Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bonds: Watching is a guilty pleasure

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Bonds: Watching is a guilty pleasure

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar

Re: Bonds: Watching is a guilty pleasure

He's a guilty pleasure now. Bonds is chocolate cake on Weight Watchers. You shouldn't. But, you know, you do. The main effect of the non-stop steroids discussion has been to numb the senses of just about everyone. Only the media are capable of sustaining any seriously righteous indignation, and even that comes and goes.
    WE? You are mistaken Paul Daugherty. I watched last night b/c I watch any teams opposing pitcher bat against my fav team too. I didn't watch b/c I care about big head or the record. I watch b/c I am loyal to my fav team. I actually hope he gets walked for the rest of his career. I get angry when fans of my fav team boo my fav team b/c they choose to walk big head. Boo my team for walking him? Screw you booers. Nothin' personal, but screw you booers. The walk is to help win the game b/c the man is dangerous with the stick (don't like him, but I can admit the truth!). They don't walk him for the reason I mention above... they do it to keep big head from allowing his team to score. To boo this shows baseball ignorance.

The comment about the media just shows Paul's article is a joke. Right?
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

Bonds is the greatest player I've ever seen, and it isn't close. The dude is one of the best sluggers in baseball history, and he's probably among the great half dozen players ever to play the game.

I'm going to Thursday night's game just to watch Bonds hit, and I'm glad he's not in the lineup today since it means he should definitely be in the lineup tomorrow provided he doesn't injure himself pinch hitting today. This could be the last time Bonds is in Cincinnati, and it could be the last opportunity I'll have to watch him hit.

My most vivid Bonds memory watching him live was on August 7th, 2001. The Reds and Giants went to extra innings, and Bonds hit a shot off Danny Graves entirely out of Cinergy to deep center and just to the right center side of the big, black batter's eye that the Reds installed during Cinergy's final two years after they knocked the left and center field seats out. That ball just left the yard and disappeared into the clear, crisp black sky.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    My most vivid Bonds memory watching him live was on August 7th, 2001. The Reds and Giants went to extra innings, and Bonds hit a shot off Danny Graves entirely out of Cinergy to deep center and just to the right center side of the big, black batter's eye that the Reds installed during Cinergy's final two years after they knocked the left and center field seats out. That ball just left the yard and disappeared into the clear, crisp black sky.
    Nobody scores on Danny Graves.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Bonds is the greatest player I've ever seen, and it isn't close. The dude is one of the best sluggers in baseball history, and he's probably among the great half dozen players ever to play the game.
    Amen.

Only the media are capable of sustaining any seriously righteous indignation, and even that comes and goes.
    Glad Doc doesn't take himself too serriously.

Bonds was a great ballplayer. He ruined himself on the alter of steroids. Cobb was a real SOB and yet today people respect and to some degree revear him. Even though Bonds is an olympic class jerk people could have respected him, and grown to maybe even begrudlingly admire him had he not resorted to cheating.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 07-04-2007 at 12:16 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Bonds is an olympic class jerk people could have respected him, and grown to maybe even begrudlingly admire him had he not resorted to cheating.
    Nah, people would still hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post

The comment about the media just shows Paul's article is a joke. Right?
    I would be he is

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Nah, people would still hate him.
    I used to like Bonds during his Pirate years and his few years at SF even though I hated the teams he was on. Call it a revered respect for the opponent. When it became apparent he used, all respect went out the window.

I dont care if he has daily test for every drug available and he came up clean. He stained his own career because he was jealous of the other 'roids players.

Thats unforgivable as a player. If he became the most giving honorable person in the world, i may respect him once again but never as a player.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Unfortunately what you saw wasn't real. Not unlike a magician's trick or a well-produced movie special effect, reality was distorted by the science of deceit.

There is no Santa. Sorry.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Unfortunately what you saw wasn't real. Not unlike a magician's trick or a well-produced movie special effect, reality was distorted by the science of deceit.

There is no Santa. Sorry.
    I really could care less about any of that. The game of baseball itself is a fabric of disservices, and it's been that way for well over 100 years. It's not going to change anytime soon, either, so I accept it for what it is.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

I agree that Bonds is the greatest hitter I have ever seen. I would think so whether he was about to break Aaron's record or not.

But, he is the one who ruined his legacy. There is no way to back track and project how many homers he would have hit had he not been cheating. So, it's difficult to pay much attention to this home run "watch" right now. Some people who really do love baseball seem to think the best thing for the sport is to recognize the record and sweep all this mess under the rug. But, I think that others who love the game just as much want to see the integrity of those numbers preserved and have Bonds' numbers flagged as illigetimate. I fall into the latter category, so I'm not going to miss any bathroom breaks to see the guy hit.

Let's be honest, he's just keeping the seat warm for A-Rod anyway. Assuming nothing comes out between now and then to discredit any of Alex's accomplishments on the field, baseball fans will have a moment they can truly feel good about cheering when A-Rod passes Barry.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jaycint View Post
    Let's be honest, he's just keeping the seat warm for A-Rod anyway. Assuming nothing comes out between now and then to discredit any of Alex's accomplishments on the field, baseball fans will have a moment they can truly feel good about cheering when A-Rod passes Barry.
    Agreed. A-Rod will be the first to 800. Mark it dude. Only to be surpassed by my son Evan in the year 2048.
    Witty signature.

Bonds hit two today against the Cubs. He's now at 753. Figures...I cut him loose from my fantasy team. Oh well.

Turn Off Ads?