Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What must Pete accomplish?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • He cannot accomplish enough for my taste!

10 27.78%
  • He must get the record to at least .500

5 13.89%
  • He would have to get them in the playoffs, for me.

6 16.67%
  • World Series!! Nothing else proves a thing too me.

2 5.56%
  • Play above .500 with what he may have to work with

13 36.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete Mackanin: What must he do to secure a long-term job?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Pete Mackanin: What must he do to secure a long-term job?

What must Pete Mackanin do to secure a long term job with you.....the Quasi Virtual Reds GM?

I mean bottom line as in what kind of record what he have to have assuming he stays Interim for the rest of the season?

Also if there are other things besides his record that you would like to see please put them out on the table.

I would like to see all good things as would anyone but I am really going to be watching the players to see if there are signs of disrespect to the game, teammates and manager.

I don't necc. need to see them going full board all the time but I definitely will be watching to see if they are doggin' it. Ala Gonzo on day one of the Re-Pete Era.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-04-2007 at 01:06 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete, what must he do?

I would like to see solid in-game managment and decisions. To me, that was Narron's biggest weakness. He didn't make good decisions and tended to "over-manage," and that drove me crazy.

The playoffs, if he goes 40-40 then what does that mean over a full season? a .500 record and no playoffs
    Go Gators!

I think I hid the poll from everyone but the Mods and Admins. I may need to re-do this thing unless a Mod or Admin can fix it for me!???
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-04-2007 at 04:43 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

To me, it doesn't matter what the team does record wise. Nothing they do will make me say, "McKanin is the guy, call the interviews off." If he shows me that he's a good judge of the talent he has and makes reasonable managerial decisions, then I wouldn't mind him being in the discussion and a part of the interview process over the off-season.

The biggest problem I had with Narron was that he did not judge the talent he had well. Sure, the talent is limited, but he rarely gave his team the best chance to utilize the talent it does have. Pinch hitting Castro for Hamilton said it all. He wanted to "get something started" by pinch hitting a weaker hitter, simply because it made it a lefty-righty matchup. Terrible.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. Thatís the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

He can't. He's the interim manager. He should absolutely have no chance and not even be considered by Castellini and Krivsky. That was stated up front and is supposedly understood by Mackanin.

Considering Pete after having riden that pony before would just confirm that the Reds are a terrible organization from top to bottm.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    To me, it doesn't matter what the team does record wise. Nothing they do will make me say, "McKanin is the guy, call the interviews off." If he shows me that he's a good judge of the talent he has and makes reasonable managerial decisions, then I wouldn't mind him being in the discussion and a part of the interview process over the off-season.
    Thats' how feel.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

He needs to be a rental.

We need a real manager for 2008 going forward.

What's a real manager?
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

If he takes us to the playoff, then why the heck not? We are what, 20 games below or something? If he can right this ship and get us to the playoffs, he knows how to do something right.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If he takes us to the playoff, then why the heck not? We are what, 20 games below or something? If he can right this ship and get us to the playoffs, he knows how to do something right.
    Agreed. How likely is it that he is a fluke if he can get this team into the playoffs? Not very IMO.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I think we can safely banish that notion from our minds. The Reds aren't playing .750 baseball from here on out, which is basically what they'd need to do to make the playoffs.

I think it's important that Mackanin be nothing more than interim, which is too bad because I've liked every single thing that's come out of his mouth so far.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I think we can safely banish that notion from our minds. The Reds aren't playing .750 baseball from here on out, which is basically what they'd need to do to make the playoffs.

I think it's important that Mackanin be nothing more than interim, which is too bad because I've liked every single thing that's come out of his mouth so far.
    We are speaking in hypothetical terms here, obviously no one expects that to happen. Of course if he did do it, I think you would have to admit he would be a no brainer. What's the odds that it is a fluke if it happened?

Why is it important for him to be nothing more than an interim? Especially considering that you like what he has said.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-05-2007 at 01:23 AM.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Why is it important for him to be nothing more than an interim? Especially considering that you like what he has said.
    You don't remake your organization around in-house candidates. I know Mackanin hasn't been with the Reds that long, but the broom needs to sweep clean this time. Boone, Miley and Narron were all part of the institution before they took the helm. Maybe Mackanin would be different, but I don't want to be back to square one again in mid-2009.

I find it highly improbable that Mackanin would have been hired after a full offseason search. Seriously, if he didn't have the job now, would he have been high on the radar this November? I doubt it. It's time for this organization to stop making convenience selections at manager and doing something revolutionary. A completely new regime at the field management level is in order.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You don't remake your organization around in-house candidates. I know Mackanin hasn't been with the Reds that long, but the broom needs to sweep clean this time. Boone, Miley and Narron were all part of the institution before they took the helm. Maybe Mackanin would be different, but I don't want to be back to square one again in mid-2009.

I find it highly improbable that Mackanin would have been hired after a full offseason search. Seriously, if he didn't have the job now, would he have been high on the radar this November? I doubt it. It's time for this organization to stop making convenience selections at manager and doing something revolutionary. A completely new regime at the field management level is in order.
    I just wonder if he's been Krivsky's "guy" waiting in the wings so to speak.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Turn Off Ads?