Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: RedZone Didja Knows...

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: RedZone Didja Knows...

The DeMaris Springs, near Cody, Wyoming, are named after an ancestor of mine, Charles DeMaris. He founded the area that later became known as Cody and the springs still bear his name. I was named after him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

WOY and I can trace our ancestors in the US back to 1678.
    School's out. What did you expect?

My wife can trace hers back to William the Conqueror

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    WOY and I can trace our ancestors in the US back to 1678.
    My folks were still in Galway then. I hear RFS can trace his parents to about the same time.

My paternal grandmother's maiden name was Halley. We are some distant relation to Sir Edmond Halley, the comet guy...Old Uncle Ed we call him. We still haven't seen a dime from all that comet money either.

My wife's maiden name is Ruth. My father in law has traced their family history back and there is a connection to Babe Ruth. He was my father in law's grandpa's cousin, or some such thing.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My wife can trace hers back to William the Conqueror
    Hmmm. I don't know--records going that far back tend to be awfully specious. Not saying it's not possible, but in the research I've done even tracing back the lineage of a work to a particular author, records can get awfully muddy. Recordkeeping in England tended to be better than in most countries on the continent, but massive purges of records through war, fires, flooding and the like makes verification of something like that awfully difficult.

But again, I'm not saying it's impossible.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Hmmm. I don't know--records going that far back tend to be awfully specious. Not saying it's not possible, but in the research I've done even tracing back the lineage of a work to a particular author, records can get awfully muddy. Recordkeeping in England tended to be better than in most countries on the continent, but massive purges of records through war, fires, flooding and the like makes verification of something like that awfully difficult.

But again, I'm not saying it's impossible.
    The funny thing is that his wife would likely be thrilled to find out it wasn't true.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    My folks were still in Galway then.
    Ditto. Except mine were in Derry.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

My mom's side of the family has direct connects to the Lee family of Virginia, e.g. Robert E Lee and Light Horse Harry Lee.

My dad's side got traced back to a horse thief that got hung and a infamous bank robber. At which time my dad abandoned his geneology project.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    My dad's side got traced back to a horse thief that got hung and a infamous bank robber. At which time my dad abandoned his geneology project.

'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Allegidly my fathers side has traced themselves back to the Hessians that came over during the Revolutionary war. My mothers side is related to George Meade, the civil war general.

I've seen the documents for both sides, but one was when I was about 8 and the other was so big I didn't really read it.

But the claim has been made.

My great great great (?) uncle was a personal assistant to Custer. In short, he would do Custer's readin and writing.

My grandfather was the youngest person in NY history to run a speakeasy during the depression.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

I recently found out that my great-grandmother was born in the same small town on the Serbian/Romanian border where Johnny Weismuller, a.k.a. Tarzan is alleged to have been born (appears to be some dispute). I knew where she was born, so it was quite a surprise when I found out that the town was erecting a statue in honor of Weismuller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Me%C4%91a
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Once I drank a beer in the Mayor's office at City Hall in Columbus, Ohio.

On my 10th birthday, a letter I wrote was sealed up in a cornerstone at City Hall in Lima, Ohio. The time capsule will be opened in 2082 when I'm 110 years old.

Had I answered one more question correctly when I took the GMAT, I would have qualified for membership in MENSA.

I've run from the cops. And been caught.

Turn Off Ads?