Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Inexpensive decent computer?

Inexpensive decent computer?

I am wanting to purchase a decent computer for my kids to word process, web browse, computer games, etc... Nothing fancy at all, Windows XP, Pentium 2 or 3, again nothing fancy. Not a big Dell fan, and I understand Walmart sells alot of crap. Any online deals that you all are aware of? I was even thinking of something refurbished.

Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Inexpensive decent computer?

Good luck finding a machine with XP. Microsoft seems to have strong-armed the manufacturers to only sell 'em with Vista now.

Circuit City has had a recurring sale lately of a $199 eMachines desktop. I believe the out the door price is around $300 and you have to submit a couple of rebates.
    /r/reds

Try the following link. You can find some very good deals through this site if you look hard enough.

http://www.xpbargains.com/

If you are willing to build it yourself, you can save 25-60% on a system.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Time is the Revelator.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Werd. Do this, and get your kids involved. They'll learn a lot and it'd be a fun project.

How serious are you about computer games? Do you mean newer ones? Building a system capable of handling newer graphical intensive games for a good period of time can get expensive.

It's always significantly cheaper to build it yourself. There are some fairly decent online stores that will put it together for you and provide you with a warranty.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I built a top of the line system for about $350. With no prior cpu building experience. I used the money I saved to buy a 20" widescreen flat LCD & a top of the line Logitech speaker system and upgraded my Wireless Router.

But if you have to buy it yourself, newegg.com has 16 available between $300 & 400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...24300+-+%24400

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Good luck finding a machine with XP. Microsoft seems to have strong-armed the manufacturers to only sell 'em with Vista now.

Circuit City has had a recurring sale lately of a $199 eMachines desktop. I believe the out the door price is around $300 and you have to submit a couple of rebates.
    I bought my daughter an eMachine last year and it has been an excellent computer.

I bought a Dell desktop for my son about 6 months ago (around $450), and he does alot of gaming. He has no complaints.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    How much will I save if you build it for me?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

My brother and I got our parents an Emachine for Christmas. They have been pleased with it. For basic computing needs it does the trick.

All dyslexics must untie!

There's always someone selling one of these older PCs on craigslist for $75-100

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/sys/

(this one looks good, you might want more RAM though)

http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/sys/367516931.html
    Last edited by gm; 07-06-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    Never overlook the obvious

Turn Off Ads?