Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 65 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Introductions Thread

Re: Just moved in : )

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy
    I think you mean "amiga"

And welcome! Avoid RFS62 at all costs - he's my nemesis.
    What can I say? I took French in high school.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hey

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum
    I think one per league is doable. It helps keep me up-to-speed on a lot of things I think I'd miss otherwise.

It often comes from geography, family, or simply a whole lotta love to waste aka obsessive nature/boredom.
    Might then you explain for the possible disdain for the local AL club known affectionately as the "South Siders"?

Sure, I like the Reds. Really like the Reds. But it doesn't mean that I hate everyone else.

I'm one of about 26 or so (not counting family or friends) that enjoy Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball. Nice young team that aggrevates the Yankees & Red Sox now and then. The extra plus was Sweet Lou.

I spend the $150 on MLB EI - just to have a game on at 10:30 or if Vin Scully is in LA reminding me its time for Dodger baseball - or - to remind me not to hurry to cause accidents, because there is plenty of baseball to be played.

I think some of you wonder how I go through life liking the D-Rays and Reds. I also enjoy setting myself on fire, plucking my eyebrows with an electric brush trimmer, and sitting in a hot-tub while using a hair dryer.

Oh, btw - Welcome to the board, Unit.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Fenway

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor
    I'm a Reds fan, but I also follow the Red Sox pretty closely (growing up with a Yankee's fan father will do that to you).
    Rather than start a new thread, may as well jump in here! I'm a Red Sox fan, a fan of the game, and as a member of SoSH, NYYFans, OriolesHangout, etc., find it fascinating to check out boards such as RedsZone to read what fans have to say about their teams. Now to throw in my 2 pennies on Matt Clement...

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    Might then you explain for the possible disdain for the local AL club known affectionately as the "South Siders"?

Sure, I like the Reds. Really like the Reds. But it doesn't mean that I hate everyone else.

I'm one of about 26 or so (not counting family or friends) that enjoy Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball. Nice young team that aggrevates the Yankees & Red Sox now and then. The extra plus was Sweet Lou.

I spend the $150 on MLB EI - just to have a game on at 10:30 or if Vin Scully is in LA reminding me its time for Dodger baseball - or - to remind me not to hurry to cause accidents, because there is plenty of baseball to be played.

I think some of you wonder how I go through life liking the D-Rays and Reds. I also enjoy setting myself on fire, plucking my eyebrows with an electric brush trimmer, and sitting in a hot-tub while using a hair dryer.

Oh, btw - Welcome to the board, Unit.
    I think you are the first Tampa Bay fan I have ever encountered. Seriously. And I've seen them play in person numerous times.

The Vin Scully thing you mentioned kind of brings home the crux of why I think a person can love more than one team: there are lot of reasons to love a baseball team. For me it's pretty straightforward (although I did once feel the need to write a ten thousand word essay about it): I grew up in Cincinnati and New York. There was no way I was going to be without a local baseball team to follow. The Reds are very special to me because I haven't lived in Cincinnati as an adult and they give me a very strong tie to my childhood. The Yankees are my grown-up team and I love them just as much. If they ever meet in the World Series, I really don't know what I'll do. Luckily, this is about as likely to happen in the near future as Eric Milton throwing six perfect games next year.

The way I look at it is -- what are the reasons you fall in love with a baseball team? Could be familial influence, could be one player who catches your fancy, could be an entire group of good guys you really like, could be an amazing game you happen to catch, could be some dude you meet in a bar who tells you some amazing story about something that happened to some team in 1948. All of these things can happen more than once.

As for the White Sox -- I like them, not a lifelong fan, but I like the team they've put together over the last few years. I've always liked Ozzie, I thought the trade for all-around slow crazyman AJ Pierzynski was genius (seriously), and as a Reds fan I'm completely in awe of their pitching staff. I would think most people are predisposed to like teams unless they're given good reason not to, maybe I'm wrong? There are only a couple of teams in baseball that I actively hate and this takes up a lot of my energy.

I do know somebody who, because of her parents, follows both the Cubs and the Cardinals. Now that's weird.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

when i started following baseball when i was 4 or 5, only two of the teams i liked were in the same division. then in 1995 or 96, suddenly all four teams i followed were in the same division.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath
    I'm one of about 26 or so (not counting family or friends) that enjoy Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball.

Although I'm not certain "enjoy" is always the most applicable descriptor.

Oh, yeah, before I forget... welcome to you new guys (girls?).
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Re: Just moved in : )

Welcome Julz, glad to have you here.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

littlejoe

Introductions Thread

Just came over from the other reds site. Hello all and Go Reds !

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Re: Hello

There's another Reds site?

Welcome aboard
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer
    There's another Reds site?
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~kampf/

For a Level Playing Field

Welcome to a great place for REDS talk. And a bit more civil than some other places. Enjoy!

Welcome
    Go Gators!

TheHugeUnit

I like them both since they are in the AL and NL. That would be my dream world series. I don't know who I would want to win. On the site im on everyone has a favorite team in both leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966
    Welcome to a great place for REDS talk. And a bit more civil than some other places. Enjoy!
    Except when someone suggests Adam Dunn strikes out too much.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered
    Except when someone suggests Adam Dunn strikes out too much.
    Are you saying Adam Dunn strikes out too much?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?