Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Thomas hits #500

The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Thomas hits #500

About freakin' time.

Good Job Frank.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

He's one of several first ballot HOFers that are currently playing.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    He's one of several first ballot HOFers that are currently playing.
    I dont think he is a first ballot HOF anymore. Over the last couple of seasons he has really dont nothing other than DH. He has also been injury riddled but I just don't see his DH inflated numbers allowing him to be a first ballot HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I dont think he is a first ballot HOF anymore. Over the last couple of seasons he has really dont nothing other than DH. He has also been injury riddled but I just don't see his DH inflated numbers allowing him to be a first ballot HOF.
    From 1991-1997, Frank Thomas was one of the greatest hitters the game had ever seen since Mickey Mantle retired. What he's done since then has just been icing on the cake.

If that's not a Hall of Famer, I'm not sure what is.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    From 1991-1997, Frank Thomas was one of the greatest hitters the game had ever seen since Mickey Mantle retired. What he's done since then has just been icing on the cake.

Right, for his career he's .303/.423/.562. However, it's his insane numbers at firstbase (a little under half his PAs) put up largely before he became injury-riddled that will get him in on the frst ballot (PA: 4334; .337/.453/.625).
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

If he's not first ballot then the whole system is broken.
    Go Gators!

Big Hurt has long been one of my favorites. I'm glad he finally hit it.

I tend to shut off my brain at the 500 HR mark. I find Frank Thomas' last decade mostly underwhelming, but at some point you have wonder whether you're arguing overly much with the premise.

The guy has cleared pretty much every HOF hurdle there is in terms of career performance. His career numbers are ridiculously large. Despite my reservations about the DH (where he's spent most of his career), he won two MVPs as a 1B and he's easily the best overall hitter who's ever spent the majority of his career in the DH slot (and he's the major reason why Edgar Martinez isn't making it to Cooperstown).
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

First ballot Hall of Famer in my book. Congrats to the Big Hurt on number 500.

Maybe we should make this thread sticky and re-title it "X hits 500".
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

He's a first ballot HOFer, IMO. BTW he enjoyed hitting number 500 so much he got kick out the game in the 9th for arguing balls and strikes. I guess he wanted to start celebrating early.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Haunted by walks

Biggio hits 3,000 tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

Amen.
    Milestone night for two future Hall of Famers, with The Big Hurt's 500th HR and Biggio's 3000th hit. and
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?