Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds '07 3rd Round pick SS Neftali Soto's Nuclear Professional Start

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Reds '07 3rd Round pick SS Neftali Soto's Nuclear Professional Start

Anyone else watching this?

2007 3rd round pick SS Neftali Soto is just putting up Playstation like numbers in the GCL right now

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/m...pbp&pid=519304

53PA - .429AVG/.463OBP/.592SLG/1055OPS - 0HR, 6Doub, 1Trip

Small sample size alert, so he may just fall off the map and we'll never hear of him again. But I can't think of any better way to start off a pro career.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 07-05-2007 at 11:54 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Re: Reds '07 3rd Round pick SS Neftali Soto's Nuclear Professional Start

He has been fairly incredible so far this season. While you would like to see some more walks, there is very little you can complain about when he is hitting everything near the plate to the tune of a .429 average.

Can't do much but sit back and enjoy. And hope his stats don't completely drop off at some point.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    He has been fairly incredible so far this season. While you would like to see some more walks, there is very little you can complain about when he is hitting everything near the plate to the tune of a .429 average.
    Appearantly they are throwing him hittable pitches, so there is nothing wrong with that (I know you know this). The real sign will be when he comes back to Earth to see if he takes walks when he hits around .300.

You'd like to see a bit more power, too. Although I suppose he's so young that he'll gain strength and those doubles will start turning into homeruns. How nice would it be to have another red-hot hitting prospect to complement The Boss?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I like Soto, but keep in mind this is 12 games in the Gulf Coast.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

cross your fingers that he's not 21.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    Oh the Milton post now this, are you trying to ruin my week? :

But seriously I hope that isn't the case, it's one thing I hadn't thought of.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BoydsOfSummer View Post
    I don't recall that being a problem coming out of Puerto Rico.

Doug, is Soto a "pure" shortstop, or is he another guy who gets moved to a corner spot or the outfield? It seems like the Reds have a ton of guys who can play short, but aren't really shortstops (Valaika, Cozart, Frazier, just to name a few).

Quote Originally Posted by OesterPoster View Post
    Doug, is Soto a "pure" shortstop, or is he another guy who gets moved to a corner spot or the outfield? It seems like the Reds have a ton of guys who can play short, but aren't really shortstops (Valaika, Cozart, Frazier, just to name a few).
    Soto is viewed as a corner guy. Ditto for Frazier. Cozart is different animal. He has a chance to stick at SS because of his hands despite being just average in range and arm strength.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve4192 View Post
    Soto is viewed as a corner guy. Ditto for Frazier. Cozart is different animal. He has a chance to stick at SS because of his hands despite being just average in range and arm strength.
    Really I hadn't heard that about Soto.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    You'd like to see a bit more power, too. Although I suppose he's so young that he'll gain strength and those doubles will start turning into homeruns.
    The GCL is a tough place to hit the longball. Last year, no one on the GCL Reds hit more than three taters, and even the much ballyhooed Jay Bruce could only manage five big flies in his GCL stint back in 2005.

When it comes to evaluating GCL power numbers, I am much more interested in the % of hits that go for extra bases, and Soto is doing just fine in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Really I hadn't heard that about Soto.
    From his MLB.com scouting report:

Fielding: He has long actions in the field and might need to move from shortstop.

Arm Strength: Soto has an average arm.

Range: Despite having good speed, he doesn't have the first-step quickness to have the range needed to stay at shortstop.

Strengths: He's got a good overall package of tools, with power projection being the best one.

Weaknesses: He doesn't have the defensive game to stay at shortstop.

Summary: Soto has an intriguing package of tools that includes raw power and above-average speed. Currently a shortstop, he doesn't profile as a guy who'll be able to stay there, particularly range-wise. That's OK, because his offensive skill set fits better at third. He should hit enough for the position and could develop into a No. 5 or 6 hitter in a big-league lineup.

I thought Cozart was supposed to be some kind of defensive wiz. If he is barely passable at short, can someone explain to me why he was a second round pick?

Turn Off Ads?