Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

Re: The race for the 2008 #1 overall draft pick

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    If we did get a high pick, would the management pay for him? I think that is an equally important question. I can see Mackanin having a good second half, and we would end up drafting in the middle. Which might be better, as the management wouldn't have a problem picking lower down.
    If we draft in the middle then I'll be ecstatic. That would mean that we are a team on fire and I'd much rather finish 2nd or 3rd in the division while finishing on fire than 2nd or 3rd in the division while finishing horridly (see last year.) I'm telling you guys. We are a bullpen away. Offer Linebrink 6 million and the closers role. Move Weathers to the 8th and have an entire year of seasoning under our young guys in the pen. We'll have Votto at 1st, hopefully Bruce in for a playoff push by July, Dunn, Griffey, Phillips, Encarnacion and Hamilton in the lineup. I am not saying that we are a sure thing or a World series champ but that team can compete. We finally have decent starters (Narron tired out Arroyo because of the awful pen and Bailey has shown signs of what he WILL be.) This team is awful right now but ONLY because we have an AWFUL BULLPEN, right now.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The good news is if the DRays get the #1 pick, they may be more inclined to take Alvarez over Matusz, given the fact that they picked Matusz Sr. in Price #1 overall this year.
    I have to disagree. They've got Evan Longoria as the 3B of the future and there's no such thing as too much pitching.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    I have to disagree. They've got Evan Longoria as the 3B of the future and there's no such thing as too much pitching.
    Ditto, especially in TB!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    If we did get a high pick, would the management pay for him? I think that is an equally important question. I can see Mackanin having a good second half, and we would end up drafting in the middle. Which might be better, as the management wouldn't have a problem picking lower down.
    How is picking in the middle of the first round preferable to picking in the top three? Even if you took all of the Boras players off the draft board, the players willing to sign for slot money at #3 are going to be better prospects than those who are willing to sign for slot money at #15.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    How is picking in the middle of the first round preferable to picking in the top three? Even if you took all of the Boras players off the draft board, the players willing to sign for slot money at #3 are going to be better prospects than those who are willing to sign for slot money at #15.
    Well in theory the Reds would have quite a turn around to end up picking in the middle of the first round, so it would be preferable to some to have a close to .500 season than a 30 games under .500 season.

Of course the belief among many is that the Reds would draft someone who would go 10-20 anyways and sign them for less than slot to save 2-3 million.

Of course the belief among many is that the Reds would draft someone who would go 10-20 anyways and sign them for less than slot to save 2-3 million.
    If we do that, then Castellini officially loses all credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    If we do that, then Castellini officially loses all credibility.
    agreed.

What's the difference? Is there an A-Rod or Junior out there? We skipped on Jeter when we had the chance. We're better off not getting a better pick, as we are more likely not able to draft the best player available anyway because of money issues.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

We didnt pass on Jeter for money, we passed on Jeter because we simply misjudged the talent. However I would love to see the reaction on Redszone if Jeter were drafted by the Reds today and he were to put up an OPS of .608 in the GCL like he did back in 1992. Man would there be some outrage going on.

Odds are there will not be another Junior or Arod for a long, long time. What those two did as prospects and then young major leaguers is unheard of. I contend that they were the #1 and #2 prospects in draft history (beginning in 1965) and in my lifetime, and probably before there was not a prospect who was better than either of them and its probably not that close.

The Reds passed on Jeter because they had a Barry Larkin in his prime and needed power. The opposite of today eh?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Odds are there will not be another Junior or Arod for a long, long time. What those two did as prospects and then young major leaguers is unheard of. I contend that they were the #1 and #2 prospects in draft history (beginning in 1965) and in my lifetime, and probably before there was not a prospect who was better than either of them and its probably not that close.
    Where would you rate Justin Upton? Coming into his draft, he was supposed to be in the "can't miss" mold of Jr. and A-Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    We didnt pass on Jeter for money, we passed on Jeter because we simply misjudged the talent. However I would love to see the reaction on Redszone if Jeter were drafted by the Reds today and he were to put up an OPS of .608 in the GCL like he did back in 1992. Man would there be some outrage going on.

I don't see anyone complaining about a HS kid starting out slow. If you are comparing Jeter's situation to Stubbs', then you are off. Stubbs was a college kid coming from a major program. Much different than coming out of HS or the NAIA.

Mark Prior, Mark Teixeira, and Justin Upton were all probably in the next tier after A-Rod and Jr. You could argue that Delmon Young belongs in that list as well.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Mark Prior, Mark Teixeira, and Justin Upton were all probably in the next tier after A-Rod and Jr. You could argue that Delmon Young belongs in that list as well.
    Josh Hamilton.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Josh Hamilton.
    yep. how could I forget?
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?