Phillips 2b
    Griffey rf
    Conine 1b
    Dunn lf
    Freel 3b
    Gonzalez ss
    Ross c
    Arroyo p

Pete said he did it because Josh's OBP is better and Freel's numbers with RISP are better.

Interesting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Woah, Hamilton hitting leadoff, Freel 6th

I'm ready for change... I like it.

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Pete said he did it because Josh's OBP is better and Freel's numbers with RISP are better.

Interesting.
    About time OBP became a priority in lineup construction, although Phillips' doesn't exactly have the best OBP for the 2 hole. At least he is acknowleging the concept.

Wait a minute, isn't a right pitching today (Morris)?

Why is Conine hitting 4th, and why is EE sititng when he has a .294/.354/.417 line against righties?
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Senor Votto

That's interesting

Why is Conine hitting 4th, and why is EE sititng when he has a .294/.354/.417 line against righties?
    EE is 1 for 12 lifetime against Morris and Conine is playing because Mackanin likes his numbers against Morris more than Hatteberg's.

He's already stated that he wants to get plenty of playing time for Freel and some others so those who didn't like how Narron used so many different lineups, it's probably going to get worse with this guy.

Although I hate having EE sit, by playing Freel a lot and at different position, you could possibly increase his trade value. Flipping Freel before the deadline wouldn't be the worst thing to do.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKlu View Post
    Although I hate having EE sit, by playing Freel a lot and at different position, you could possibly increase his trade value. Flipping Freel before the deadline wouldn't be the worst thing to do.
    I honestly don't think Krivsky has the mental capacity to think that far in advance.

Talkin' Baseball

Well, if he plans to start Freel most days, somebody or another will be sitting. I guess he'd rather keep the lefties in against Morris. Not sure what Conine playing is about unless he has a better history against Morris than Hatte or maybe a trade is TBA?

I honestly don't think Krivsky has the mental capacity to think that far in advance.
    Hey, sometimes it better to be lucky than good.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    He's already stated that he wants to get plenty of playing time for Freel and some others so those who didn't like how Narron used so many different lineups, it's probably going to get worse with this guy.
    I won't be surprised to see him experiment with some things. Griffey is the anchor at #3, so he needs to decide who else he is going to anchor and where (besides Gozo/Ross at 7/8). It looks like he may be leaving Phillips in the #2 hole. I'd prefer someone with a higher OBP and better bat skills in that spot, but this team is severely handicapped in those type of hitters.

The problem with making out a lineup for the reds is that they don't seem to have a # 1 or # 2 hitter on their roster. I hope they address that after the season.

Talkin' Baseball

Quote Originally Posted by James B. View Post
    The problem with making out a lineup for the reds is that they don't seem to have a # 1 or # 2 hitter on their roster. I hope they address that after the season.
    Actually, depending upon who else is in the lineup, Hamilton could be a very good lead off hitter for this squad. Stolen bases are overrated and Hamilton has plenty of speed on the basepaths. If he is able to get on base at a .360+ clip, I have no problem with giving him that job on a permanent basis when you have other sluggers like Griff and Dunn in the middle of the lineup.

I don't like to critique the batting order too often, but I just can't figure out the obsession with batting him clean-up. His line when batting 4th is .273/.273/.364/.637 with just 3 HRs and 15 RBIs in 91 ABs. His numbers with nobody on base or with a runner on 1st are just as dreadful.

If the Reds really need Conine in the line-up to take advantage of his nice avg. with RISP (.333) or numbers against Morris (.308 avg, .385 OBP, weak .305 SLG tho), then why not bat him 6th? It's not a great sample size, but with 28 ABs in the 6 hole he's hitting .333/.391/.667/1.058.

I just can't figure it out (especially with a righty on the mound!).

i like have Phillips in the 2 spot
    Whatcha gonna do, brother, when Brennemania runs wild on you!!

Turn Off Ads?