Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bailey learning on the job

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bailey learning on the job

Bailey need to learn to be aggressive at all times. Quit dancing around the plate with his his pitches.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

He will learn and he will get better each start. I like his progression right now.

Bailey looks like he hasn't developed any since last summer. Though, that can be expected being a 20-21 year old pitcher is usually pretty much the same. When he gets "hit" with that next period of development, it is unclear, sorta like when your a teen and your voice is changing.

I wish the Reds had been more conservative. They pushed to soon.

My feeling is that Homer has learned what he needed to from his brief stint in the majors and that he should now go back to AAA and work on his command and his secondary pitches.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    He will learn and he will get better each start. I like his progression right now.
    What is the progression? Walking twice as many batters as you K, while also allowing opposing batters to hit you at a pretty scorching clip, and failing to make it to the 4th inning in consecutive starts... doesn't ring of methodical progress. Likewise, to the naked eye Bailey has little command of either of his offspeed pitches, and is increasingly wild (both within the strikezone and without) with his greatly overused fastball. I'm not sure what you are seeing differently, as 3 of his past 4 starts have been just downright clunkers.

I do think that Bailey has pitched somewhat better than his numbers would indicate (as even today he probably shouldn't have surrendered more than 5ER), but he's not showing much to indicate that he should be pitching at this level at this stage of his career. I also believe he has the makeup, delivery, and the fastball to eventually be an ace (with time and a refined arsenal of secondary pitches).

Send him back to AAA, let him work on developing his secondary pitches and his control in a conducive atmosphere, now that he KNOWS that inferior offspeed stuff, falling in love with your fastball, and erratic command simply won't cut it at the MLB level.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Bailey need to learn to be aggressive at all times. Quit dancing around the plate with his his pitches.
    It's not 'dancing' if you have no say in the matter (It's more like a 'full body dry heave around the plate')

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    My feeling is that Homer has learned what he needed to from his brief stint in the majors and that he should now go back to AAA and work on his command and his secondary pitches.
    Yep, that's exactly what I was thinking. He's had a look at what it's going to take to get guys out up here. And without the command necessary he's going to get pounded.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

From Fay:

Bailey was upbeat by the time the writers talked to him. He discovered a mechanical flaw, which he thinks is correctable.

“As soon as I came in and got ice, I said: ‘I’m going to watch the (blanking) video,” he said. “‘Something’s not right. I was flying open and striding too long.

“When you’re flying open, it’s hard to make pitches.”

He didn't say blanking, of course.

Bailey had command of only his fastball, and that was shaky.

“He wasn't getting anything else over,” Reds manager Jerry Narron said. “He had to rely on his fastball.”

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I'd give him two more starts and see if he's learned anything.

If not, back to AAA to work it out, same as everyone else.

Dumatrait has earned a shot, too.

I have no problem at all with the Reds bringing Homer up when they did; he really had nothing left to prove down in the minor leagues. Right now, he might be temporarily stuck at AAAA level.

Brantley and Grande told a story today of how Jack McKeon was sent to Chattanooga to scout Homer last year (not sure if it was by the Reds or who else would have sent him?).

McKeon's advice? Promote him to the big club, right now.

I think I'll go with McKeon's analysis over fans who seem somewhat impatient. McKeon IMO is one the finest evaluators out there.

When you're getting guys out at every level you've pitched at, you may listen to the instruction given you, but nothing hammers the lesson home like a little reality therapy, and that's what Homer has received the last couple of weeks. I'd be totally OK with him returning to Louisville now to continue his development with a renewed sense of purpose.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    It's not 'dancing' if you have no say in the matter (It's more like a 'full body dry heave around the plate')
    St. Vitus' Dance?

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    What is the progression? Walking twice as many batters as you K, while also allowing opposing batters to hit you at a pretty scorching clip, and failing to make it to the 4th inning in consecutive starts... doesn't ring of methodical progress. Likewise, to the naked eye Bailey has little command of either of his offspeed pitches, and is increasingly wild (both within the strikezone and without) with his greatly overused fastball. I'm not sure what you are seeing differently, as 3 of his past 4 starts have been just downright clunkers.

I do think that Bailey has pitched somewhat better than his numbers would indicate (as even today he probably shouldn't have surrendered more than 5ER), but he's not showing much to indicate that he should be pitching at this level at this stage of his career. I also believe he has the makeup, delivery, and the fastball to eventually be an ace (with time and a refined arsenal of secondary pitches).

Send him back to AAA, let him work on developing his secondary pitches and his control in a conducive atmosphere, now that he KNOWS that inferior offspeed stuff, falling in love with your fastball, and erratic command simply won't cut it at the MLB level.
    What Stormy said. The kid isn't within ten country miles of being a major league pitcher at this moment.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

it's painfully obvious Bailey is nowhere near ready. However, if the organizaion has a plan you can't decipher it by their actions.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?