Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Mutiny of the Pirates fans

Haunted by walks

Mutiny of the Pirates fans

And they're 4 and a half games ahead of us...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....protest.0708/

Pirates fans group pushing in-game walkout Saturday
    Posted: Friday Jun 29, 2007 7:32 PM

PITTSBURGH (AP) -The Pittsburgh Pirates, stuck in a 15th consecutive losing season, don't sell out PNC Park that often. On one of the few nights they will, some fans don't plan to stick around long.

With only the third capacity crowd of the season expected for a Bob Walk bobblehead doll giveaway Saturday night, some longtime rooters led by businessman Andy Chomos of Wexford, Pa., want those attending the game against Washington to walk out in protest of ownership's perceived lack of direction.

Fans are being urged to wear green - to represent ownership's lack of financial commitment to fielding a winning team - and leave their seats after the third inning.

The Chomos-led group called Fans for Change wants protesting fans to either exit the ballpark or stay away at least one inning, with the empty seats they create representing the supposed empty promises the Pirates have made to them.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

Re: Mutiny of the Pirates fans

More confusing...there were 35,000 fans in GABPl ast night for a club 20 games under .500.

Either Reds fans are extremely loyal or totally bored.

That could be the Reds in a few years
    Go Gators!

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    That could be the Reds in a few years
    Nah, totally different fan base. The Pirates have always struggled to draw, even in the good years. In the 70s, they were never higher than 5th in the league in attendance, and what is really eye-popping is that they were 10th of 12 in the "We Are Family" year. Apparently, a lot of the family didn't bother to show up.

They are generally something to occupy time until the Steelers training camp starts.
    Last edited by traderumor; 06-30-2007 at 05:24 PM.

I admire the Pirate fans for trying to do what they can.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

A little of each?
    Go Gators!

Will REDS' fans boo Bonds in the next series?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Will REDS' fans boo Bonds in the next series?
    I will.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    More confusing...there were 35,000 fans in GABPl ast night for a club 20 games under .500.

Half of them were Cardinals fans. I was almost embarrassed to be there because the Cardinals cheers were louder than the Reds cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by wally post View Post
    I admire the Pirate fans for trying to do what they can.

Exactly,I hope this opens the eyes to all the small market teams fans that are struggling to win with a small payroll. I would loooove to see the reds fans do that.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

I echo your thoughts cam. I was at the game Friday night, too, and I felt like I was in St. Louis. I had my 6 year old little brother with me and he wanted to know why the crowd cheered every time the Cardinals did something well. That one was tough to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I echo your thoughts cam. I was at the game Friday night, too, and I felt like I was in St. Louis. I had my 6 year old little brother with me and he wanted to know why the crowd cheered every time the Cardinals did something well. That one was tough to explain.
    I was at the Friday game. I thought there were fewer Cardinal fans there than usual for a summertime weekend game. But then I enjoy having alot of Cardinal fans there- seems more exciting. After striking conversations up with them in hotels in series past, they are alot more astute as a group than fans of some of the other teams.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

The Pirates problem is more management than money. The Littlefield era has been a failure and they need to hire some new blood and try again.

Turn Off Ads?