Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next Manager?

Who should be the next Manager?

Just curious to see what guys would be a fit to manage this team. I hope that they get a NL type manager who will emphasize the small ball aspect, sound fundamentals, solid defense, etc. Some guys that I would pursue are:

1)Bob Brenly
    2)Davey Johnson
    3)Tony Larussa-if released
    4)Dave Duncan-would improve the pitching

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who should be the next Manager?

I may be one of the few people on the planet that likes the guy...but I'd give a call to Bobby Valentine to gauge his interest.

I just mentioned Duncan on another thread...would he leave LaRussa? They've worked together for years.

Yay!

Joey Cora
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I agree, Valentine would be a good guy to give a call too...also, Davey Johnson...Duncan would be interesting...NO WAY DO I WANT TONY LARUSSA.

I'm not enamored with Joe G but he got results with the Marlins and I think he would be good for some of the fragile emotions on this team.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

What about Larry Dierker? What's everyone think of him?

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    What about Larry Dierker? What's everyone think of him?
    Larry might not want to give up his tropical-themed restaurant at Minute Maid Park. He seemed quite happy with it when I saw him interviewed.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Larry might not want to give up his tropical-themed restaurant at Minute Maid Park. He seemed quite happy with it when I saw him interviewed.
    I didn't know if he was even interested in returning to managing. His name just popped in my head.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I didn't know if he was even interested in returning to managing. His name just popped in my head.
    I don't know, either. I just noticed that he appears to be happy in his current career choice.

It's a shame that he wouldn't have the opportunity to work with his old rotation-mate Vern Ruhle if he did come to Cincinnati.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 07-02-2007 at 03:36 PM.
    /r/reds

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I agree, Valentine would be a good guy to give a call too...also, Davey Johnson...Duncan would be interesting...NO WAY DO I WANT TONY LARUSSA.

I'm not enamored with Joe G but he got results with the Marlins and I think he would be good for some of the fragile emotions on this team.
    As much as I would love to see Girardi as manager, its not going to happen.

When you have a manager that is coming off a manager of the year in his first year, you know for a fact that he is going to be able to literally pick and choose where he wants to go, especially if the Yankees, Cubs, or White Sox come a calling.

Girardi turned down Baltimore, which isn't much of an upgrade from the Reds. You can make the case that he didnt want to contend with the Yankees and Red Sox payrolls, but I think he wants to win now, and with the Orioles is the same as the Reds, it isnt going to happen immediately.

Whoever we get should plan on going through a rebuilding phase. Odds are whoever is hired will be somebody who is good with coaching younger players. I sincerely doubt you will see somebody like Tony LaRussa, Davey Johnson, etc don a Reds uniform because of this.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Just curious to see what guys would be a fit to manage this team. I hope that they get a NL type manager who will emphasize the small ball aspect, sound fundamentals, solid defense, etc.

Narron tried to do just that but he failed miserably because he didn't have the kind of players who could do that on a consistent basis. Unless Wayne does a complete roster overhaul and acquires players who play good defense, can lay down a bunt and can execute the fundamentals, the new manager isn't going to have any better luck than Narron.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I think Brenly would be an interesting guy.

I've had a love/hate relationship with Davey Johnson - I hated him when he managed the Mets in the World Series against the Bosox. I hated that he couldn't acknowledge that they caught a break to win the Series. A little humility at the time of his opponent's humiliation wouldn't have hurt.

That said, I loved him as the Reds' manager.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I may be one of the few people on the planet that likes the guy...but I'd give a call to Bobby Valentine to gauge his interest.

I just mentioned Duncan on another thread...would he leave LaRussa? They've worked together for years.
    Count me in the Bobby V camp.

Someone I heard mentioned was Ken Macha. What was his story with the A's? He seemed to do a good job with a "small market" team budget. He may be worth an interview.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Ugh re: Girardi discussion. The guy is a mirage totally living on the hype of his Mgr of the Yr award for riding on the coattails of a bunch of rookies playing out of their mind and sporting a very Reds line .481 win %.

He instituted the outdated No Facial hair rule (thus ruffling many players feathers) and has constant migraine headaches. I know the facial hair policy sounds great to some but its 2007, and players value their right to a mean goatee or chinstrap. It only rubs players the wrong way.

The guy will capitalize, I just hope it aint with the Reds.

Your killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Someone I heard mentioned was Ken Macha. What was his story with the A's? He seemed to do a good job with a "small market" team budget. He may be worth an interview.
    Agreed, worth an interview.

Count me in on the Bobby V. interview as well.

There's this other guy, Barry Larkin. You may remember who he is.... Only problem I have with that would be that he already left on a sour note. If the Reds somehow were to do this and things went bad again I would hate to see that happen.

Turn Off Ads?