Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds Midseason Prospect Assessment

Re: Reds Midseason Prospect Assessment

Chris Dickerson has not impressed me at all with his bat. Like his cousin Eric , he has great speed . Good defensive outfielder , but his bat is slider speed if you have a decent fastball you can throw it right by him.

If he hits a soft grounder he has a chance of beating it out. Personally I think he is at his max level AAA.

Also I think Josh Roenicke and his 95 mph fastball and being groomed as a closer should be higher on the list , he is in only his 2nd minor league season and closing at Chatanooga. He saved his 18th game tonight , he will be 25 in August though.

2007 Season
    Team League W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV IP H R ER BB SO
    SAR FSL 2 1 3.25 27 0 0 0 16 27.2 23 10 10 15 41
    CHA SOU 1 1 1.27 7 0 0 0 2 7.0 4 2 1 2 11
    Minors 3 2 2.86 34 18 34.2 27 12 11 17 52
    Last edited by indy_dave00; 07-05-2007 at 11:21 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Using that system:
    1.Bruce,Votto,Cueto: This is pretty easy. After Cueto showed it was more mental than physical with his high A slump, he became a grade A prospect. The other 2 were already there.
    No offense but wouldnt you think a poor mental approach should knock down a prospects status, in particular for a pitcher. See Kyle Lohse. His numbers were never bad just not what we were all looking for. Hopefully he just got a little more motivation with the jump.

Thanks for the comments. FWIW, while I did maintain a ranking system in he "Others to Watch" section, it is very loosely based and is more of a general grouping than anything else. The reason I didn't assign those players an actual grade was because their value can fluctuate so quickly throughout the course of the season (let alone a couple seasons), while the graded prospects were assigned grades due to both continuous performance as well as their pedigree. While their values can obviously change fairly quickly- as can any prospect's, they have established themselves through performance and/or pedigree as fixtures to watch in the Reds' minor league system, whereas the "Others" are just guys who currently are on the radar, if that makes any sense. Stubbs may be the one exception to that rule, but his extended poor performance since being drafted has dropped him down into that grouping, although he and Dickerson both remain on the fringe. Also, now that he's alledgedly signed, you can add Scott Carroll to the list of others to watch.

I do realize that Daryl Thompson had his shoulder done and not TJ surgery, apologies for the oversight. Also, while I do realize Valaika does not neccessarily have better plate discipline than Francisco (my mistake), what I meant to say was that he is more polished overall- as a fielder and a baseball player in general (not to sound too much like Jerry Narron). Medlock, Pelland, Guevara, and Roenicke all rank a little lower on the list than their performances indicate because they are relief pitchers. Whether or not thats merited is another debate. I really like Medlock as a relief prospect, and the others aren't too shabby as well.

Anyways, thanks again for your comments.
    Go BLUE!!!

Have any of you seen any of these guys play in real games????

What is a Fulff player???? All seem to working super hard at their jobs....

Quote Originally Posted by debra View Post
    Have any of you seen any of these guys play in real games????
    I know there are members here who go to Dragons games. Not sure about the other affiliates.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I have seen many of these guys play in real games. Between going to games and watching them on tv and online I have seen almost all of the guys play that are above rookie ball.

Quote Originally Posted by holster10 View Post
    nice thought but what makes you a "qualified" talent evaluator?

please save this stuff for the pros....

thank you.
    Nice post, you're obviously a professional in what you do.

If you go to a message board, looking for "qualified" statements, you're going to be at quite a loss. (No offense intended toward Benihana--nice list.)

All dyslexics must untie!

Wither DeJesus?
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    If you go to a message board, looking for "qualified" statements, you're going to be at quite a loss. (No offense intended toward Benihana--nice list.)
    Well just remember, qualified personnel brought us Paul Householder, Willie Greene and Brandon Larson in the past. Benihana is just as qualified as them, IMO.

Found this in the archives. Given the posting of today's list, I think it's interesting to look back at what this list looked like exactly two years ago. Perhaps to the surprise of many, a lot of the names on the list are the same.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?