Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golfers

Golfers

I don't know too much about the courses in the 'nati, so I was looking for some help. Feel free to add other categories if you want.

Nicest course:
    Cheapest course:
    Course with the best deals:
    Easiest course:
    Toughest course:
    Your "home" course:
    Favorite course (considering all factors):

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Golfers

I won't answer all of these, but my favorite public course in the Cincy Area is Shaker Run. But it is clear up in Lebanon, so some might not consider it a Cincy area course. Of course, there are a few new courses I haven't played, such as Elks Run or Stonelick Hills, both in Batavia. I hear both are very nice.

As for cheapest course, take your pick among a few dozen. Cincy has no shortage of cheap muni's and many of them aren't bad either.

As for best deal, I'd have to go with Blu Ash Golf Course. It's a very well conditioned and nice layout course and I think it's only like $30 to play.

Another less well known course that I really enjoy is Aston Oaks. You can usually get some good deals there through golfus.com or ezlinks.com.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Nicest course: Legendary Run or Stonelick Hills
    Cheapest course: Avon Fields or Reeves
    Course with the best deals: Most courses during the week or after 2 on weekends
    Easiest course: Reeves
    Toughest course: Blue Ash for me at least
    Your "home" course: Glenview
    Favorite course (considering all factors): Legendary Run

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm not qualified to answer too many of these questions because I usually only play the inexpensive ones. I live about a mile and a half from Fairfield Greens, so I play the majority of my golf there. I've played Avon Fields a few times and thought it wasn't bad. I kind of like Hillview as well. I've played better maintained courses, but I ilke the scenery around there and I just enjoy the course for some reason. I've played over at Winton Woods a couple times and thought it was fairly nice too.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post
    I don't know too much about the courses in the 'nati, so I was looking for some help. Feel free to add other categories if you want.

Nicest course:
    Cheapest course:
    Easiest course:
    Toughest course:
    Your "home" course:
    Public Courses....

Nicest - Walden Pond
    Cheapest - Any of the Hamilton County Park District Courses or Cincinnati Parks and Rec Courses
    Best deals - Hamilton County Park District Courses
    Easiest - Little Miami
    Toughest - Elks Run (The One out in Batavia)
    Home - Used to be Blue Ash
    Favorite - Links at Grand Victoria

Private Courses....

Nicest - Camargo CC
    Cheapest - IIRC Traditions had the cheapest guest fee
    Best deals - N/A
    Easiest - Beckett Run
    Toughest - Camargo CC
    Home - Used to belong to O'Bannon Creek for awhile
    Favorite - Camargo CC

Yay!

I'll represent the slightly north of Cincinnati area:

Nicest: Shaker Run, Lebanon
    Cheapest: Holly Hills, Waynesville
    Best deals: lastminutegolfer.com, several courses available... otherwise, Weatherwax GC, Middletown
    Easiest: Jamaica Run, Carlisle
    Toughest: Hueston Woods, Oxford
    Home: Weatherwax
    Favorite: Weatherwax and Shaker Run
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Nicest - Walden Pond
    Cheapest - A lot of courses have deals after certain times. Look for after 5 or after 2-3 on weekends.
    Best deals - I will take Walden Pond after 5 for around $30 with cart
    Easiest - Too many out there. Reeves and Avon are pretty easy
    Toughest - Shaker. Hard greens and think rough
    Home - Western Hills CC
    Favorite - Shaker/Vineyard/Walden Pond there are some courses that I would go out and pay to play.

Private Courses....

Nicest - Camargo CC
    Cheapest - Deer Run has some pretty cheap membership
    Best deals - N/A
    Easiest - Deer Run
    Toughest - Coldstream is a tough long course.
    Home - Western Hills
    Favorite - Camargo is a great course to play.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I'll represent the slightly north of Cincinnati area:

Nicest: Shaker Run, Lebanon
    Cheapest: Holly Hills, Waynesville
    Best deals: lastminutegolfer.com, several courses available... otherwise, Weatherwax GC, Middletown
    Easiest: Jamaica Run, Carlisle
    Toughest: Hueston Woods, Oxford
    Home: Weatherwax
    Favorite: Weatherwax and Shaker Run
    I'll also pluf lastminutegolfer.com. You can get on to Shaker Run for $34 with a cart through that site. I'll also plug Hueston Woods. It also has a great twilight deal at all you cna play with a cart for $25. It's a fun layout, but pretty long. Unfortunately, it's not as well-conditioned as it used to be. It used to be kept up very nice, but now it's average. I've played this course probably 40 times over the past decade.

I'm not quite the fan of Walden Pond that others are. Not sure why, but I just don't get all that excited about it. I've played there probably a half dozen times.

And also a plug for Weatherwax (I'll be playing there Thursday morning). It's one of the best kept secrets in the Cincy area. Best deal going.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I'll also pluf lastminutegolfer.com. You can get on to Shaker Run for $34 with a cart through that site. I'll also plug Hueston Woods. It also has a great twilight deal at all you cna play with a cart for $25. It's a fun layout, but pretty long. Unfortunately, it's not as well-conditioned as it used to be. It used to be kept up very nice, but now it's average. I've played this course probably 40 times over the past decade.
    I haven't been on Hueston Woods for a few years. The Mrs. and I used to enjoy camping there quite a bit with nice hiking trails, a real nice mountain bike trail(s), a little fishing, some golf, and a campfire.

The Hueston Woods twilight deal was pretty sweet. IIRC the course was pretty long with the ladies tees averaging about 80 yds or so shorter per hole. This made playing against Mrs. Gonelong a pretty even deal and great fun.

GL

Yay!

And also a plug for Weatherwax (I'll be playing there Thursday morning). It's one of the best kept secrets in the Cincy area. Best deal going.
    You can see that house that I grew up in from #4 Meadows fairway. At least you can when the leaves are off.

With 36 holes, Weatherwax never gets old, even though I could play all 4 nines in my sleep.

I'm with you on Walden Ponds. I'm almost scared to play at some place where I could knock the ketchup bottle off a family's dinner table. I feel no remorse for hitting trees, however.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlegs23 View Post

Nicest course:
    Cheapest course:
    Easiest course:
    Toughest course:
    Your "home" course:
    I'll follow Highlife's lead.

Public courses:

Nicest course: Stonelick Hills. For everyone who loves Shaker Run, play Stonelick. It might not be as pretty as Shaker, but it's a much better golf course.
    Cheapest course: The CRC courses are pretty cheap.
    Best Deals: H.C.P.D. (Sharon Woods, Vineyard, Whitewater, The Mill). I'm biased because I work at one of the courses, but they are very good and reasonably priced.
    Easiest course: Reeves
    Toughest Course: Shaker Run
    Home Course: The Mill Course, Sharon Woods, and Brown's Run CC
    Favorite Public: Stonelick Hills

Private Courses:

Nicest course: Camargo. I worked there for 2 years so I was really able to appreciate it. It's awesome!
    Cheapest: Not really sure, but I know many have some good deals.
    Best deal: Brown's Run in Middletown.
    Easiest: All of them.
    Toughest: The Heritage
    Home: Brown's Run
    Favorite: Camargo

I've recently played 3 courses out in the Batavia/Milford area. One was great (Stonelick Hills), one was decent (Elk Run), and one was abysmal (Cedar Trace).
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

I'm not quite the fan of Walden Pond that others are. Not sure why, but I just don't get all that excited about it. I've played there probably a half dozen times.

Lastminutegolfer has a special going on the rest of the season. For all their Cincy/Dayton area courses, whenever the reds when back-to-back home games the Red Flag Specials for the next day are only $20. Since they started the promotion I think it has happened once but you never know.
    Never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Just booked a last minute tee time for Shaker Run tomorrow at 7:25 for $35 cart included. I'm back home visiting, so I'm trying to get my fill in while I'm here.

Red Hook, I've heard the same thing about Stonelick Hills, but not having lived in the area for over 3 years I've not had the chance to play. Plus, I'm a bargain shopper for golf. I like to play as much as I can and I have a yearly golf budget, so I look out for the deals. It's not outrageous, but it's a little more expensive than some of the other courses I love to play. Considering I'm only in town a week a year, and I can't play every day I'm here, and I generally play with my dad who doesn't have much money, I just haven't been able to get out there.

Now if you know of a way to get on there for some kind of discount, I'll be more than willing to change Thursday from Weatherwax (I play there a lot) to there.

Also, nice call on The Mill Course. Living in Fairfield most of my life and with that being where I visit, it's very convenient for a quick round. I'm surprised it's not mentioned more in discussions of some of the nicer and less expensive courses. It's a great layout and very nicely conditioned. I've played there many a time.

I havn't played many courses in this area in about 5-10 years. I have primarily played western hills since I no longer play competitive golf. What I do rememeber is that Sharon Woods and The Vineyards were two of my favorite courses. As a jr golfer they also were very cheap. I am a big fan of Walden Pond because they offer a good golf course to every kind of player. Aston Oaks is a fun course but you must take a cart. If there are any golfers from around the West Chester or Dayton area I would strongly suggest taking off work a little early and getting the twilight rate at Heatherwood. That is a great golf course. Also if there are any people out there who want to go and play a great golf course try Longaberger. It is in the middle of nowhere but it is a fabulous course. It is difficult to get on to and you need to make tee time probably in march or know someone but it is fantastic. Also head south of the river and try Kenton County courses or Lasing Point. Lasing Point it right by Ryle HS and it is one of my favorite courses to play. It is also pretty inexpensive being around $30-40 without cart though.

I ust got an email from Legenday Run giving me a coupon for $100 for a foursome with a cart. I might do that Friday morning.

Turn Off Ads?