Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is Marcus McBeth the unluckiest pitcher ever?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Is Marcus McBeth the unluckiest pitcher ever?

Does it seem like every single hit (besides J-Roll's last night) off of him is a blooper? He gave up a bloop double to Miles, and a DP ball that wasn't because of where Gonzalez was positioned. He's been really unlucky this year.

I hope Jerry and Wayne stick with him, because those bloopers will start turning into outs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Re: Is Marcus McBeth the unluckiest pitcher ever?

Hes our set up man, and I think he could be a good one, but until he gets his luck back, I dont think he should be there.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Talkin' Baseball

Yes, he is unlucky. He throws the ball well but doesn't really have an "out pitch." He shouldn't be in that position at this point in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by JLB5 View Post
    Yes, he is unlucky. He throws the ball well but doesn't really have an "out pitch." He shouldn't be in that position at this point in his career.
    He's thrown a TOTAL of about 130 innings in his 2+ year pitching career. Can't really expect him to do a whole lot at the major league level.

I thought the 1st hit he gave up in the Phillies finale should have been an error on Hatteberg. He got a great bounce right up to his mitt but he whiffed on it. If Hatteberg had made that play then McBeth would have been out of the inning while preserving the lead. It was a play that should have been made and it cost the Reds the game.

Roster glue

This thread sounds an awful lot like what many were saying about Majewski's performance last season. Until McBeth can iron out his slider and start getting more K's, it's the same BABIP game that is played with any pitcher who doesn't strike out a lot of people. The Reds are and likely will remain one of the worst DER teams in the league, and those who do not K enough guys are going to remain susceptible.

Narron needs to use McBeth and the other young guys in the bullpen (especially McBeth and Couter, who are quite new to pitching) appropriately so that they can gain experience and gain some long-term benefit from this lost, craptastic season.

When Billy Beane and David Forst are willing to trade a young pitcher for a 4th OF who is out for the season, warning sirens should be blaring in the other GM's ear to be very careful. To date, McBeth looks like a very hittable MLB pitcher who does not possess the ability to make bats miss the ball. He needs further development in AAA to learn the craft of pitching.

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    He needs further development in AAA to learn the craft of pitching.
    You could make the same argument about Homer Bailey, but Reds fans in general thinks he can continue his development in Cincinnati. Why is it different with McBeth or anyone else?

In an ideal situation you wouldn't want any of these young relievers being put in the situations they are, but this bullpen isn't an ideal situation. These youngsters are going to go through periods of inconsistancy so I can't knock any of them for struggling in pressure situations from time to time.

Roster glue

Quote Originally Posted by dougflynn23 View Post
    When Billy Beane and David Forst are willing to trade a young pitcher for a 4th OF who is out for the season, warning sirens should be blaring in the other GM's ear to be very careful. To date, McBeth looks like a very hittable MLB pitcher who does not possess the ability to make bats miss the ball. He needs further development in AAA to learn the craft of pitching.
    Why can he not learn against MLB hitters? I think McBeth will be a fine, cheap option, and experience putting MLB hitters away once he gets ahead will be quite valuable going forward. He is potentially a big part of the solution.

Beane and Forst have had their share of misses as well...but I see this deal as possibly working out for both teams even though Denorfia could have been a nice piece; precluding us from playing the likes of Hopper in 2008 and beyond. It is far too early to pan this acquisition.

McBeth's BABIP against is .370, so it's safe to say he's gotten hit "unlucky" so far this season.

Also, I really don't see the problem with him pitching in the majors versus AAA. This season's already over, so why not go with young pitchers? I especially like it because by getting his feet wet now, we should see a nice improvement next year (or at least I hope anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    McBeth's BABIP against is .370, so it's safe to say he's gotten hit "unlucky" so far this season.

Also, I really don't see the problem with him pitching in the majors versus AAA. This season's already over, so why not go with young pitchers? I especially like it because by getting his feet wet now, we should see a nice improvement next year (or at least I hope anyway).
    Agreed. Last nights blown lead was one of the least painful for me because of who blew it. McBeth, Coutlangus, and Salmon. Might was well let the young guys pitch and get them some expierence. They'll get better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

got alil captain in u?

he's young let him get his lumps in. Pitching in AAA this season is not going to be as beneficail to mcbeth as pitching in the majors.

Turn Off Ads?