Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Todd Frazier ????

Todd Frazier ????

Has there been any word on negotiations with 1st round sandwich pick Todd Frazier? Under the new rules the Reds only have I believe till mid August to sign him.

Seems he is missing valuable developmental time now, expecially when he is expected to have to learn a new position as a pro. Would appreciate anything anyone has heard.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Todd Frazier ????

Here's something I posted on the draft thread.

Some inside info. Frazier will get signed at some point, there was really no worry that he wouldn't from the person I was talking to close to the situation.

Thanks but I'd feel better about him if he was playing . Basicly he is missing getting his pro career started and learning a new position . With the fact he's already a 4 year college player I was hoping he could start at Dayton this year as Cozel has.

I'm guessing he's mature enough and talented enough to start in A ball. But learning a new position might be better in rookie ball either way I want to see him playing and adjusting to the wooden bat too.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_dave00 View Post
    Thanks but I'd feel better about him if he was playing . Basicly he is missing getting his pro career started and learning a new position . With the fact he's already a 4 year college player I was hoping he could start at Dayton this year as Cozel has.

I'm guessing he's mature enough and talented enough to start in A ball. But learning a new position might be better in rookie ball either way I want to see him playing and adjusting to the wooden bat too.
    Some of these guys take time off every year to either get over nagging injuries, or to just take a break. My guess is he gets signed in the next two weeks.
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 07-04-2007 at 10:12 PM.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Frazier was a Jr. this year, and honestly I don't think adjusting to the wood bat is a big deal. He hit pretty well in the Cape Cod league after his sophomore season. He did horrible last year in 20+ AB's, so I'm guessing there was something wrong there.

Getting him signed, period, is the real deal. As long as he signs by the date, I don't mind him missing a month. This really isn't going to hurt his career or development much. This isn't like football where missing training camp can kill your chances of succeeding his first year.

Many consider Pedro Alvarez to be the best prospect in the country heading into next year's draft. The 3B was only a sophomore this year, and was named to his second consecutive All-America team last week. However, in analyzing their numbers, it seems that Frazier, while a year older, had much better numbers than Alvarez this year. That said, why did Frazier not go higher in the draft? I realize he doesn't project to be a SS at the major league level, and accordingly there may be some questions about his fielding. However given that he was a SS and Alvarez was a 3B at the college level, I figure Frazier's gotta have the edge defensively, even if both players project to big league 3B. Frazier had a higher OBP, a higher SLG, (so obviously a higher OPS), and more than quadrupled Alvarez's SB total. So what am I missing here?

Check out their stats:

Frazier .502/.757/.1255 25 SB
    Alvarez .463/.684/.1147 6 SB

I assume their respective levels of competition were fairly comparable, with both players playing major conference ball at the D1 college level. Even assuming Alvarez gets better with one more year of seasoning, how come he is rated so much higher than Frazier?
    Go BLUE!!!

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I assume their respective levels of competition were fairly comparable, with both players playing major conference ball at the D1 college level.
    The Big East isn't really a power league in baseball, Louisville's nice run to the CWS notwithstanding. Alvarez faced better pitching over the course of the season.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

According to Boyds World, Vandy's strength of schedule was 46th in the nation and Rutgers was 136th. It's all about who you play. The SEC teams load up their schedule with a bunch of cream puffs and go 43-15 but because their RPI and SOS are so low, they can't get in the NCAA tourney. I don't think Rutgers faced very many of the top D1 pitchers based on their SOS.

Turn Off Ads?