Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next Manager?

Re: Who do you want to be the next Reds manager?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Miley was a convenience reach. He wasn't the right guy, he was the nearest guy. To an extent, so is Mackanin, though I really like Mackanin so far. Wally Backman? Never. Literally, not in a million years.

Torre's never coming to Cincinnati, even if he's done with the Yankees. Though I'm not opposed to checking into a few name candidates, it's just that I want the Reds to create the mold and see who fits rather than the other way around.

There's a big pile of potential candidates out there. I'm not going to pretend to know them all. I mentioned Torey Luvullo in another thread. I don't know that he's the exact right guy (particularly because I've got no idea what the Reds are looking for), but he intrigues me.
    I am not necessarily endorsing Backman--I just mentioned him as someone without MLB experience who would be "outside the box". I am aware of his volatile history, though.

Luvullo is an interesting possibility, as well. He would be worth looking into, though Cleveland may want to hold on to him--there are some fans in the northern part of the state who are not fans of Eric Wedge!

I think that the Reds' front office--whether that is Krivsky, Jocketty (as has been rumored), or someone else--needs to sit down between now and the end of the season (or shortly after the season, if it is someone other than Wayne) and establish parameters and guidelines pertaining to the direction that it wants the club to follow, and then interview a number of candidates (both high-profile and lesser-known) to find the best fit. If Pete Mackanin does well in the second half of the season, I am not opposed to giving him an interview, should he be interested. But I don't want the Reds to simply hand him the reins, as they did with Dave Miley and Jerry Narron. It just isn't good business sense. (And don't get me wrong--I think Jerry is an outstanding person with great moral character. I wish him nothing but the best.)
    Last edited by Big Klu; 07-05-2007 at 02:45 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I voted "Other" because I'd like to see the Reds find someone with a fresh perspective.
    My take as well. I'd almost rather they find a new manager in the Eric Wedge mold. Someone young, but ready for the job.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    My take as well. I'd almost rather they find a new manager in the Eric Wedge mold. Someone young, but ready for the job.
    Joey Cora.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Joey Cora.
    Yes. Like Joey Cora. Good one, dabvu.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Yes. Like Joey Cora. Good one, dabvu.
    Plus, he's a Commodore.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Plus, he's a Commodore.
    I should've known.

Eh, still not a bad pick.
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I should've known.

Eh, still not a bad pick.
    Seriously... he's manager material someime soon. His name has been mentioned in Baltimore.

Sounds like he's the good cop to Guillen's bad cop in Chicago. And not that this should matter much, but I wonder if he and Griffey have a good relationship from their days in Seattle.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    One intriguing thing to consider about Bobby Valentine is that, if he were named manager, he could possibly make Cincinnati a pipeline for top Japanese talent (especially pitching talent) who would want to play for him.
    Just another note here on Bobby V.

Red Sox form alliance with Valentine's team in Japan

TOKYO (AP) — The Boston Red Sox have formed an alliance with Bobby Valentine's team, the Chiba Lotte Marines of Japan's Pacific League, to share player evaluations and statistical analysis.
    The Marines are managed by Valentine, a former manager of the New York Mets and Texas Rangers.

Craig Shipley, vice president of international scouting for the Red Sox, said Wednesday that Boston will be able to take advantage of Valentine's knowledge of Japanese baseball.

"Bobby Valentine's foresight, his vision, his knowledge of Japanese and American baseball is second to none," Shipley said.

The Red Sox already have tapped into Japanese baseball's talent pool, signing pitchers Daisuke Matsuzaka and Hideki Okajima.

"Chiba was very helpful with us last year in how we evaluated Daisuke and Hideki," Shipley said.

Besides sharing scouting reports, the clubs will exchange coaches, training staff and front-office personnel. Developing baseball in China and other Asian nations also will be part of the program.

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said it's possible Red Sox minor leaguers could go to Japan.

"The more familiar we are with them and they are with us, its easy to see us exchanging players," Epstein said.

Valentine guided the Marines to the Japan Series championship in 2005 and is now in his fifth season managing the team.

"This is an alliance that will make baseball better here in Japan, in the MLB and in the other professional baseball leagues in Asia," he said.

Wouldn't that burn the Sox hind parts, if we hired Bobby V.?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Wouldn't that burn the Sox hind parts, if we hired Bobby V.?

Wouldn't matter. All the big time FAs would go to the teams who could afford guys like Dice-K.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Wouldn't matter. All the big time FAs would go to the teams who could afford guys like Dice-K.
    Yeah, I also doubt you'll be seeing Japanese players aching to go to the midwest. Asian players in general are particularly wary of getting into too foreign an element. Supposedly Chan Ho Park had a bear of a time adjusting to the Dallas area. The Pacific coast clubs and teams in the northeast hold a huge advantage when it comes to attracting Asian players. Chicago is probably next on the list, but I don't think Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee or Kansas City need to concern themselves overly much with becoming a prime destination for Japanese or Korean talents.

However, Chinese players could be a different story because you'd be importing players from your own academy system (assuming you started a baseball academy in China). Heck, they'd probably be natural Reds fans over there.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Heck, they'd probably be natural Reds fans over there.
    Come see the comrades would be an awesome marketing slogan
    Go Gators!

I personally believe that Dierker would be the best candidate and is the closest to Krivsky's philosophy of team construction. Now Larry has stated that he currently has no inclinations at wanting to return to the dugout. But he has also said "Never say never", which IMHO, means he could be coaxed back in under the right circumstances.

Looking at what is out there, I'd give it a shot and at least try to get him in for an interview.

If not that then, I voted "Other" because I don't care much for what has been listed, and I believe in bringing back guys who once were our manager. That ship sailed as far as I'm concerned.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I'm on the Mackanin bandwagon.

I don't know why. Just a vibe.

I'll stick with him for now.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I'm on the Mackanin bandwagon.

I don't know why. Just a vibe.

I'll stick with him for now.
    You don't have any other choice - for now.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Mackanin is like Harrison Ford in the Fugitive and the Reds are the train crashing

Turn Off Ads?