Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the next Manager?

Re: Who do you want to be the next Reds manager?

what if Joe brings Paul O Neill with him?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Paul O Neill was a fine baseball player for the yankees, what makes everyone think he'd be a good coach? I almost want the Reds to institute a no former Reds player rule.

From this list Davey Johnson, from the otherville land, Tom Kelly or Larry Dierker
    Go Gators!

Is there any point in even speculating that given the Cubs' pending sale, perhaps Lou could get out of that contract at season's end and come back here?
    (He had those mysterious meetings with Castelini before becoming Cubs manager and repeatedly refers to his years with the Reds as the most fondly remembered of his career.)
    Girardi, then, could return to Chicago as his replacement.
    A return of Lou, obviously, wouldn't coincide with Paul O'Neill joining the coaching staff, given that the two men apparently despise one another.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I'm all about Davey Johnson, the guy wins wherever he goes.

By the #'s

14 seasons he managed
    4 different teams
    2039 games mng.
    1148 wins
    888 losses
    .564 winning %
    4 Different Seasons w/ a .600+ winning%

Finished 1st or 2nd in his division 12 out of 14 times (1st 5 times)
    Finished 3rd once
    Finished 5th once (fired 42 games into 1990 w/ a 20-22 record)

1 WS Championship

How can you not like that?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I voted "Other" because I'd like to see the Reds find someone with a fresh perspective.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

From this list, Davey Johnson.

From the world abroad, Bobby Valentine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Not a single option on that list excites me in anyway.

Ugh - it's going to be a fun few months.
    What names would interest you?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I voted "Other" because I'd like to see the Reds find someone with a fresh perspective.
    How fresh? As in someone who has never managed before?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    From this list, Davey Johnson.

From the world abroad, Bobby Valentine.
    One intriguing thing to consider about Bobby Valentine is that, if he were named manager, he could possibly make Cincinnati a pipeline for top Japanese talent (especially pitching talent) who would want to play for him.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

i voted for Davey Johnson, but there are several possibilities I like:

Giradi
    Larussa
    Dierker
    Valentine
    Robinson

But, my guess is that it's down to Giradi, Larussa, Pete, and Brenley. Unless Davey comes out of the woodwork or Dierker has a change of heart, it's going to be Macklanen. Unless the Jockety rumors are true, and then Krivsky won't be choosing the manager and it's a whole new ballgame. Just a gut feeling. I may go throw up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    How fresh? As in someone who has never managed before?
    Why not? I'd be all for a minor league coach or someone who's been an assistant or a former player. I want the team to do a deep search for the perfect fit, not sort through the usual suspects.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Why did I all of a sudden get a bad case of acid reflux?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Why not? I'd be all for a minor league coach or someone who's been an assistant or a former player. I want the team to do a deep search for the perfect fit, not sort through the usual suspects.
    OK. I was just wondering if you have anyone in particular in mind. (Pete Mackanin--his one-month interim job in Pittsburgh notwithstanding--actually fits your description, as did Dave Miley when he got the job in 2003.) Someone who I think could be an interesting possibility is Wally Backman, though he has been sort of black-balled by MLB.

I agree that the club should do a deep search, and the manager doesn't have to be a big name. But I also think that high-profile candidates (Johnson, Valentine, LaRussa, Torre, Brenly) should not be automatically precluded from the search, either.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

One intriguing thing to consider about Bobby Valentine is that, if he were named manager, he could possibly make Cincinnati a pipeline for top Japanese talent (especially pitching talent) who would want to play for him.
    That's odd Klu, it just so happens that one of those guys will likely be on his way here probably next year. That could give us a leg up on the competition for this guy Kosuke Fukudome (pronounced Fu-Ku-Do-Ma). Not a pitcher but a COF with a couple Japanese GG's and hits for power and average. Hits LH throws RH. If Jr and Dunn are dealt this could be a solid replacement and also create a "Buzz" for ticket sales.

http://http://www.armchairgm.com/ind...osuke_Fukudome
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-05-2007 at 01:50 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

OK. I was just wondering if you have anyone in particular in mind. (Pete Mackanin--his one-month interim job in Pittsburgh notwithstanding--actually fits your description, as did Dave Miley when he got the job in 2003.) Someone who I think could be an interesting possibility is Wally Backman, though he has been sort of black-balled by MLB.

I agree that the club should do a deep search, and the manager doesn't have to be a big name. But I also think that high-profile candidates (Johnson, Valentine, LaRussa, Torre, Brenly) should not be automatically precluded from the search, either.
    Miley was a convenience reach. He wasn't the right guy, he was the nearest guy. To an extent, so is Mackanin, though I really like Mackanin so far. Wally Backman? Never. Literally, not in a million years.

Torre's never coming to Cincinnati, even if he's done with the Yankees. Though I'm not opposed to checking into a few name candidates, it's just that I want the Reds to create the mold and see who fits rather than the other way around.

There's a big pile of potential candidates out there. I'm not going to pretend to know them all. I mentioned Torey Luvullo in another thread. I don't know that he's the exact right guy (particularly because I've got no idea what the Reds are looking for), but he intrigues me.

Miley was a convenience reach. He wasn't the right guy, he was the nearest guy. To an extent, so is Mackanin, though I really like Mackanin so far. Wally Backman? Never. Literally, not in a million years.

Torre's never coming to Cincinnati, even if he's done with the Yankees. Though I'm not opposed to checking into a few name candidates, it's just that I want the Reds to create the mold and see who fits rather than the other way around.

There's a big pile of potential candidates out there. I'm not going to pretend to know them all. I mentioned Torey Luvullo in another thread. I don't know that he's the exact right guy (particularly because I've got no idea what the Reds are looking for), but he intrigues me.

I guess by that statement you mean philosophically speaking? It can't be creating based on the players we currently have. Do you feel comfortable with Wayne creating that mold? I do, but alot here don't.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I guess by that statement you mean philosophically speaking? It can't be creating based on the players we currently have. Do you feel comfortable with Wayne creating that mold? I do, but alot here don't.
    Wayne has to create the mold. He's the GM. It's not that I trust so much as it's his job. Choosing not to do it is essentially an abdication of responsibility and a quick path to the unemployment line.

This summer and offseason are probably Wayne's last chance to establish his regime. If he chooses to stick with Mackanin and shuffle around a few low impact vets again, then he's blown that chance. If he instead moves aggressively on a rebuild or reload plan and brings in a manager to mold these New Model Reds then he's got a shot. Fans and the owner might even show some patience if the new direction takes some extra time to come together, provided that A) it's more than lip service and B) it shows some promise.

As for the players you currently have, you don't build your organizational model around what you've got, you build it around what you want. Then you figure out how to transition from today to a better tomorrow.

Turn Off Ads?