Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ESPN: Hillenbrand to Yanks?

ESPN: Hillenbrand to Yanks?

Thought I would post this, the Angels are likely to DFA Shea Hillenbrand and the Yankees are interested in acquiring him instead of trading for Hatteburg. My wife's family is connected to Shea, and they believe this is likely, depending on how they work out compensation. ESPN is reporting this as well.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN: Hillenbrand to Yanks?

I thought that he was already DFA'd. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees picked him up, but I don't think he'll help them much.

Didn't the Blue Jays DFA him a few years ago?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I thought that he was already DFA'd. I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees picked him up, but I don't think he'll help them much.
    Maybe, the news from my wife is at least 30 hours old. I just heard it from her. Stands to reason that she wouldn't tell her baseball fan husband about that, but I did hear about her cousin's new boyfriend for quite awhile, yesterday.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Didn't the Blue Jays DFA him a few years ago?
    Last year after the incident with Gibbons. He was having a pretty good year too.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Maybe, the news from my wife is at least 30 hours old. I just heard it from her. Stands to reason that she wouldn't tell her baseball fan husband about that, but I did hear about her cousin's new boyfriend for quite awhile, yesterday.
    Your right...he hasn't been DFA'd yet. But he was told that he would be.

Angels notes: It's time to Shea goodbye
    BY BEN VILLA, Staff Writer
    Inside SOCAL
    Article Last Updated:06/27/2007 10:38:24 PM PDT

ANAHEIM - Shea Hillenbrand, one of the Angels' main offseason acquisitions, was told Wednesday by manager Mike Scioscia he would be designated for assignment Friday and would not be traveling with the team to Baltimore.

On Tuesday, Hillenbrand publicly stated for the first time that he wanted to be traded if he wasn't going to play.

"Shea spoke his mind the other day about wanting to be traded and I don't have a problem with that," Scioscia said. "Shea has been great and ultra- professional the whole year."

Hillenbrand is a career .285hitter and he came to the Angels this season after he signed a one-year, $6 million deal to be their regular designated hitter.

However, Hillenbrand's Angel career got off to a rocky start when he suffered a groin injury just days into the season and since then, he never regained his stroke. He never supplied the Angels with the power they were hoping for.

He only batted .254 this season with three home runs and 22 RBIs.

In recent days, even with Casey Kotchman injured after heout of the lineup with a concussion, Scioscia chose not to put Hillenbrand in the starting lineup at first base, a position he has played in the past. Instead, the Angels called up Kendry Morales, who had started there the past two games.

The Angels now have 10 days to either trade Hillenbrand or grant him his outright release.

"I think it's always surprising as a player when something like this happens," Hillenbrand said. "I have mixed reactions right now. On one hand, I love this place. I was a free agent and I chose to come here. The Angels are a classy organization and the fans were unbelievable and awesome. Even when I struggled, they still supported me. I'm just grateful for the opportunity I had to come and play for this organization.

"On the other hand, it's probably a good thing this did happen. I'm still at a point in my career where I need to play on a daily basis."

According to Major League Baseball rules, in order to designate somebody for assignment, another roster move has to be made.

The Angels weren't ready to make that move because Reggie Willits suffered a contusion in his right knee after he crashed into the center field fence in the seventh inning and the team needed an extra day to evaluate Willits and explore all their options.

Would George even consider acquiring a player named Shea, or would Hillenbrand have to change his name?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Hatte's a better hitter. Not as much power but can work a count and make contact... But Shea is going to come cheap to them compared to dealing with the Reds

Hopefully, this is a deal that is leaked in the press to get Wayne to make his offer a bit sweeter and hopefully, he can do that. The Reds match up (with Weathers and maybe Dunn as well) to the Yankees' needs VERY well.

When exactly does Shea Hillenbrand turn into the second coming of Jeff Bagwell? I keep waiting for that to happen.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Turn Off Ads?