just wondering if Josh Hamilton will be a starting outfielder in the future. Reds' management seems to be pretty high on him, but another outfielder prospect or a player gotten in a trade could make him a backup outfielder. He has played pretty well and has lots of talent, but he may also never reach the potential that I and many others believe he will reach. I was the one who started a thread about Hamilton replacing Dunn in left field, so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. He will probably be a starting outfielder for the next couple of years. Griffey is close to retirement and Dunn has a small chance of being traded. However, I am unsure at this point whether he will be the next Griffey in the Reds outfield, or just another Brady Clark. I suppose time will tell, but he has definitely cooled of from his hot months in March and April.

Re: Will Josh Hamilton be a starting outfielder in the Reds' future

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    However, I am unsure at this point whether he will be the next Griffey in the Reds outfield, or just another Brady Clark. I suppose time will tell, but he has definitely cooled of from his hot months in March and April.
    IMO, Josh Hamilton is 100 times more talented than Brady Clark ever was. It's too early to tell how far he will go, but I think it's a safe bet that he'll be starting outfielder for at least the foreseeable future if his health allows it.

He may have slowed down somewhat since his start, but we have to keep remembering that the guy has not played much baseball the past several years. He is going to go through some growing pains.

Dunn has a more than a small chance of being traded. Expecially excerising his contract then trading him this offseason if he continues to hit 260+ with close to 40 homeruns.

This FO isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and they might believe that Dunn is the least valuable player to the Reds than anyone else.

Hamilton can be a league average Right Fielder starting next season I have to believe.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

how can you compare Josh Hamilton to Brady Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    how can you compare Josh Hamilton to Brady Clark?
    In terms of a few productive years, than leveling off and being a fourth outfielder. It could very well happen. The context of the comparasion was off in terms of Hamilton to Brady Clarks career, but the idea remains the same.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Dracodave View Post
    This FO isn't the sharpest tool in the shed and they might believe that Dunn is the least valuable player to the Reds than anyone else.
    I highly doubt that. Just look at the rumored price via the Angels.

The reason Dunn is being traded is because he is the best piece we have to trade. He should yield the highest return and will hopefully be acceptably replaced by guys like Bruce and Votto. (from an offensive standpoint)

I think it's a lock Josh Hamilton is going to be playing in the Reds outfield for years to come barring injury or relapse, IMO. He's shown solid defense (occasional shaky routes should only improve as he continues to play after a 4 year layoff), a cannon for an arm, and then there's what he brings to the plate. He has tremendous power to all fields, excellent pitch recognition and plate discipline, and a very quick bat. He sprays the ball all over the field, can beat out a slow chopper, and has the speed to steal bases once he gets on. He truly is a 5 tool player.

In my estimation, JH is one of those guys you build a championship team around. As good as he's been, I really think he can only get better as he gains more experience and begins to enter the prime years of his career. I just can't envision a scenario where the Reds relegate Hamilton to 4th OF status because they have 3 better players in front of him.

Hamilton is OPS'ing .870 after sitting out most of the last four seasons. He is without a doubt one of the cornerstones of our future outfield. He will only get better as he gains experience. He has plate discipline and power. The only person in our organization with a higher ceiling long term as an OF is Bruce.

I can't believe this is even a thread. HAMILTON IS A ROOKIE AND LOOK WHAT HE IS DONE! Even when his bat is struggling, he keeps a great attitude and still has that CANNON in centerfield. He's going to be around for a while.

I am not saying he is a terrible outfielder; just that he may not be starting in the outfield in the future. Everyone forgets he started as a reserve outfielder, and played his way into the starting outfield. He has tons of talent,but talent can only take you so far. I would like nothing more than to have him share an outfield with Dunn and Bruce for years to come. Ken Griffey is getting older and may soon retire. Presently, with the talk about trading Griffey and Dunn there should be lots of space in the outfield. However, if Votto is moved to LF and Bruce comes up next year, there could be increased pressure on Hamilton to produce more as a starting outfielder. I was a fan of the Reds when Brady came up, and everyone believed he would be a star outfielder in Cincinnati just like Eric Davis. I have seen players just as talented as Hamilton end up as reserves because they didn't show enough consistancy. He will have to continue to improve to stick as a starting outfielder. No one is not saying he has not done well in his limited time in the majors; however, he has to continue to play well to start in the outfield.

No one is not saying he has not done well in his limited time in the majors; however, he has to continue to play well to start in the outfield.
    Same goes for Phillips as a 2B, EE as a 3B, Homer as a SP, etc. etc. I'm not trying to deride your point, but I think it's pretty much assumed by everyone that a young (cheap) player needs to continue to produce to maintain a spot on the big league team. However, with Hamilton's enormous talent, potential, and production in his rookie season, he'd have to have a whale of a slump to either be designated as a 4th OF or demoted to the minors (in future years) no matter who comes up from the minors.

I was a fan of the Reds when Brady came up, and everyone believed he would be a star outfielder in Cincinnati just like Eric Davis.
    Ummmm....No one with half a cerebrum believed that. The notion that Brady Clark ever had even the slightest chance of being as good as Eric Davis, even post-cancer, is ridiculous. Second most ridiculous thing? Josh Hamilton and Brady Clark are on a similar career path. Brady Clark's career high HR? 12 in 599 ABs. Josh Hamilton in his 1st season? 11 HR in 176 ABs. I am not saying Hamilton is going to be Eric Davis, but, barring a drug relapse, this comparison is already boardering on daffy.

I was a fan of the Reds when Brady came up, and everyone believed he would be a star outfielder in Cincinnati just like Eric Davis.
    Maybe in your mind, you believed everyone thought he would be a star just like Eric Davis. I guarantee you were the only one who thought that. Thinking that Clark was going to be a star like Davis is possibly the craziest thing I've ever read on Redszone.

And comparing Clark to Hamilton isn't too far behind. They're totally different baseball players. Clark maxed out on his potential to be a decent player. Hamilton is already a decent major league player despite all the time off and trouble he's been in. If he stays healthy, he'll be a star.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

I seem to remember everybody believing Brady Clark was going to be every bit as beloved as Norris Hopper or Chris Denorfia. People seemed to like him but noone thought he was going to be a star. When he did well for the Brewers it seems there may have been some I told you so's but I don't remember the I'm telling you so's at the time of the trade. See if you can figure that one out. I almost lost myself there.

I think he will be a starting OFer for a while for the Reds. He must be doing something right for Freel to volunteer his starting OF job he fought for to go back to a super sub.

Turn Off Ads?