Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Copa America

Re: Copa America

The ref mercifully blows the whistle to signal the end of the punishment.

Final Score: Argentina 4 - USA 1

Kasey Keller should not be between the goalposts for the remainder of this tournament (or any other time for the Nats from this time forward).

It is painfully obvious that his time as an International-level keeper is past.

Hmm... wonder why he doesn't have a club??

The good news: We still have two very winnable games in front of us with excellent prospects of advancing on.

Argentina, however, just handed us a good ole fashioned ass-whooping.

Our #1, top-flite A squad versus the Argentina that we just played? I'd give us even odds of getting a result. Of course, that and a buck will get you a cup of joe most places.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The second goal seemed to break the spirit of our young squad. Argentina was flying tonight. They should probably win this tournament. This is their world cup team.

Since there's been no reply after the Paraguay game, I'll post my thoughts here.
    Especially for the "B" squad, that was a very impressive result. Though the 3-1 loss looks ugly, and was uglier than the actual game, I'll take it.

I'm not sure anyone had any realistic expectations to go to this tournament and advance. Especially with Argentina in the group.

In this game especially, the offensive effort was great, although the final touch was lacking, it's been a long time since I've seen any US squad create as many chances as this one did.
    It's the first time I've seen Eddie Johnson play well in a game where he didn't score.
    Phenomonal effort all game by Ricardo Clark. And Falhaeber was pretty solid too.

The back line was out of sorts, Bornsteins lazy back pass led to Paraguay's second goal and was completely inexcusable.
    Also Taylor Twellman is so weak finishing when playing for the National team, it's remarkable to think he's a top flight forward in MLS.

Anyway, get a win against Columbia and I'm happy even if the team doesn't advance. Given Venezuala and Uruguay's snooze fest it doesn't look like it will be possible to move on.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

My problem lies with Bob Bradley and Sunil Galatil.

Bringing these boys to this tournament expecting anything other than an ass-whoooping was pure idiocy.

M2 could not have been more correct and I am very discouraged in what this means for US Soccer, despite the few standout performances.

And Kasey Keller: You should've retired yesterday.

Your performances in these matches has been embarrassing.

I'm curious WilyMo, I thought Keller performed pretty well. The last goal was admittedly a little soft, but the first two goals he was completely hung out to dry on. Did you think he should have been able to stop either of those?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

- Very slow and hesitant coming off his line
    - Falls backwards almost ALWAYS now on save attempts --> Clear indicator of failing reflexes
    - Poor distribution (granted, Kasey's distribution has always been horrid)
    - Just like in the World Cup, he does not appear capable and has not made, any sort of save that could be deemed anything more than ordinary; and some of those "ordinary" saves he has made into adventures and/or goals for the opposing squad
    - You simply don't (or I don't anyway) get the impression that KK is capable at this point of making the sort of world-class, game-saving type save that could change the complexion of a game. Tim Howard, on the other hand, gives me that "feeling" every time he steps onto the pitch.

In the last game Kasey was like a dinosaur coming off his line to claim a cross, was totally indecisive when faced with the decision whether or not to come out and challenge a player and ended up flopping backwards,

I was a 2nd team All-State Goalkeeper in HS and played in college, so I always really focus on the play of a GK in games that I watch.

Kasey has been below-average at times and horrible at others.

Hell, he almost got beat in the last game from a shot at absolutely no angle whatsoever. He barely managed to get a glove on it.

His time with the Nats is through.

Few professionals see the writing on the wall.

Check this article: http://pinoysoccer.com/football-in-a...etirement.html

There's a reason no top-flite clubs are knocking down the door.

KK clearly thinks he's too good for MLS.

I watch quite a bit of MLS and there *might* be a team or TWO at the most, whose keeper he would unseat for a starting role.

Also: If this tournament was going to be used as an assessment of our youngest and MOST immature talent, why the hell wasn't Guzan starting? At least against Paraguay?

I'm becoming less a fan of Bob Bradley day by day.

M2, feel free to gloat buddy.

And answer my question: Who in the hell thought it'd be a good idea to send these kids to get embarrassed and beat-down while the world watched?

I really thought we would be sending a much stronger squad to CA, and you couldn't have been more correct in your initial assessment of what would conspire at CA.

Copa America?? Sounds like a gay dance club.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.....
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Copa America?? Sounds like a gay dance club.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.....
    I heard there was one down in Florida??

Anything you want to tell us, Puff????

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    M2, feel free to gloat buddy.

And answer my question: Who in the hell thought it'd be a good idea to send these kids to get embarrassed and beat-down while the world watched?

I really thought we would be sending a much stronger squad to CA, and you couldn't have been more correct in your initial assessment of what would conspire at CA.
    No gloating. Bradley needs to figure out how to get his team to play at this level. That's his challenge. It's the next frontier for the U.S. national program. These are the big dogs the U.S. team is running with at the Copa. They're in a bracket with three World Cup quality clubs.

Though you can see why I'd like to blend the two federations. Imagine the World Cup qualifying matches against opponents of this quality? That's what steels you for the Cup, fighting for your very survival against the best in the world. I've seen broadcasts of qualifiers played in Montevideo and Asuncion, it's blood sport.

The good news is the kids are playing well so far in the U-20 World Cup. They get the Brazilians tomorrow.
    Last edited by M2; 07-05-2007 at 08:44 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The good news is the kids are playing well so far in the U-20 World Cup. They get the Brazilians tomorrow.
    Altidore gives the US a 1-0 lead in the 26th minute...beautifully struck. What a game this has been so far.

Freddy Adu, in my opinion, is making himself millions. What a last couple games he has had. He needs to go to Europe.

Also, Altidore could be the pure finisher the Americans have been waiting for. He, like Adu, needs to go to Europe. These two certainly give hope to the future of American soccer.

I hope my Brazilian friends finally shut up about their soccer "superiority".

(watching Brazil v. Chile)

I want my wife to be from Brazil. English fluency optional.

Turn Off Ads?