Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Padres passed on Dunn because price was too high

Padres passed on Dunn because price was too high

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6973480

The Padres went with the Barrett/Bradley acquisitions in part because the price on Adam Dunn was just too high. Wayne Krivsky could get more teams involved if he exercises Dunn's 2008 option and tries to trade him in the offseason, a la Gary Sheffield. However, unlike Sheff, Dunn has full no-trade protection until June 15th if the option is picked up. Then on June 15th it switches to a ten-team consent list of Dunn's choosing. The bottom line: the time to trade him is now.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...redsnotes.html

Scouts and club officials with other teams say that Reds General Manager Wayne Krivsky has made calls saying the Reds are looking to start dumping salary, ready to trade for top-shelf prospects as they peer toward the future. The guess is that there might be six players on the 25-man roster not included in trade talks: Aaron Harang, Homer Bailey, Josh Hamilton, Alex Gonzalez, Brandon Phillips and maybe Edwin Encarnacion.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Padres passed on Dunn because price was too high

Why would Alex Gonzalez not be made available for trade? He is one of the first players I would be looking to deal.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Why would Alex Gonzalez not be made available for trade? He is one of the first players I would be looking to deal.
    who are you going to replace him with?
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Becasue he's signed to a cheap contract, provides good defense with 750 OPS, and we have no viable replacement. Unless we get his replacemnt in the trade.

I agree Gonzalez is bargain basement right now, and since they dont want to rush their minor league SSs why not call him an untouchable.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    I would move Phillips to SS, or acquire a SS prospect in a trade. Gonzo's defense has been a bit of a disappointment this season, plus you factor in that he in an out machine at the plate. I would definitely deal him.

I was wondering if Krivsky picks up the option for 2008 that Dunn would agree to a trade to one of the 10 teams he listed after June 15 next season right now?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I was wondering if Krivsky picks up the option for 2008 that Dunn would agree to a trade to one of the 10 teams he listed after June 15 next season right now?
    I can't imagine why not. I don't want to think about it though. Krivsky is going down the wrong path in considering trading Dunn.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

I would move Phillips to SS, or acquire a SS prospect in a trade. Gonzo's defense has been a bit of a disappointment this season, plus you factor in that he in an out machine at the plate. I would definitely deal him.

The out machine has a .762 OPS, seventh among full time starting shortstops in the NL, 8th if you include Guzman of Washington who is really a part time starter. I would definitely not deal him. For the first time in ages, the Reds have a good middle infield and they are young enough to be playing in two years when the team should be better.

My guess is that the Reds will trade Hatteberg and Dunn. Weathers is a possibility but there may be pressure to keep him because they only win when he pitches. Don't know if the team wants to completely tank.

I can't imagine why not. I don't want to think about it though. Krivsky is going down the wrong path in considering trading Dunn.
    You say that, but you have no clue what Dunn is wanting for a contract next time he signs his name. Is Krivsky going down the wrong road if Dunn wants a 5 year 80 million dollar contract? how about 5 year and 90 million?

the odds of replacing the production of Gonzo are a lot better than replacing the production of Dunn or Jr.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    The out machine has a .762 OPS, seventh among full time starting shortstops in the NL, 8th if you include Guzman of Washington who is really a part time starter. I would definitely not deal him. For the first time in ages, the Reds have a good middle infield and they are young enough to be playing in two years when the team should be better.

My guess is that the Reds will trade Hatteberg and Dunn. Weathers is a possibility but there may be pressure to keep him because they only win when he pitches. Don't know if the team wants to completely tank.
    Gonzalez had a .285 OBP in May and .258 in June. Down from .372 in April, so he has basiscally been worthless at the plate since the beginning of May.

Does it really matter? this team is a few years away, and Gonzalez is north of 30, if you can get some value for him you do the deal.
    Go Gators!

I do think it might be Junior instead of Dunn that Krivsky deals if the right deal is presented to him.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I do think it might be Junior instead of Dunn that Krivsky deals if the right deal is presented to him.
    Not sure I buy that. Without Griffey chasing down 600, the Reds will not sell 15,000 tickets per game.

Turn Off Ads?