Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else find it fishy that Bonds made up so many votes in the final days?

Re: Does anyone else find it fishy that Bonds made up so many votes in the final days

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Hey with all the mess in votes that actually matter in Ohio you'd think that folks would be used to a little discrepancy now and then...
    Has anyone checked the Florida ballots??
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does anyone else find it fishy that Bonds made up so many votes in the final days

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Or it wouldn't be difficult for the team or Bonds to hire the ballot-stuffing job done, with so much high-powered expertise nearby.

My thoughts exactly.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Forgive me if I'm of the opinion All Star selections don't mean squat.

Year after year after year there's plenty of deserving guys left off the squad b/c either league's manager takes plenty of guys off his own team, combined with the fact you have to have at least 1 guy from each team.

Remember when Torre used to take what seemed like at least a 1/2 dozen Yankees for the ASG that had no business on those teams?

Fans vote, managers "round out" the teams.

Life goes on.

Fans vote, managers "round out" the teams.
    Yep and they even picked the whole team for ten years at one time, then they gave the vote to the fans and the fans of Cincinnati ruined it, mostly because they had never had an offensive club and two years of one made them a bit rabid in their voting habits.

Odd that the next time the fans got the vote the game was played in Cincinnati.

Any Reds fan who quibbles about votes should check the AS Game and their teams history with fan voting.
    First of all my guess is the Lion's share of Reds' fans on this forum weren't even born yet. To make them feel guilty for what happened before they were on this earth is akin to white guilt for slavery.

Secondly I'm not aware that any rules were broken nor vote totals fudged in 1957. We merely had a lot of enthusiastic Reds fans voting often for their players. Cincinnati took advantage of a flawed system.

Hey with all the mess in votes that actually matter in Ohio you'd think that folks would be used to a little discrepancy now and then...

No mess here in Ohio. You're confusing us with Florida. The biggest problem in Ohio was long lines, but no fraud or anything like that.

OK, let's keep this on topic, shall we?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Nine straight home games for the Giants lead up to the final vote, I actually watch a lot of Giant games and lo and behold they did an in between innings spot about youngsters filling out stacks of AS Ballots and the push was on to vote on Bonds.

The games were all sold out as well... looks like Giants fans just took advantage of a flawed system.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

The games were all sold out as well... looks like Giants fans just took advantage of a flawed system.
    True, Giants fans didn't make up those rules...and they love Barry Bonds. In a way, I'm glad someone loves him, it gives him a place to call home.

Nine straight home games for the Giants lead up to the final vote, I actually watch a lot of Giant games and lo and behold they did an in between innings spot about youngsters filling out stacks of AS Ballots and the push was on to vote on Bonds.

That would be my guess as well. Just taking advantage of flawed system just like Pittsburgh did with Jason Bay last year.

The online version of voting has enough safeguards in it to discourage most hackery. A determined and skilled hacker could probably overcome it so I can't discount it completely.

But the more plausible answer is just the Giants put on a big push for their fans to vote.

Pay attention to the open sky

I happen to be in the SF Bay Area this week, and I was listening to a sports talk show when someone called and claimed that he and 40 others ran a program that 'stuffed' the box for Barry over the last couple days of voting. I won't go into technical details, but it seemed to be a fairly easy loophole in the mlb.com voting system that he claimed to have exploited. He said he was a big Bonds fan, and thought he should be starting in the game because it was in San Francisco.

The next caller summed it up perfectly, saying: "What a low-life. It figures that a Bonds' fan would cheat to get what they want."

I actually care a bit about the AS game this year. With Griffey starting, it will be the first one I'll tune in to since Bud-gate.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    San Francisco is awfully close to Silicon Valley, where there are more people with the technical capability to game an electronic ballot than anywhere else in the US. It could just be a cluster of eager nerds who pushed the Bonds total higher. Or it wouldn't be difficult for the team or Bonds to hire the ballot-stuffing job done, with so much high-powered expertise nearby.

It's extremely easy. If I had a way to easily get a list of thousands of valid emails, I could do it in about 5 minutes.

Remember when someone stuffed the ballot box for one of the AL shortstops (I think it was Garcippara?) They gave him at least 100k votes. Baseball ended up discarding them, but I wonder if they'd look the other way in this case.

Of course, Bud could've just told them to make sure Bonds ended up third.. Heck, for all we know, they could've fudged Bonds several thousand votes every week.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    It's extremely easy. If I had a way to easily get a list of thousands of valid emails, I could do it in about 5 minutes..
    That's easy enough to produce. All you need is a domain hosted on a server with a catchall address. I own several domains hosted this way. Any string of characters @domainiown.com is a valid email address.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by red-in-la View Post
    This precisely why I have balked at putting Pete in the HOF. You crown him as Mr. Baseball in doing so and make him a hero figure to kids who cannot see his shortcomings.
    If you're going to count shortcomings as a consideration to induction to the HOF, then those halls would be pretty.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Turn Off Ads?