Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 46 to 51 of 51

Thread: ANOTHER worthless Dunn Homer?!?!

  1. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    240

    Re: ANOTHER worthless Dunn Homer?!?!

    I think we should trade Dunn because we won't be able to afford him anyway. Yes, we can only hope to get has-beens or never-were's for Dunn, but those are the only guys in our price range.

    Then, if they day ever comes that the Reds decide they are tired of bringing knives to their gunfights, perhaps they will open up the purse strings and join the MLB clubs that recognize you need to spend money to win. Wave goodbye to the Royals, the Devil Rays, and the A's. And wave goodbye to the "small budget" excuse.

    Until then, get used to waving goodbye to talent, just when they are becoming interesting.
    Last edited by Ludwig Reds Fan; 06-30-2007 at 01:42 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,741

    Re: ANOTHER worthless Dunn Homer?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig Reds Fan View Post
    I think we should trade Dunn because we won't be able to afford him anyway. Yes, we can only hope to get has-beens or never-were's for Dunn, but those are the only guys in our price range.

    Then, if they day ever comes that the Reds decide they are tired of bringing knives to their gunfights, perhaps they will open up the purse strings and join the MLB clubs that recognize you need to spend money to win. Wave goodbye to the Royals, the Devil Rays, and the A's. And wave goodbye to the "small budget" excuse.

    Until then, get used to waving goodbye to talent, just when they are becoming interesting.
    Why do some Reds fans have this attitude?

    "Let's ditch our best player because we can't afford to pay him." I don't understand that thinking at all.

    When have the Reds ditched a star player because they didn't want to pay him?

    I for one am not about to condone that type of attitude by my favorite team.

    There is absolutely no reason to get rid of Dunn due to his salary. He is earning every dollar he makes.

    You keep the guys that are earning their money and ditch the guys that are not earning their money. It is that simple.

    The Reds are not the Devil Rays. The Reds are a profitable franchise with a loyal fan base, a new stadium and an extremely rich owner. The Reds can afford to raise their payroll significantly and still be financially sound. Don't believe the "small-market" propaganda.

    The contracts of Milton, LaRue (still paying him) and Cormier (still paying him) will come off the books after this season. We will probably try to shed the salaries of Stanton, Castro, Conine and Hatteberg this season too. That will free up about $18-20 million for us to spend this off-season. Add in a bump in payroll from the owner and we can be major players in free agency. There is no need to get rid of Dunn or Griffey just to shed their salaries.

  4. #48
    Roster glue
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Covington
    Posts
    521

    Re: ANOTHER worthless Dunn Homer?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The contracts of Milton, LaRue (still paying him) and Cormier (still paying him) will come off the books after this season. We will probably try to shed the salaries of Stanton, Castro, Conine and Hatteberg this season too. That will free up about $18-20 million for us to spend this off-season. Add in a bump in payroll from the owner and we can be major players in free agency. There is no need to get rid of Dunn or Griffey just to shed their salaries.
    Let's say for a minute that Dunn's option is picked up, giving him a de facto 3MM raise.

    The remaining salary gets one starting pitcher or one hitter and maybe a couple role players...I'd consider exercising Mr. Hat's 1.85 MM option to keep him as a role player (provided a new manager is brought in who won't bench Votto using a 1-for-10 skid as an ostensible excuse) rather than play "best of the non-roster invitees."

    I think "major player" in FA is a stretch. I would rather the extra money go towards prospects that can't make other teams' 40-man rosters, international free agency, and scouting than sign Paul Byrd and Aaron Cook. This team isn't really that close, and 2009 and beyond should be the goal.

  5. #49
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,403

    Re: ANOTHER worthless Dunn Homer?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by boognish View Post
    Let's say for a minute that Dunn's option is picked up, giving him a de facto 3MM raise.

    The remaining salary gets one starting pitcher or one hitter and maybe a couple role players...I'd consider exercising Mr. Hat's 1.85 MM option to keep him as a role player (provided a new manager is brought in who won't bench Votto using a 1-for-10 skid as an ostensible excuse) rather than play "best of the non-roster invitees."

    I think "major player" in FA is a stretch. I would rather the extra money go towards prospects that can't make other teams' 40-man rosters, international free agency, and scouting than sign Paul Byrd and Aaron Cook. This team isn't really that close, and 2009 and beyond should be the goal.
    Something that was left off in the post was quoted was Milton's 11 million coming off the books. Also, why would Hatteberg want to come back to a last place team to be a backup, and why would you want two left handed 1st baseman?

    Here are some of the salaries that will probably come off the books next year:
    Eric Milton: 10,333,333
    Kyle Loshe: 4,200,000
    Jeff Conine: 2,000,000
    Scott Hatteberg: 1,500,000
    Victor Santos: 500,000
    Total: 18,535,333

    Maybe:
    David Weathers: 2,250,000
    Mike Stanton: 2,000,000
    Total: 22,785,333

    -Juan Castro is signed for 2008, and you're not going to find anybody that wants to take on that money. I'm not sure anyone will want Stanton either.

    The Reds total payroll this year is just shy of 70,000,000. Some things you have to keep in mind for next year is some players get a raise, as well as arbitration eligible players. Gonzalez gets over a $1 million raise, Harang gets an over 2 mil. raise, Ross gets just shy of a 1 mil. raise, and Freel gets over a 1 mil raise. That's around 6 mil right there, and that doesn't include arbitration eligible players. Kick in Dunn's option, and that's 2,500,000. raise. Assuming you find takers for Stanton, you're $23,000,000 in free money shrinks to $14,000,000 and that still hasn't include arbitration eligible players. $14,000,000 is nice money to have, but it's going to be difficult to rebuild your club and get multiple, good players for that kind of money.

    Now, look what happens if you trade Dunn. You get out from his $10,500,000 contract this year, putting your starting savings at 33,285,333. Then you take out his 2 mil. raise, and add in the 7 mil you are paying you're gugys getting raises, and you're free money before arby is 26,285,333. You can do alot more with $26 mil then you can with 14 mil.

    Can the reds afford Dunn? Yes. Do that want to afford Dunn? That's another question.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  6. #50
    KungFu Fighter AtomicDumpling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hamilton, OH
    Posts
    2,741

    Re: ANOTHER worthless Dunn Homer?!?!

    Add in the $3 million we are paying LaRue this year and the $2.5 million we are paying Cormier. Now you $19.5 million to spend in free agency.

    With that kind of money we could have gotten Greg Maddux and Frank Thomas last off-season. There will be plenty of similar talent available this year.

    There is no reason we couldn't get a stud starting pitcher and a solid closer plus a few role-players.

    Factor in a boost in payroll from the owner and you have some good money to spend. Castellini won't be as miserly as Lindner was.

  7. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,616

    Re: ANOTHER worthless Dunn Homer?!?!

    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Add in the $3 million we are paying LaRue this year and the $2.5 million we are paying Cormier. Now you $19.5 million to spend in free agency.

    With that kind of money we could have gotten Greg Maddux and Frank Thomas last off-season. There will be plenty of similar talent available this year.

    There is no reason we couldn't get a stud starting pitcher and a solid closer plus a few role-players.

    Factor in a boost in payroll from the owner and you have some good money to spend. Castellini won't be as miserly as Lindner was.
    Why on earth would Frank Thomas and Greg Maddux want to come here? Any extra money the Reds have to spend on the offseason should be rolled into the farm system.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25