Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50

Thread: Insane trade ideas

  1. #16
    Let's ride BRM's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Colorado's eastern plains
    Posts
    11,232

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Ken Griffey Jr. to the Mets for Carlos Gomez

    HOUSTON - The Mets' depleted outfield took another hit yesterday when rookie Carlos Gomez underwent surgery in New York for a broken bone in his left hand. Gomez, who broke the hamate bone on a checked swing in the sixth inning of Wednesday's 17-7 loss at Colorado, will be out at least six to eight weeks.

    The shocking news left the Mets scrambling for a long-term option to fill their cursed leftfield spot. Gomez had been filling in for Moises Alou and Endy Chavez, neither of whom is ready to return from leg injuries.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,752

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Yep, totally worth it as far as I'm concerned. Do it in a heartbeat. Sure stud RF and an advanced catching prospect for a maybe stud RF, an aging SS and a 21-year-old pitcher? You'd have to pinch me.

    Though I didn't start the thread to talk about my off-the-wall proposal, I started it to see how creative people could get on trade proposals.
    Well, admittedly I don't know much about Thigpen, so I was evaluating the trade based off of Rios alone. I would not do that trade for Rios. Nor do I think the Reds would ever consider trading Hamilton at this point, and not just because "Krivsky is ______". I don't think there are many if any GM's in the game that would trade Hamilton at this point, the risk/reward just isn't there.
    Go BLUE!!!

  4. #18
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,431

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Josh can't be dealt without being offered back to the Devil Rays.

  5. #19
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,618

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Though I didn't start the thread to talk about my off-the-wall proposal, I started it to see how creative people could get on trade proposals.
    I'm not sure these are off-the-wall, but I'd like to gamble on at least one of the following enigmatic pitchers. If problems each face can ever be solved, either would add a major element to a rotation.

    First, I'd talk to Oakland about Rich Harden. I'm convinced his upper body will eventually hold up to the torque created by his excellent lower body mechanics, so he is worth a major gamble. The A's just might be tiring of his upper body strains and be willing to move him for a big, big bat. I'd send them big, big Dunn, Weathers, Drew Stubbs and money for Harden.

    If that fails, I ring up Toronto. I'm not crazy about A.J. Burnett's contract, mechanics, elbow, or brain, but he is really burning bridges in Toronto and possibly available. His problems make him hard to move so maybe Ricciardi will make a basic psycho dump to a team willing to give up spare parts and some future hope. I'd offer them Freel, Weathers, and Stubbs for Burnett and money.

    If the Reds are going to make any moves, I want them to acquire pitching, pitching, and more pitching. The position players can be added after they have fixed the pitching.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Posts
    3,754

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Jr to NYM for Milledge, Pelfrey and Humber.

    Dunn to ANA for Brandon Wood, Jeff Mathis and Steve Shell

    Dunn to ARI for Quentin, Hairston and Owings.

    Weathers and Hatteberg to NYY for Chamberlain and another spect.

  7. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Posts
    9,752

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    Jr to NYM for Milledge, Pelfrey and Humber.

    Dunn to ANA for Brandon Wood, Jeff Mathis and Steve Shell

    Dunn to ARI for Quentin, Hairston and Owings.

    Weathers and Hatteberg to NYY for Chamberlain and another spect.
    No offense, but I think each one of these deals is pretty wishful thinking (as a Reds fan). I don't think the Reds would hesitate to do any of the deals, and I think each of the other teams would laugh.

    I think in each one of those deals, you could get MAYBE two of the three.

    But I'd expect that kind of wishful thinking out of a Buckeye fan
    Go BLUE!!!

  8. #22
    Member Highlifeman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN
    Posts
    8,694

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Arroyo, Cueto, Wood to the Yankees for Phillip Hughes

    KGJ, Ryan Freel, David Ross, Lohse to the Braves for either McCann or Salty.

    Weathers, Stanton, Guardado to the Tigers for Marcus Thames.

  9. #23
    Man Pills
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    24,874

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I'm not sure these are off-the-wall, but I'd like to gamble on at least one of the following enigmatic pitchers. If problems each face can ever be solved, either would add a major element to a rotation.

    First, I'd talk to Oakland about Rich Harden. I'm convinced his upper body will eventually hold up to the torque created by his excellent lower body mechanics, so he is worth a major gamble. The A's just might be tiring of his upper body strains and be willing to move him for a big, big bat. I'd send them big, big Dunn, Weathers, Drew Stubbs and money for Harden.

    If that fails, I ring up Toronto. I'm not crazy about A.J. Burnett's contract, mechanics, elbow, or brain, but he is really burning bridges in Toronto and possibly available. His problems make him hard to move so maybe Ricciardi will make a basic psycho dump to a team willing to give up spare parts and some future hope. I'd offer them Freel, Weathers, and Stubbs for Burnett and money.

    If the Reds are going to make any moves, I want them to acquire pitching, pitching, and more pitching. The position players can be added after they have fixed the pitching.
    You would trade the Reds two best trading chips for a gimp like Harden, a guy who will likely never throw a full major league season?

    Good lord.

  10. #24
    Posting in Dynarama M2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    28,139

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You would trade the Reds two best trading chips for a gimp like Harden, a guy who will likely never throw a full major league season?

    Good lord.
    Hey now, I did ask for insane trade ideas here. I like that Spitball jumped out of the box. What you got? Surely you've got something up your sleeve that would be punching Homer Bailey's ticket.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

    I'm witchcrafting everybody.

  11. #25
    Five Tool Fool jojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    18,573

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Here goes some truly insane trade ideas (truly truly insane):

    1. Josh Hamilton to the Redsox for Piniero. Joel Pineiro would solidify the rotation (those Redsox were waisting him in middle relief).

    2. Phillips to the Yankees for Damon. Johnny Damon is the *legit* lead off man (cough) that fans have been clamoring for. Phillips could play 3b when AROD leaves.

    3. Votto and Cueto to the M's for Vidro and Sexson. Wow mucho power from the rightside that anchors first base for the next few years and Vidro replaces Phillips at second. I know the Ms are getting robbed here so maybe the Reds could trick them into taking Coffey too.

    The absolute best part of these deals? By taking on the almost $40M a year in salary and acquiring big names that everyone would recognize (as opposed to the obscure guys they'd be trading away), ownership would signal to fans that they are seriously committed to *contending*.

    As a bonus, this would've made the Reds much better in 2003.

    :all_cohol
    Last edited by jojo; 07-06-2007 at 09:15 PM.
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

  12. #26
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,618

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    You would trade the Reds two best trading chips for a gimp like Harden, a guy who will likely never throw a full major league season?

    Good lord.
    Yep, I'd trade the Reds' two best chips for Harden. There would not be a pitcher with better potential out there. What are the Reds going to get for Dunn? If you look at the Abreu and Lee trades of last year and the Soriano non-trade you realize there isn't likely to be a sellers' market. What are the Reds going to get for Weathers? Maybe a potential bottom of the rotation pitcher. I'd take Harden's potential.

    Harden's major injuries have been related to his upper body versus lower body mechanics. He has ticked off management due to his weight lifting program and could be made available for a Dunn's bat and I would love to see that trade.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  13. #27
    nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cincy West
    Posts
    4,925

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Yep, I'd trade the Reds' two best chips for Harden. There would not be a pitcher with better potential out there. What are the Reds going to get for Dunn? If you look at the Abreu and Lee trades of last year and the Soriano non-trade you realize there isn't likely to be a sellers' market. What are the Reds going to get for Weathers? Maybe a potential bottom of the rotation pitcher. I'd take Harden's potential.

    Harden's major injuries have been related to his upper body versus lower body mechanics. He has ticked off management due to his weight lifting program and could be made available for a Dunn's bat and I would love to see that trade.
    Well his injuries due to his upper body mechanics have curtailed his ability to pitch for 3 straight years; in fact he's been healthy only one year, 2004.

    I'd pass; Dunn is actually doing it; Harden is all potential. I'd also stay away from hurt pitchers, or have you forgotten Uncle Milty so soon?

  14. #28
    Member wally post's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Here goes some truly insane trade ideas (truly truly insane):


    2. Phillips to the Yankees for Damon. Johnny Damon is the *legit* lead off man (cough) that fans have been clamoring for. Phillips could play 3b when AROD leaves.

    :all_cohol
    Wow. I think Damon is D O N E. The Yankees would certainly fall all over themselves to do that deal.

  15. #29
    Member Spitball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    5,618

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Well his injuries due to his upper body mechanics have curtailed his ability to pitch for 3 straight years; in fact he's been healthy only one year, 2004.
    Hey, M2 asked us to present "insane trade ideas." This is an insane but plausible (oxymoron maybe?) trade idea. When a team trades a Dunn, they trade his salary and production for potential and lack of salary. It is going to be a gamble for both clubs. That's the way it works. There is not a trade that I can see out there that offers the Reds an obvious potential number one like Harden. Sure he is a gamble, but so is any pitching prospect. However, there isn't a prospect like Harden available that has the potential to be a number one. He has had injuries, but so have lots of pitchers. With Harden, we are talking mostly back and abnomin and not elbow. The upside with Harden is better than any other pitcher I see out there and that includes Philip Hughes.

    I think we are all slow to realize that teams are no longer willing to trade the young, unflawed potential number one starting pitcher or that stud outfielder for that chance to go to the playoffs. Otherwise, we would have seen the wealthy Yankees deal Philip Hughes or the Mets include Lastings Milledge in a deal for some kind of roster help. The times are a changing and the small market teams that figure out how to capitalize might just emerge with a contender.


    Quote Originally Posted by Always Red
    I'd pass; Dunn is actually doing it; Harden is all potential. I'd also stay away from hurt pitchers, or have you forgotten Uncle Milty so soon?
    Sorry, but that is what a deadline deal is all about. You trade production and salary for potential. It is a good idea to go for a potential number one.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

  16. #30
    Member wally post's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    1,122

    Re: Insane trade ideas

    Yeah, Spitball, great point. I like Harden. and also Carlos Gomez. No to Milledge IMO.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25