Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What must Pete accomplish?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • He cannot accomplish enough!

25 36.23%
  • He must get the record to at least .500

15 21.74%
  • He would have to get them in the playoffs.

16 23.19%
  • World Series!! Nothing else proves a thing too me.

4 5.80%
  • Play above .500 with what he may have to work with

9 13.04%

Thread: Pete Mackanin: What must he do to secure a long-term job?

Pete Mackanin: What must he do to secure a long-term job?

As seen in the ORG, with permission from Mario-Rijo (many thanks)

What must Pete Mackanin do to secure a long term job with you.....the Quasi Virtual Reds GM?

I mean bottom line as in what kind of record what he have to have assuming he stays Interim for the rest of the season?

Also if there are other things besides his record that you would like to see please put them out on the table.

I would like to see all good things as would anyone but I am really going to be watching the players to see if there are signs of disrespect to the game, teammates and manager.

I don't necc. need to see them going full board all the time but I definitely will be watching to see if they are doggin' it. Ala Gonzo on day one of the Re-Pete Era.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pete, what must he do?

Quote Originally Posted by T7-niner View Post

What must Pete Mackanin do to secure a long term job with you.....the Quasi Virtual Reds GM?

I mean bottom line as in what kind of record what he have to have assuming he stays Interim for the rest of the season?

Also if there are other things besides his record that you would like to see please put them out on the table.

I would like to see all good things as would anyone but I am really going to be watching the players to see if there are signs of disrespect to the game, teammates and manager.

I don't necc. need to see them going full board all the time but I definitely will be watching to see if they are doggin' it. Ala Gonzo on day one of the Re-Pete Era.
    If the Reds are smart...Mackanin has already been told to forget about the full time job. Why? They need the best manager that the organization can find for the long term. Mackanin's job this year is to keep the team from going into full nuclear meltdown. Starting last week, the organization should be scouting nationwide for the best managerial candidate.

They should not give someone the job based on half a season of non-stress,non-pennant chase ball...regardless of his record. Keep the man around the organization if he wants, but don't consider him as a manager.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    If the Reds are smart...Mackanin has already been told to forget about the full time job. Why? They need the best manager that the organization can find for the long term. Mackanin's job this year is to keep the team from going into full nuclear meltdown. Starting last week, the organization should be scouting nationwide for the best managerial candidate.

They should not give someone the job based on half a season of non-stress,non-pennant chase ball...regardless of his record. Keep the man around the organization if he wants, but don't consider him as a manager.
    Sorry, but we went into full meltdown a few weeks back. Now the town's people are running for their lives. All that's left is a nice mess of toxic radiation.

Who would be your top pick for the managerial job then?

You know, the "proven winner" theory doesn't mean crap to me. These guys were unknowns at some point. Everyone usually starts from the ground up. Look at Girardi's meteoric rise...Now this guy is so hot he can pick and choose between jobs. All because he had a boatload of talent in Florida, but everyone thinks it was him and his Yankee"ness" or whatever....ESPN hype if you ask me.

Why can't the Reds be ahead of the curve for once?

I don't mean to say that Mackanin is the right guy for the long-term haul. But everyone just wants a "name" manager....And that bugs the crap outta me.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Talkin' Baseball

I don't mean to say that Mackanin is the right guy for the long-term haul. But everyone just wants a "name" manager....And that bugs the crap outta me.
    I have to say that I'm with you on that note. I want to see results and not a name. I think more than anything, the organization needs to decide what type of team the want to build, get the right players to fill that vision, and hire a manager who shares that vision. If you decide to go with a slugger oriented offense, don't bring in a guy who wants to play "small ball." The one thing I like about Mackanin so far it that he at least can tell you why he did something.

Paraphrasing...
    Hey Narron, why'd ya pinch hit Castro for Hamilton?

I dunno, trying to get something started. Castro got a hit once in 1998 or something. If someone had been on base, I'd left Josh in there... (huh?)

Hey Mack, why'd ya start Catro and Valentine today?

I believe you need to play bench guys regularly to keep them sharp. (ahh, reason)

There are several things a manager has to do:
    1. Get along with managment and be on page with their vision for the team.
    2. Get along with the players and take care of the clubhouse.
    3. Handle the media.
    4. Make the in game decisions.

In many ways, the manager sets the tone for the team, because he is the primary bridge between the ownership, media, players, and fans. What he says and the way he handles things often dictates the way the team goes. The number one thing a manager must do above all is to earn respect. If the front office, media, players, or fans do not respect the guy, he has no chance to be successful. So of the "big name" guys come with that respect and that is their main advantage. Pete Mack has the opportunity to earn it.

So to answer the poll question: He must earn the respect of the players, the front office, the media, and the fans.
    Last edited by JLB5; 07-05-2007 at 02:24 PM.

Sorry, but we went into full meltdown a few weeks back. Now the town's people are running for their lives. All that's left is a nice mess of toxic radiation.

Who would be your top pick for the managerial job then?

You know, the "proven winner" theory doesn't mean crap to me. These guys were unknowns at some point. Everyone usually starts from the ground up. Look at Girardi's meteoric rise...Now this guy is so hot he can pick and choose between jobs. All because he had a boatload of talent in Florida, but everyone thinks it was him and his Yankee"ness" or whatever....ESPN hype if you ask me.

The Reds as an organization need to get their act together, and independent of the results of this last half of this season...find their top managerial candidate. A planned search. I don't want a name manager. I don't buy the ESPN hype. So don't associate me with that my friend. However, like I said, Mackanin has 80 non-pressure games to do what he can this year. Frankly, a lot of his W-L record in such a time period is simply going to depend on if his players get hot or cold. Nothing against the man, but we need a full fledged plan, and re-upping a interim manager is not the answer. (See Miley,Dave and Narron,Jerry).

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: Pete Mackanin: What must he do to secure a long-term job?

With tongue-in-cheek;
    Mackanin must perform a miracle of Saintly proportions! Then have it confirmed by the Vatican!

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    With tongue-in-cheek;
    Mackanin must perform a miracle of Saintly proportions! Then have it confirmed by the Vatican!
    If thats the case, then I'd hope the vatican would keep that confirmation sealed away in that famous library of their's with all the other subject matter unsuitable for the masses.

I'd have phrased the question a little differently, but my answer is that he must have the team play at least .500 ball to even be considered for the job.

As far as securing the job, he would need to exceed .500 ball, mesh well with Krivsky, set forth and actually use a clear managing philosophy. So far, I think he has done that more clearly than most. I like that he moved Hamilton to lead-off and had a reason for it. I don't like seeing Castro ever starting, but at least he has a reason for it.

The only thing I don't want to see is anyone signed as manager before the off-season. Give us a half-season with Mackanin and some time to digest him and our other options before we rush to sign anyone.

**All of this is moot if he gets us to the playoffs. If he does that, by all means, give him the job and the key to the city.

i put get us to the playoffs, which i know is a ridiculous goal, and will not happen, so basically imo there is no chance for him to get the job.

I don't think getting us to the playoffs is a serious option- if he could get us back to .500 it would mean he would have got the team to play 18 games over.500. Any Cincinnati manager who can do a job like that should immediately be signed to a five -year deal. It has probably been awhile since the Reds were 18 games over .500

Riddle me this,

Lets say the Reds finish the second half of the season at 50-24
    86-76 overall(Hey it's baseball)Dunn and Jr are not traded but
    Loshe,Weathers,Hatte are . Now lets say Votto,Bray,Guardado, Homer and the rest help the club more than expected and at seasons end some of the players and coaches put in a good word for Mackanin ,what would you do?

I would give Mackanin a 1yr ext and go from there.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by Fullboat View Post
    Riddle me this,

Lets say the Reds finish the second half of the season at 50-24
    86-76 overall(Hey it's baseball)Dunn and Jr are not traded but
    Loshe,Weathers,Hatte are . Now lets say Votto,Bray,Guardado, Homer and the rest help the club more than expected and at seasons end some of the players and coaches put in a good word for Mackanin ,what would you do?

I would give Mackanin a 1yr ext and go from there.
    Though I dont expect them to produce a 50-24 record, I think it is very possible they could be significantly better.
    Hopefully Votto and Bray will be a big part of that, along with Homer .
    Last edited by jmac; 07-09-2007 at 11:47 PM.

18 games over .500 would put them at 82-80 and give them a winning season for the first time in years. I think that would be good enough for a one year extension, and the opportunity to show he could repeat it.

ORG Infidel

Quote Originally Posted by summerplight View Post
    If thats the case, then I'd hope the vatican would keep that confirmation sealed away in that famous library of their's with all the other subject matter unsuitable for the masses.
    Wow....

There is a lot of pressure to get a big-name manager. I would think he would have to get the team to 82 wins on the year, and that won't be easy.

Turn Off Ads?