Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If You're Firing Narron, Might As Well Fire Krivsky Too

If You're Firing Narron, Might As Well Fire Krivsky Too

You can talk about holding Narron accountable for the play on the field but what about the GM who got these players? Acquiring aging veterans, over-the-hill relievers and a lack of direction (are we contending or rebuilding Wayne?) has me wondering if the GM should be shown the boot out the door.

Say what you want about Bowden and O'Brien....both of them had their warts. At least O'Brien had a plan in place but would have taken five years. But take away the Arroyo and Phillips deal and I have to wonder if Krivsky should be shown the door at the end of the season.

Opinions?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: If You're Firing Narron, Might As Well Fire Krivsky Too

My gut feeling is Jocketty leaving the Cardinals will be BOBs choice for the offseason and WK is gone..
    Wayne has many bad moves that will cost him his job. That trade with Bowden (which bothers me how bad Bowden wanted Kearns, why oh WHY didnt Cordero get asked for as part of the trade???) and the Joe Mays experiment, the signing Stanton for 2 years and a option at his age!!!, Cormier for that ridiculous extension just to get the trade done and the bullpens constant failings.

Wayne i feel will be gone if Girardi isnt brought in.. and if the Reds sign another CHEAP manager, im going to be pissed.. You cant say your bringing winning championship baseball back to Cincinnati, if your manager is the cheapest in baseball or a guy nobody else would sign to manage their team!!!!

Anyway just my gut feeling and you never know.. LaRussa might be rbought here,... he knows how to WIN.. not the likes of Miley, Boone, Narron.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    You can talk about holding Narron accountable for the play on the field but what about the GM who got these players? Acquiring aging veterans, over-the-hill relievers and a lack of direction (are we contending or rebuilding Wayne?) has me wondering if the GM should be shown the boot out the door.

Say what you want about Bowden and O'Brien....both of them had their warts. At least O'Brien had a plan in place but would have taken five years. But take away the Arroyo and Phillips deal and I have to wonder if Krivsky should be shown the door at the end of the season.

Opinions?
    And throw out the Hamilton and Ross deals as well. It doesn't make sense to me to fire a GM after a little over 1+ seasons. Whose fault is it for the bad defense? Is it the actual players inability or are the players underperforming? Say what you want but I will take an up the middle defense of Ross, Phillips, and Hamilton any day of the week. Losing tends to demoralize players and I would say the poor defensive performance is more caused by indifference than it is inability.

and the Joe Mays experiment
    Joe Mays pitched in exactly 7 games and had a total of 27 innings pitched. He was picked up for nothing and send packing for nothing. For as bad as the pitching staff was last year it was worth a shot. Its not like he made a huge financial investement to Mays just a chance. When you pick playes off the waivers you can end up with Phillips or Mays. You can't look into a crystal ball and see what is going to happen before it does happen.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Yea, its a good thing the Cubs paid all that money to bring in big Lou to coax them to a .500 record. Get a guy who can use common sense filling out a lineup card and using the bullpen. Give a young guy that nobody's heard of a chance. Sometimes they become Hall of Fame managers.

Waiting for a tour/album KittyDuran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Yea, its a good thing the Cubs paid all that money to bring in big Lou to coax them to a .500 record. Get a guy who can use common sense filling out a lineup card and using the bullpen. Give a young guy that nobody's heard of a chance. Sometimes they become Hall of Fame managers.
    Famous saying in the winter of 1969 in Cincinnati..."Sparky who?"
    2014 Reds record when I'm attending: 23-18 - FINAL
    2014 Dragons record when I'm attending: 2-1 - FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

People never heard of Sparky or Alston or even LaRussa before they got hired.

LaRussa ended up bringing more new ways of managing than the other 2.....some very good....some just very irritating and the "look at me...i am different" type of moves.....either way...he changed the way some managers managed and won.

There has to be someone out there....who is a little old and new school and can command respect of the players. Either that or you just go with all young players and if you have veterans....no clubhouse lawyers.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Joe Mays pitched in exactly 7 games and had a total of 27 innings pitched.
    Wow...it felt much longer and much more brutal than that

Sparky had managed in the minors since '64, before becoming a coach in '69 - so he had some experience (though I do not know his record).
    LaSorda was considered an excellent minor league manager before becoming a coach for four years under Alston with the Dodgers.

As for Wayne, the upcoming trade deadline will be kind of big for me - if he fails to get any amount of return for these guys from a team desperate for help, then his job is as good as done with me.
    Then again, I am not the guy signing the paychecks.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Joe Mays pitched in exactly 7 games and had a total of 27 innings pitched. He was picked up for nothing and send packing for nothing. For as bad as the pitching staff was last year it was worth a shot. Its not like he made a huge financial investement to Mays just a chance. When you pick playes off the waivers you can end up with Phillips or Mays. You can't look into a crystal ball and see what is going to happen before it does happen.
    Yep, and it comprised of about 2% of the teams innings... hey but let's bring up every teams Joe Mays... they ALL have a couple every year, now if folks pay attention to BASEBALLL and not the REDS then I guess they might notice those sort of things.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445 View Post
    Anyway just my gut feeling and you never know.. LaRussa might be rbought here,... he knows how to WIN.. not the likes of Miley, Boone, Narron.
    Better plan the farewell celebration for Marty B. if LaRussa is brought in. He doesn't like LaRussa at all and I doubt he'd stick around.
    /r/reds

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I'm not sure a move to Jocketty would be a step up. I'd kill to get Depodesta and Davey Johnson.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Better plan the farewell celebration for Marty B. if LaRussa is brought in. He doesn't like LaRussa at all and I doubt he'd stick around.
    I'm not a LaRussa fan but I could be in that case...
    Go Gators!

Anyone know how much the Reds owe Narron for the rest of his contract? I don't immagine it's much relatively speaking but I'm curious. How about Mackanin?

Rem

Wayne Krivsky General Manager
    2 years (2006-07), plus 2008 & 2009 mutual options

* hired 2/06 (formerly assistant GM with Minnesota)
    * club exercised 2008 option 6/06
    * assistant GM Bob Miller
    * senior director of scouting Chris Buckley
    * director of player development Johnny Almaraz
    * former general manager Dan O'Brien was fired 1/06 with 1 year remaining on a 3 year/$1.5M (2004-06) contract

Jerry Narron Manager
    2 years (2007-08)

* signed 2- year extension through 2008 6/06
    o 07:$0.6M
    * signed extension as permanent manager 9/05
    * 1 year (2006), plus mutual option for 2007
    o hired on interim basis 6/05
    * former manager Dave Miley was fired 6/05
    o Miley had signed extension for 2006 (with 2007 club option) 10/04
    o Miley: 1 year/$0.35M (2004), plus 2005 club option (picked up 8/04)
    o Miley was hired on an interim basis 7/03, replacing Bob Boone. The Reds hired Miley as the permanent manager 12/03

Turn Off Ads?