Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New manager, new standard

Pitching is the thing WVRedsFan's Avatar

New manager, new standard

Interesting stuff from John Fay:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/redsinsider/

Matt Belisle was shocked by the quick hook by Pete Mackanin.

“I didn’t see that coming,” Belisle said.

Belisle gave up five runs in the fourth, including four on Fred Lewis’ grand slam, in the fourth.

New manager, new standard for what gets a starter pulled.

“I really like Matt Belisle,” Mackanin said. “He ran into some adversity and he didn’t show a lot of fortitude. It looked like he got out of synch. Unfortunately, it cost us that big inning.

“That obviously put a big hurt on us.”

The reason Belisle got pulled?

“For me, what it boiled down to is after the bit of adversity,” Mackanin said, “I didn’t like the quality of the stuff afterward. I can’t take the chance to send him out the next inning without the command of his pitches. I’m going to have to go to somebody else, and I’d rather give them a fresh start.

“Hey, this is the major leagues. You want these guys to develop .

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: New manager, new standard

Pretty honest and refreshing answer by Mack.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I didn't mind it at all. IF they guys don't cut it then pull them, but I also liked him going out to the mound and keeping Gosling in and he had some success. These guys have to gain confidence. 2-2 in calls in my book tonight.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

That was a well reasoned move by Mack. One of my problems with Narron was the slow hook.

Taking a pitcher out when he is clearly not throwing well is generally a pretty good idea. I remember facing the Cards this season where Tony LaRussa gave the quick hook to guys like Keisler and Wellemeyer who were not pitching well, but LaRussa took them out before major damage struck. I can't remeber the results of the games, but they ended up being close because the pitcher wasn't left in long enough to completely lose the game.

I'm not saying I'm a LaRussa fan by any means, but knowing when to take your pitcher out is an important skill for a manager to have.

The fact that Belisle was surprised to be pulled after giving up 5 early runs is the scary part.

If that's what Pete was quoted as saying.....He's off to a great start in my book.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    The fact that Belisle was surprised to be pulled after giving up 5 early runs is the scary part.

If that's what Pete was quoted as saying.....He's off to a great start in my book.
    It's an accurate quotation. That interview was shown on the FSN post-game show.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I agree Belisle is lucky to be in the rotation at this point, Mac did the right thing here and it shows one of the many reasons why Narron was canned.

Nice and refreshing honesty.

Also nice that Mack didn't give the standard, non-specific, "Belisle pitched pretty good but made a few mistakes" or "he's a gamer. I'm sure he's upset about the grandslam but I know he's a fighter".
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

The quick hook only helps if you have a bullpen that doesn't bleed runs.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    That's what I thought. If you get bombed for five runs, you shouldn't be surprised if you get yanked.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    That's what I thought. If you get bombed for five runs, you shouldn't be surprised if you get yanked.
    It is all a culture thing.

The culture here lately has been "try to suck no worse than the guy who pitched the day before you."

The new sheriff in town really has nothing to lose in the way of alienating the current group of players. However, he may want to take a nice, long look at the chum that resides in the bullpen before he makes a habit of this.
    "Booing on opening day is like telling grandma her house smells like old lady."--WOY

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I agree Belisle is lucky to be in the rotation at this point, Mac did the right thing here and it shows one of the many reasons why Narron was canned.
    I suppose he's lucky to be in the rotation, but on the other hand, what else do you really have by way of a competent replacement?

Nothing at Louisville should have anyone in this staff looking over their shoulders.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I know the bases were loaded, but the Reds chuckers so frequently just give in and make sure they throw a strike way too often and seemingly have no concept or desire to throw a quality strike. Walking in a run is almost seen as big of a sin as striking out, it seems, rather than regrouping and working on the next hitter.

From C. Trent's blog

Pete: "Everyone wants the veteran who knows how to get out of jams. But if you don’t want him, you want the hot, young phenom who can just blow people away and get by with mistakes. But then there’s the rest of us, the guys in the middle, with a lot of ability and potential and you hope one day it clicks for them. It’s going to click one day for Matt Belisle. It has in the past, you’ve seen him good. You can’t get overly excited. You want to win games and it’s tough to watch, but you’ve got to be careful who you’re giving up on."
    I think this is a great quote from Mackanin on Belisle. Things I agree with: 1. Belisle's got good potential. 2. He will stick with Belisle, even if it takes a while. 3. People need to relax and let these players develop. 4. Focus on talent, not wins and losses.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    From C. Trent's blog

I think this is a great quote from Mackanin on Belisle. Things I agree with: 1. Belisle's got good potential. 2. He will stick with Belisle, even if it takes a while. 3. People need to relax and let these players develop. 4. Focus on talent, not wins and losses.
    I did not see yesterday's outing, but I have been struck in several of his outings this year how good his curve is (and sometimes his slider) and how little he goes to his curve. He has a knee buckler that is a great compliment to his low 90s FB that he can throw for strikes and I don't think he throws it nearly enough. Whether that is his fault or Ross', I don't know, but Ross has not impressed me at all with his pitch selection and location calls many, many times, so I think he might be a part of the problem (or maybe it was Narron, hopefully).

Turn Off Ads?