Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Ready to Deal.....LuRussa to the Reds???

Reds Ready to Deal.....LuRussa to the Reds???

The hot corner

-- Scouts say the Reds are alerting other clubs that everybody on their roster is available except Aaron Harang, Homer Bailey, Josh Hamilton, Alex Gonzalez and Brandon Phillips.
    -- Scouts say the Reds are alerting other clubs that everybody on their roster is available except , , , and .

-- According to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, there are rumors that Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty and manager Tony La Russa could end up in Cincinnati as a package deal. Reds owner Bob Castellini used to be part of the Cardinals ownership group.
    There is a discussion about this on the old red guard, but since i'm not priveleged enough to post there yet, let's open this for discussion here.

I HATE Tony LaRussa, but if can come here and emulate the success that he's had in Oakland and St. Louis, then i guess i can swallow my pride for a few years. I guess we need someone to replace Bob Huggins as the town drunk anyways.

As far as trades i would like to add EdwinE to the list of untouchables....i don't think we need a total roster makeover. We need a closer, and a leadoff hitter with a good obp. If we can get rid of Dunn's and Lohse's salary on top of Milton's and either/and Hatteberg and Conine's, we would have some nice $$$ to go shopping with in the offseason.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Ready to Deal.....LuRussa to the Reds???

Scouts say the Reds are alerting other clubs that everybody on their roster is available except Aaron Harang, Homer Bailey, Josh Hamilton, Alex Gonzalez and Brandon Phillips
    Alex Gonzalez is untouchable? huh? Is that a misprint that should be Edwin Encarnacion?
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by pokeyfan View Post
    I guess we need someone to replace Bob Huggins as the town drunk anyways.
    No need, Ryan Freel has already taken the mantle.

I keep hearing about Jocketty and Larussa, but why do they want to leave St. Louis in the first place. Did they not just win a WS?

Personally, I don't think you should consider anyone as "untradeable." If a trade improves your organization then you do it, regardless of who is involved.

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    I keep hearing about Jocketty and Larussa, but why do they want to leave St. Louis in the first place. Did they not just win a WS?
    Something to do with the owner favoring a young up-and-comer guy in the organization....i forget the guys name, but he is an ivy school grad, and his baseball philosophy and Jocketty's philosophy do not match and there is some anomosity between them......at least that's what some dude from the St. Louis post dispatch was saying on one of the XM baseball shows that i listen to.

Harang would be the closest thing to untradeable but if Minnesota called and offered Santana or San Diego offered Peavy Harang would be on the next plane out of town.

No one is untradeable.

LaRussa to the Reds, Marty would would not be happy with that move and neither would I. I can't stand LaRussa but for a championship caliber team I will get over it.

Wonder if LaRussa's first move would be to suspend Harang if he became our manager?

I have it on good authority that the LaRussa/Jocketty rumor is planted to improve their bargaining position. They have no intention of leaving and the Cards have no intention of lettingthem go.

I HATE Tony LaRussa, but if can come here and emulate the success that he's had in Oakland and St. Louis, then i guess i can swallow my pride for a few years.
    Not to take too much away from LaRussa but the team he had in Oakland was so good, he just had to get out of the way. Consider that he had two of the best players in the game (Canseco and Henderson), Macguire, and the best closer of all time. In St. Louis, he got to the series twice but there weren't any great teams in the National League and he had the best hitter in the game.

He has an impressive resume but he would need a bit more to take the Reds to such heights.

Monger

Wonder if LaRussa's first move would be to suspend Harang if he became our manager?
    I cant imagine why Jocketty or LaRussa would want to leave St Louis. Good revenue, weak division, top 5 baseball town. Even if ownership didnt want either one of them (can't understand that either - normally winning a world series warrants a good performance evaluation) why would either one want to come to small market cincinnati?

I find it hard to believe that my beloved reds will be the most attractive available opening for a future hall of fame manager in the 2007-2008 off-season.

And frankly im glad - i despise that hypocritical drunk LaRussa.
    Reds fan in Red Sox Country

Sponsored by Chico's Bail Bonds

wow is this for real? that would be awesome.

does that mean they're going to trade players for management?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalls View Post
    I have it on good authority that the LaRussa/Jocketty rumor is planted to improve their bargaining position. They have no intention of leaving and the Cards have no intention of lettingthem go.

I can buy that. I believe Girardi is No. 1 on the list and I think Krivsky is safe for now.

At some point you have to develop some stability in the front office, for a couple of reasons IMO. (1) You would have to start over with scouts and other positions along that line and (2) it would be hard to hire a quality person if an organization continues to give a GM only 2-3 years to fix a problem that was over a decade in the making (i.e. Jim Bowden/Marge Schott/Carl Lindner era).

LaRussa to the Reds?!? NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS.

Dude makes more money than 60% of your players - we're CHEAP!!

Also, the fact that they're a HATED DIVISION RIVAL might play a part in it as well.

Besides, LaRussa is about the MOST OVERRATED COACH IN THE HISTORY OF MLB. Nobody gets the LEAST out of the MOST talent than LaRussa. That Oakland team of his should have won 3-4 Titles. The ONLY one they won was because of an EARTHQUAKE that allowed him to pitch Dave Stewart 3 times.

That Roster he had in St. Louis should be NOWHERE NEAR .500 as they were last year, when they LUCKED OUT and won the World Series. Heck, WE WERE ONLY THREE GAMES behind them in the Win column in 2006. Gimme a Break!

LaRussa sucks, is a Drunk, and would cost WAY too much. The City of Cincinnati would rather move the team to Covington and rename them the Covington Communists than let the ex-Card (and ex-A's) skipper manage their Beloved RedLegs.

Other than that, he'd be a solid choice.

PEACE

-BLEEDS

Turn Off Ads?