Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Hamilton hit cleanup in next year's lineup?

Should Hamilton hit cleanup in next year's lineup?

I am willing to concede Hamilton is our best option for leadoff this year. However with his excellent plate discipline and considerable power, I think we should pick up a legitimate leadoff hitter in this offseason, and have Hamilton hit in the cleanup spot next year. I know he has only 29 rbis so far this year, but he has hit leadoff a lot this year, which is why he has such a low number. I believe he will do a good job batting leadoff this year, but in the future we should think about having hit in the middle of the lineup.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should Hamilton hit cleanup in next year's lineup?

While I have always bashed dunn alot on this board.. and I love Hamilton.. I think Hamilton is the perfect 4 or 5 hitter in this lineup.. His batting is close to dunn when it comes to power, and plate discipline, but he just seems to have a knack for getting hits when they are needed.. unlike dunn.. the other good thing about him.. he can play defense.. I think he is a perfect 4 or 5 hitter especially in this lineup..

It all depends who we find in the free agent market. Unless we go out and get a legit leadoff hitter, he's probably the best combo of OBP and speed we have, no matter what his power is. It all depends what else we have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Senor Votto

There are alot of variables to this question. Will Griffey and Dunn still be on the team? Will Wayne K. pick up a power hitting bat? Will Hambone stay away from drugs? How good is Votto going to be up here? Let's wait till next year to answer that question. Until then keep him at leadoff.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    There are alot of variables to this question. Will Griffey and Dunn still be on the team? Will Wayne K. pick up a power hitting bat? Will Hambone stay away from drugs? How good is Votto going to be up here? Let's wait till next year to answer that question. Until then keep him at leadoff.
    Hamilton
    Edwin
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Best. Lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

I love Adam Dunn, but he doesn't have enough plate discipline or get enough hits to hit cleanup.Besides, Hatteberg is only on the team until Wayne can trade him and bring Votto up. The rest of your lineup is perfectly fine.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I love Adam Dunn, but he doesn't have enough plate discipline or get enough hits to hit cleanup.Besides, Hatteberg is only on the team until Wayne can trade him and bring Votto up. The rest of your lineup is perfectly fine.
    how do you figure Dunn doesnt have the plate discipline?
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

One third of his ABs end in strikeouts. He will take a lot of walks, but he doesn't get enough hits to drive runners in. He has done better this year, but he would need to consistantly hit .270 or .280 to bat cleanup. He is only batting cleanup now because we don't have a true cleanup hitter. However, that could change next year with Josh Hamilton.

Is there a fascination with putting certain marquee players in certain roles? I've always been a fan of Dunn in the 2 hole, or 5th or 6th where he can get on-base, swing, and take away. However, why he is continually put into a run producing position without the best results? In regards to Hamilton, If he can produce in that role than as a Reds fan Im for it. I like EE circa 2006 as a cleanup hitter.

I think that Hamilton could be about the most perfect 2nd hitter. Speed, good OBP, sees pitches. It seems to me we are using Hamilton as an OK lead-off when he could be a really great 2 guy. just my two cents.

Hamilton's BA is lower with RISP so perhaps he's more comfortable being at the top of the lineup. Still, he's new to the big leagues so his RISP numbers could very well improve as he gains experience.

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Hamilton's BA is lower with RISP so perhaps he's more comfortable being at the top of the lineup. Still, he's new to the big leagues so his RISP numbers could very well improve as he gains experience.
    I think leadoff is a nice place for him this year. It gets him a few extra at bats plus a few extra fastballs.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Talkin' Baseball

The thing I really like about Hamilton is that he is the type of hitter that you can bat just about anywhere in the lineup and he has the skills to succeed. Where you bat him depends upon the supporting cast. Right now, I think he is most valuable to this team in the lead off role, but down the line it could be as a #2, 3, or 4 hitter. As long as he keeps up his OBP, I would never drop him below 5.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Hamilton
    Edwin
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Phillips
    Hatteberg
    Gonzalez
    Ross

Best. Lineup.
    I'd switch Edwin and Brandon around but that's me

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    One third of his ABs end in strikeouts. He will take a lot of walks, but he doesn't get enough hits to drive runners in. He has done better this year, but he would need to consistantly hit .270 or .280 to bat cleanup. He is only batting cleanup now because we don't have a true cleanup hitter. However, that could change next year with Josh Hamilton.
    Strikeouts do not necessarily equate to a lack of plate discipline. The fact that Dunn does get a lot of walks though is a good indication that he knows how to work a count, hence good plate discipline.

Turn Off Ads?