Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    We already know if Scott Boras has the top rated prospect and the Reds get the 1st pick they won'ttake him.
    We do?

2. Turn Off Ads?

pedro alvarez is showing off teh skillz this summer.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    pedro alvarez is showing off teh skillz this summer.
    This summer? You mean his entire life, lol.

He wont be around when we pick.

uoduck1017

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hey, as long as we are in the top 2, we could get Matusz or Alvarez...sounds good to me.

Votto, Bailey, Bruce, Phillips, Hamilton, Cueto, and Alvarez to build around... sounds pretty wicked to me. Too bad Tim Linc... oh never mind

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Votto, Bailey, Bruce, Phillips, Hamilton, Cueto, and Alvarez to build around... sounds pretty wicked to me. Too bad Tim Linc... oh never mind
    edwin too.

Ok guess I should say unlikely we draft an overpriced Scot Boros kid in 1st round. I may be wrong but seems the last #1 and #2 picks that were Boras players the Reds took for David Espinosa and Dane Sardinah both were hard to sign . The Reds ending up giving both major league 3 year deals and had to be placed on the 40 man roster , both were free agents technically after those 3 years , Espinosa was traded to the Tigers and Dane released eventually.

Both are still at AAA at Toledo . The Reds at the time swore to never draft a Boras player , and I don't think they have since. Boras' players no matter where they are drafted still get early pick money . Stephen Drew just a couple years ago was drafted 5th I believe and ended up getting the biggest signing bonus of anyone in the draft.

Boras wants top money and escape clauses in all his contracts , I don't see the Reds even with new ownership messing with him.

lol, true. He's a beast.

And he COULD be around when we pick, we just have to play better losing baseball.

where can i find information about the 2008 draft "prospects"

Why not? Tampa could be focused on pitching and Cincy has a very good shot at the #2 pick. If a top pitcher really seperates himself from the pack next spring, he might be sitting there at #2.

http://www.projectprospect.com/colle...rankings-7300/

Project Prospect's College Prospect Rankings
    7/31/07
    by Adam Loberstein

Check back throughout the offseason as we add a new player to our College Prospect Rankings each week

No. Player Pos Notes Age YR TM CON
    1 Pedro Alvarez 3B Patient power hitter has 40 HR through his two collegiate seasons 20.4 Jr. VAN SEC
    2 Justin Smoak 1B Switch-hitter with a sweet, powerful stroke and good athleticism 20.6 Jr. SC ACC
    3 Brian Matusz LHP Powerful lefty with the polish and stuff to be a dominant pro pitcher 20.4 Jr. SD WAC
    4 Brett Wallace 1B Pac-10 2007 Player of the Year mashes with a sound plate approach 20.9 Jr. ASU Pac-10
    5 Jemile Weeks 2B Good batting eye and baseball instincts; offers some speed, power 20.5 Jr. MIA ACC
    6 Brandon Crawford SS Talented defender who hit .335/.405/.504 last season w/ 7 home runs 20.5 Jr. UCLA Pac-10
    7 Tyson Ross RHP 6'5'', 215-pounder offers advanced secondary stuff & 90 MPH fastball 20.2 Jr. CAL Pac-10
    8 Jacob Thompson RHP 6'6'', 190-pounder w/ a plus curve; K'd 101 vs. 32 BB in 114.0 '07 IP 20.7 Jr. UVA ACC
    9 Lance Lynn RHP Big (6'5'', 260), powerful pitcher; 146 K vs. 44 BB in 123.1 IP last year 20.2 Jr. UMS SEC
    * Ages are as of 8/6/07 (only draft-eligible players are considered)
    ** TM is the player's school
    *** CON is the player's conference
    **** Our rankings combine a player's ceiling with the odds that he'll reach it and favor recent production
    <<< Click here to see our July 24th College Prospect Rankings
    <<< Click here to discuss these rankings in our forums

With the 2007 MLB Draft in the past and next year’s installment a mere 11 months away, it’s never too early to get a head start on evaluating a new class of talent. To make sure that college baseball’s presence is felt year-round this offseason, Project Prospect will continue to preview the nation’s best collegiate talent by presenting College Prospect Rankings approximately every week. Each week will offer a longer list of rankings, as we build up to our weekly updated in-season Top 25 College Prospect Rankings.

9. Lance Lynn, RHP, Ole Miss (5/12/87)

Half man and half mountain, it is becoming harder and harder to overlook Lance Lynn in more ways than one. A 6-foot-5, 260-pound behemoth, Lynn would be garnering his fair share of attention for his gravitational displacement quotient alone. The Brownsburg, Ind. native allowed a mere 94 hits in 123.1 IP last season (.209 opponent's average), overpowering opponents by striking out 146 batters (10.67 K/9) while walking just 44 (3.22 BB/9). Pair his size, power arsenal, and statistical track record together and Lynn appears to be a force to be reckoned with.

I'd like to see the Reds draft pitchers with their first 5 picks, kids who throw hard.

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I'd like to see the Reds draft pitchers with their first 5 picks, kids who throw hard.
    I kind of agree with this.

Sure if a bat is there that rates considerably higher, fine.....but if things are equal, take the arm. Seems like in years passed we've always taken the bat.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I kind of agree with this.

Sure if a bat is there that rates considerably higher, fine.....but if things are equal, take the arm. Seems like in years passed we've always taken the bat.
    I third the motion. I was really disappointed when they used their first 2 this year on bats.

uoduck1017

Updated through 8-5-07

Top five worst records:

1. Tampa Bay Devil Rays 42-68
    2. Pittsburgh Pirates 44-64, 3 GB
    3. Cincinnati Reds 47-64, 4.5 GB
    4. San Francisco Giants 47-62, 5.5 GB
    5. Texas Rangers 48-63, 5.5 GB

The Reds missed a golden opportunity to move ahead of Pittsburgh for second place. Hopefully the Dodgers can give us a spark and help get us back in second.

Turn Off Ads?