Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ryan Hanigan

Ryan Hanigan

I really don't know much about this kid and have kind of written-off all the Red's catching prospects, but...

This year in AA Hanigan has (relatively) stepped forward a little as a hitter. The latest stats show .275/.380/.401. It looks like he can at least take a walk. He'll be 27 in August. Does anyone know anything about his defense? Is he a candiate for a major league job? I doubt he'd ever be a starter but could he be a cheap option as a Paul Bako/Josh Paul back-up type? The type you keep around for $400K instead of spending a combined $2 Million on Javy and Moeller while putting the cash to better use elsewhere.

Just wondering. Any info is appreciated.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Ryan Hanigan

Well, it is his third pass through the Southern League. At that point you better hit.

He's an organizational soldier and has no chance of deserving a spot on the 40 man roster. He's top end is Chad Moeller without the warm fuzzies that managers get from playing old veteran major league ball players. Those kind of guys aren't really in high demand.

He signed a ball for one of my kids years ago. He's a nice guy.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Just curious, but Moeller's only productive season higher than A ball was a 200 AB, .318/.401/.517 in the PCL at age 27.

He's never shown the plate discipline that Hanigan is displaying. The southern league is a big time pitchers league. While he doesn't have much power, walking in 20% of your plate appearances is impressive at any level. He only had about 500 PA at AA prior to this year, not 2 full seasons.

I have no doubts he's not a major league starter, but is he really not deserving of a spot over Chad Moeller who has a proven inability to hit major league pitching (.226/.286/.350)?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Any chatcher who can take a walk has a huge advantage over alot of catchers. Even if he were to hit .240 in the majors, if his walk total stays where it is at he'd have a .340 OBP. A .340 OBP is pretty darn good for a catcher. With Tatum getting the call to AA, I wouldn't be surprised if Hanigan got a boost to AAA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

He did.

Following Wednesday's win, catcher Ryan Hanigan was promoted to Triple-A Louisville. Hanigan hit .299 in 60 games with the Lookouts, with 14 doubles and 27 RBIs. Replacing Hanigan today will be catcher Craig Tatum, a third-round pick of the Cincinnati Reds in 2004. Tatum hit .320 in 58 games at high Single-A Sarasota with 10 home runs and 39 RBIs
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Turn Off Ads?