Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Just how good has David Weathers been?

Just how good has David Weathers been?

I think it's pretty well known amongst Reds fans that the bullpen, outside of David Weathers, has been terrible. But just how good has Weathers been? Let's look at the numbers...

On the year, DW is 1-3 with a 3.32 ERA. He has 15 saves and leads the league in 4+ out saves with 8 (next closest is J.J. Putz with 6). In 38 IP, he's got 32 Ks (solid K/9 of 7.6) compared to only 11 walks (K/BB ratio of ~3). But what I find to be most impressive is the fact that he's holding opposing batters to a line of .196/.255/.333/.588. Some might point to a "lucky" BABIP of .234, but I don't see hitters getting good wood on the ball all that often. He induces a lot of pop-ups and weak grounders that won't go for base hits too often.

I hate to think just how bad of shape this bullpen would be in without Stormy, but that's probably going to be the case in the not too distant future. A guy who's putting up those kind of numbers on a dismal team screams for a trade, and IMHO he could bring back a nice prospect or two. If DW is traded, I'd like to see it when his value is at its highest. Like say, now through the next couple of weeks.
    Last edited by Screwball; 06-30-2007 at 10:59 PM. Reason: beer

2. Turn Off Ads?
    got alil captain in u?

Re: Just how good has David Weathers been?

stormy leads the league in saves of 3 outs or more onlythat is a testimant of how bad this bullpen is and how good stormy has been

I remember how many Reds fans wanted Weathers DFAed after his slow start last season.

He got his nickname "Stormy" because of how exciting he made the game when he was pitching. Obviously, he has shown a lot of improvement since last year.

Hatteberg is Sean Casey

It will be interesting to see if Narrron keeps Weathers in the closers role when everyday Eddie returns or if he moves Weathers into that dreaded 8th inning role that has plagued the Reds all season.
    "YES! He rips it. Is it high enough? It's gonna be gone! Adam Dunn has done it again. Big #44 can take all day to round the bases here, thats done and gone- lookout dunner they're waitin for ya at home plate." - George Grand

"Did that just happen?" - Chris Welsch

Quote Originally Posted by He got it! View Post
    It will be interesting to see if Narrron keeps Weathers in the closers role when everyday Eddie returns or if he moves Weathers into that dreaded 8th inning role that has plagued the Reds all season.
    It's Weather's spot as long as he's here. He's been dominant this year. His WHIP is under 1.

he has been great..unlike most of the others

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    He got his nickname "Stormy" because of how exciting he made the game when he was pitching. Obviously, he has shown a lot of improvement since last year.
    I think that name would come from Stormy Weathers
    HUBBA A man who knows everything,just can't remember it all at one time.

Turn Off Ads?