Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

  1. #1
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,519

    Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Unless he goes on a tear in the next 3 days, Marty probably won't get the opportunity (as I say this, there goes 751), but....

    John Erardi, Enquirer
    "My last waking moment would be, 'Please, God, don't put me in the position of having to call it.' " Brennaman said. "Because I would not do it justice . . . I don't care if Bonds hits 900 home runs, Henry Aaron will always be the all-time home run king in my estimation."
    Last edited by Matt700wlw; 07-03-2007 at 08:22 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    breath westofyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    PDX
    Posts
    43,275

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Maybe he can just tell a story about his neighbor or something when Bonds comes up?

    I bet most wouldn't notice if they missed an at bat.

    It's not like it doesn't happen every night anyway.

  4. #3
    CELEBRATION TIME RBA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    San Marcos, CA
    Posts
    13,987

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Maybe he can just tell a story about his neighbor or something when Bonds comes up?

    I bet most wouldn't notice if they missed an at bat.

    It's not like it doesn't happen every night anyway.
    True. Maybe he can talk about the characters that live in Mayberry again.

  5. #4
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,519

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    I shouldn't have done it.

    His name always starts the debate...

  6. #5
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    John Erardi, Enquirer
    "My last waking moment would be, 'Please, God, don't put me in the position of having to call it.' " Brennaman said. "Because I would not do it justice . . . I don't care if Bonds hits 900 home runs, Henry Aaron will always be the all-time home run king in my estimation."
    Now I'm just a young guy at 46 (as compared to some here), but I seem to recall some saying the same type of thing when Hank Aaron was approaching 714...

  7. #6
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,519

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Now I'm just a young guy at 46 (as compared to some here), but I seem to recall some saying the same type of thing when Hank Aaron was approaching 714...
    That was his first day on the job...first day doing a major league baseball game (that counted)....I can't imagine what was going through his mind.

  8. #7
    Knowledge Is Good Big Klu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Cambridge, OH
    Posts
    19,514

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Maybe they can simulcast George Grande. He seemed more than excited about the first-inning homer.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

  9. #8
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    5,088

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    That was his first day on the job...first day doing a major league baseball game (that counted)....I can't imagine what was going through his mind.
    no Matt, not by Marty necessarily. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

    Many (not all) old-timers of the Caucasian persuasion were not overly happy when Hank was hammering down Ruth's old record. In fact, I don't recall Marty having anything to say about that one way or another.

  10. #9
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,519

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    no Matt, not by Marty necessarily. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

    Many (not all) old-timers of the Caucasian persuasion were not overly happy when Hank was hammering down Ruth's old record. In fact, I don't recall Marty having anything to say about that one way or another.
    Oh, ok...I got you.

    I wasn't around for Hank, but I've heard stories about how he was treated....sad

  11. #10
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    13,461

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    "I don't care if Bonds hits 900 home runs, Henry Aaron will always be the all-time home run king in my estimation."

    I'll be nice this time and point out that Marty and I agree on something here.
    /r/reds

  12. #11
    Reds fan for life!!!! WVPacman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    West Virginia
    Posts
    1,962

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    I agree with EVERYTHING Marty said b/c imo as well Bonds isn't no homerun king Aaron is. Thats what I love about Marty,he does'nt beat around the bush like other announcers do.He says whats on his mind and thats why I want to hear from a reds announcer.HE IS GREAT!!!!
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

  13. #12
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Back in Florida
    Posts
    8,158

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Oh, ok...I got you.

    I wasn't around for Hank, but I've heard stories about how he was treated....sad
    In the Aaron/Ruth chase, there were (far too many) racists who resented Hank because of his skin color and obviously wanted Ruth to keep the record.

    But there were also those who would have preferred Ruth to keep the record for more "technical" reasons. ( Aaron had 3,000 more ABs, longer season, Ruths pitching years/deadball, etc...).
    The argument was that even if Aaron eclipsed Ruth's record it wouldn't mean he was a "better" home run hitter than the Babe.

    It's quite unfair to equate the second group to the racists.

    As a bit of a stathead myself as a kid, I was kind of wishing Aaron would fall short. Wasn't really thrilled when he tied it against the REDS.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

    http://dalmady.blogspot.com

  14. #13
    Member redsrule2500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,216

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I agree with EVERYTHING Marty said b/c imo as well Bonds isn't no homerun king Aaron is. Thats what I love about Marty,he does'nt beat around the bush like other announcers do.He says whats on his mind and thats why I want to hear from a reds announcer.HE IS GREAT!!!!
    So true, well said.
    redsrule2500
    Go Reds!
    Baseball Bliss
    Im a normal guy blessed with the ability to hit a baseball. - Sean Casey

  15. #14
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    no Matt, not by Marty necessarily. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

    Many (not all) old-timers of the Caucasian persuasion were not overly happy when Hank was hammering down Ruth's old record. In fact, I don't recall Marty having anything to say about that one way or another.

    There were plenty of Hateful Idiots not wanting to give Aaron any credit.

    I was there when Hank hit #714 to tie the Babe in 1974. I was proud of the ovation Hank recieved from Reds Fans that packed Riverfront that day.

  16. #15
    Member Ron Madden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,815

    Re: Marty on calling Bonds record-breaking shot

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Maybe he can just tell a story about his neighbor or something when Bonds comes up?

    I bet most wouldn't notice if they missed an at bat.

    It's not like it doesn't happen every night anyway.

    Folks will remember the name Barry Bonds a hundred years from now, Good or Bad.

    Marty will be long forgotten by most baseball fans long before that.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25