Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RUMOR: Adam Dunn is a lock to be an Angel by deadline RUMOR:

RUMOR: Adam Dunn is a lock to be an Angel by deadline RUMOR:

OK, at a get together for the 4th I went to, the prevailing RUMOR was supposed to be from a good source that the Angels would give the Reds two HIGH minors pitchers for Adam Dunn.

Some names of the pitchers were thrown around but I did not recognize any of them....but the chatter was that they were pretty good prospects.
    "Is there a problem officers?"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RUMOR: Adam Dunn is a lock to be an Angel by deadline RUMOR:

chatter is chatter. One thing I"ve learned in this game is that nothing is a lock until it happens. Adam for two high pitchers. Would be interesting.
    And This One Belongs to the REDS!!!

Sounds like the kind of deal Wayne would bite on for Dunn. Not saying it's good or bad obviously, but that seems like what Wayne would be fishing for.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Dunn would be a good fit there IMO. But I hope he also can get his hands on Brandon Wood to boot, even if we gotta give them an additional player preferably a role player.

How about Wood, Jose Arredondo and Steven Shell? I'd say that's pretty fair.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 07-05-2007 at 01:40 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I find this hard to believe, everything the Reds talked about in the last few days sounded to me like they were not going to rebuild, the plan is win now.
    Go Gators!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I find this hard to believe, everything the Reds talked about in the last few days sounded to me like they were not going to rebuild, the plan is win now.
    Sounds a lot like another famous plan I've heard of:

1. Steal Underpants
    2. ????????????????
    3. Profit
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Hey..2/3rds of the way their isn't bad
    Go Gators!

If that is what we need to win...do it.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

I'm just jealous that you get to go to July 4th get-togethers where they talk about stuff like this. I got to go to my in-laws and listen to them talk about their cats until I wanted to drink Drano...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

LAA is tied with Cleveland for the second best record in baseball and it's fairly clear that they'll win their division (unless the Ms can magically trade for at least one top tier starting pitcher-even then MS fans just get reasonable hope for a WC).

DH is one of the easier problems to solve. I'm not an expert on the Angels system but I do keep an eye on it given my interest in the AL West. The Angels may send two pitching *prospects* to the Reds for three months of Dunn but given the above, it's not likely to be two that the Angels would miss. Nick Adenhart is currently their best pitching propsect (some might argue their only real pitching prospect in high ball) and it's pretty safe to assume that he's off limits. Beyond him, basically you're looking at relievers or guys projecting to be back end arms at best.

Woods is pretty much off limits especially in rent a player type scenarios.

Teams just dont trade their top prospects in such deals.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Since when? What about the Unit and Bartolo deals?

How about Drew Henson?

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Especially not teams that have recent histories of success. I could see a team selling the farm if they hadn't had a legit post-season appearence in a long time and their fans were hungry for winning baseball. That kind of scenario might make a team do something dumb...

...wait a minute...
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

LAA is tied with Cleveland for the second best record in baseball and it's fairly clear that they'll win their division (unless the Ms can magically trade for at least one top tier starting pitcher-even then MS fans just get reasonable hope for a WC).

DH is one of the easier problems to solve. I'm not an expert on the Angels system but I do keep an eye on it given my interest in the AL West. The Angels may send two pitching *prospects* to the Reds for three months of Dunn but given the above, it's not likely to be two that the Angels would miss. Nick Adenhart is currently their best pitching propsect (some might argue their only real pitching prospect in high ball) and it's pretty safe to assume that he's off limits. Beyond him, basically you're looking at relievers or guys projecting to be back end arms at best.

Woods is pretty much off limits especially in rent a player type scenarios.

As has been noted several times, the return on trading Dunn is going to be determined in large part by the negotiation of a deal in the 48 hour window with Dunn. Your analysis presumes it will only be a rental situation.

The Angels know they're a postseason team. Their object now is to be a team that can win it all. Dunn is EXACTLY the type of player -- a power/OBP lefty -- they need, badly. Their rotation is solid, the back end of their pen is very good. You don't need a lot of middle relief in the postseason, so no worries there. Dunn is the missing piece.

Similarly, the Angels are the type of club the Reds are hoping to deal with. They've got a good farm system, and some overflow of major-league ready young players. I see it as a good match, the best match out there for the Reds. I'd be surprised if it was only pitchers coming back to Cincy, but, if that were the case, my guess is that Adenhart or Saunders would definitely be included. I'd also like to see Jeff Mathis come here -- the Reds need a young catcher with some potential. Mathis has stalled in LA, and a fresh start could mean a lot to him.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Adenhart is their best pitching prospect. The Angels have a bunch of failed prospects from recents years(McPherson, Mathis, Kotchman(until this year), Santana.

Call me skeptical, Dunn doesn't fit their mold. They like contact, low K hitters and their lineup shows it.
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

Turn Off Ads?