Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hal McCoy reports that Krivsky is ready to sell

Re: Hal McCoy reports that Krivsky is ready to sell

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Has putting a softball team out there worked? Has having a power hitting line up worked? Small ball park or not the Reds need to get some speed and some guys who can manufacture some runs. Do you really want to go through another season of the same type team? I dont trade Dunn for some pitching or speed and trade Griffey for his own sake.
    I'm not sure if you've noticed but offense is not the problem with this team (4th in runs scored). But it will be w/o Dunn and/or Griffey. Not sure Krivsky really knows what good pitching and defense is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UC_Ken View Post
    I hate to say it because of the year he's saving but Weathers would make a great trading chip. If you look at his numbers he's really having a terrific year. He'd make a great right handed set up guy for any contender who doesn't already have a great set up guy.
    I very much agree. His value won't be any higher than it is right now, and the Reds are so far out of things that he's more useful as a trading chip to bring in (solid) prospects than giving us (excellent) innings out of the 'pen.

I just wonder if he's worth a starting right fielder and starting SS.

Quote Originally Posted by CWRed View Post
    I'm not sure if you've noticed but offense is not the problem with this team (4th in runs scored). But it will be w/o Dunn and/or Griffey. Not sure Krivsky really knows what good pitching and defense is.
    This offense can only score runs when they hit home runs, thats it as long as they hit home runs the offense is great if they are not hitting home runs they struggle to score. I think the offense gets alot of runs in bunches thus inflating the stats, I am of the opinion that the offense needs to change and they need to get some speed and guys who can manufacture some runs.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    This offense can only score runs when they hit home runs, thats it as long as they hit home runs the offense is great if they are not hitting home runs they struggle to score. I think the offense gets alot of runs in bunches thus inflating the stats, I am of the opinion that the offense needs to change and they need to get some speed and guys who can manufacture some runs.
    Well, the Reds do get the greatest percentage of their runs off the longball (nearly 31%) so that's true.

However, I don't really care _how_ they score runs as long as they score more than the other team...and therein lies the rub, they ain't! And its not because they don't get 'em on, get 'em over and get 'em in. Rather, its because the pitching sucks. Mainly the bullpen but we could use a good starter too.

Yeah, it'd be nice to have a speed guy out there and a right handed power bat and a slicker the owl snot on a brass door knob CF too. But none of that will help until we can get _at least_ league average pitching.

I absolutely hope that Castellini has enough sense to prevent Krivsky from making any significant moves of any kind, as he is obviously not capable of the kind of player evaluation needed to do so. I can easily see us trading Dunn, Griffey, and Hatteberg for people who cannot help the club in any way--would-be fifth starters, relievers who can't get anybody out etc. I really think it's past time, in fact, that people on these boards mount a protest against allowing Krivsky a free hand to make any more moves.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I absolutely hope that Castellini has enough sense to prevent Krivsky from making any significant moves of any kind, as he is obviously not capable of the kind of player evaluation needed to do so. I can easily see us trading Dunn, Griffey, and Hatteberg for people who cannot help the club in any way--would-be fifth starters, relievers who can't get anybody out etc. I really think it's past time, in fact, that people on these boards mount a protest against allowing Krivsky a free hand to make any more moves.
    Good idea. Lets maintain the staus quo. I'd hate to see Wayne be given a free hand and trade away all of the talent we have in this organization. Why we might end up with the worse team in baseball. Lets keep things the way they are so we can continue to contend.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    So your telling me the guy who hired Krivsky to be a GM should prevent Krivsky from being a GM? Should he prevent Krivsky from promoting minor leaguers and drafting amateurs while he's at it?

If I were Castellini, I'd fire Krivsky two weeks ago. Krivsky's the one who has brought this team to being the worst in baseball. If he's allowed to move some more of the legitimate talent on the club for his kinds of players, he will have dug us into a hole that will take years to get out of. Whatever you think of the surrounding arguments about people brought in to replace Lopez and Kearns, the fact is he traded away two major league regulars and we have, at the moment, nothing to show for it at this level except Gary Majewski's 11-something ERA. Remember there's no reason we could not also have gotten Hamilton and Gonzalez: fact is, we have, to this point, gotten nothing in return for Lopez and Kearns. Except, of course, for Brendan Harris, who's putting up something like an .880 OPS for Tampa Bay, but whose obvious abilities weren't evident to Krivsky. Then we sent Justin Germano to Philadelphia for Rheal Cormier, acquiring, at roughly the same time, Kyle Lohse, for Zach Ward. Net loss to us about 6 million bucks and a pitcher who would be our #2 starter this year. This is not even to mention Joe Mays, Sun Woo-Kim, Victor Santos, Mike Stanton, etc. etc.--Krivsky's ideas of guys who'll help the bullpen. Add in that the #1 pick from 2006 is now hitting about .240 at low-A ball. Given this record, why would you allow Krivsky the ability to make any more moves?

It is easy to list all of Krivsky's bad moves, as there have been plenty. He has also done pretty good in the draft the last 2 years. He made a couple of good trades last year,and he needs to continue it this year.It all depends on the players Krivsky gets in return for whatever trades he makes near the deadline. I will concede Krivsky's job may be on the line if he doesn't make the best of whatever trades he makes this year. We look like we are already in rebuilding mode, and it is imperative we get a maximized return for all our trades.

At least this year Krivsky won't feel the need to panic and sell the farm for low-quality bullpen fodder. Last year he was desperate to fix the bullpen to keep the team in contention and got suckered into a lopsided trade with the Nationals. This year there is no pressure in the form of a pennant race so he can take his time and shop around for the best deal.

I hope we keep Griffey and Dunn. We should trade guys like Hatteberg, Conine, Valentin and Weathers for prospects -- not because these guys suck but rather because they are good enough to have some value. Weathers could help any bullpen. Hatteberg, Conine and Valentin would be valuable as pinch-hitters and backups for contending teams.

I am thinking in terms of the Kent Mercker for Matt Belisle trade or the Jose Guillen for Aaron Harang trade from a couple of years ago.

Players like Milton Bradley and Shea Hillenbrand are being traded this week for prospects. Our trade bait is better (and more valuable) than those chumps.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    I hope we keep Griffey and Dunn. We should trade guys like Hatteberg, Conine, Valentin and Weathers for prospects -- not because these guys suck but rather because they are good enough to have some value. Weathers could help any bullpen. Hatteberg, Conine and Valentin would be valuable as pinch-hitters and backups for contending teams.
    I agree. I think the best "deal" we'll get for Dunn is the compensatory draft picks in 2009 if he walks as a FA.

no where to go but up...the only way this team can win is to score 7,8 10 runs.. we are going to have to build through the farm...no one is going to trade us the pieces we need to fix this thing... GOOD relief pitching...

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I agree. I think the best "deal" we'll get for Dunn is the compensatory draft picks in 2009 if he walks as a FA.
    Yes. The 1st round compensatory pick would likely evolve into a better player than we would receive in a trade for Dunn. It would take a few years to pay off but it would be better in the long run.

I'm not sure I understand the logic of trading David Weathers. Bullpen is obviously our very worst part of the team, though I think the starting pitching has been vastly overrated as well. So what it is we would hope to get for Weathers that will be more valuable to us for the next two years than Weathers himself? Hatteberg, Conine, and Valentin all can be replaced. That seems to me less true of Weathers.

I agree that Weathers would be a good guy to keep. He is signed through next season at $2.5 million per year. He is our best reliever by far.

That said, he is also probably our best trading chip too. His trade value is higher right now than it ever has been or is likely to be in the future.

Turn Off Ads?