Turn Off Ads?

Thread: A new reputation system

A new reputation system

I would suggest to the moderators they institute something to replace the old reputation system . Right now the posters on The Sun Deck are posting, and they have no clue whether they are making a wonderful post or an absolutely terrible one. I will not mince words- I absolutely hated the old reputation system. There were a lot of established posters who were judging new posters based on their opinion, and not the quality of their posts. I had my reputation value go down because an established poster didn't like a thread I created about Hamilton replacing Adam Dunn. In hindsight, I look pretty smart if the Reds trade Dunn and count on Hamilton to replace his production. That being said, I would favor some sort of grading system that grades posters on the quality of their posts. I would be more willing to have an extended wait trying to hear whether or not I would be accepted into the Old Red Guard if I knew how I was doing with the quality of my posts. I believe it would greatly improve the quality of posts on The Sun Deck.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: A new reputation system

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I would suggest to the moderators they institute something to replace the old reputation system . Right now the posters on The Sun Deck are posting, and they have no clue whether they are making a wonderful post or an absolutely terrible one. I will not mince words- I absolutely hated the old reputation system. There were a lot of established posters who were judging new posters based on their opinion, and not the quality of their posts. I had my reputation value go down because an established poster didn't like a thread I created about Hamilton replacing Adam Dunn. In hindsight, I look pretty smart if the Reds trade Dunn and count on Hamilton to replace his production. That being said, I would favor some sort of grading system that grades posters on the quality of their posts. I would be more willing to have an extended wait trying to hear whether or not I would be accepted into the Old Red Guard if I knew how I was doing with the quality of my posts. I believe it would greatly improve the quality of posts on The Sun Deck.
    Boss and GIK have expressed the desire to add a reputation system that is a simple thumbs-up/thumbs-down choice to provide user feedback. Reputation results will remain hidden to everyone except the user and will NOT be considered when determining ORG status.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Thank you for that. However if quality posts is a determining factor in inclusion to the Old Red Guard, it would logically seem a person with lots of thumbs-up posts would have a greater chance of joining ORG. I would also like to know when we can expect the new reputation system

I would also like to know when we can expect the new reputation system
    Unfortunately, the feature that paint mentioned is custom code that is an addon to vBulletin and it's not compatible with vB 3.6.7 (the latest version). I read that whatever the problem is should be fixed in 3.6.8 when that is released.

Do you know when vB 3.6.8 is due to be released?

I do not - vBulletin.com will have the latest news on releases.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Boss and GIK have expressed the desire to add a reputation system that is a simple thumbs-up/thumbs-down choice to provide user feedback. Reputation results will remain hidden to everyone except the user and will NOT be considered when determining ORG status.
    I would opine that such a system would do more harm than good. A thumbs up or down would lead to either butt kissing or antimosity depending on whether the thumb is pointing north or south.

I understand where the Sun Deck folks are coming from and the path to ORG is clearly defined with a thorough evaluation in the futures thread. It is my understanding that folks who do not get voted into the ORG are informed of areas they need improvement.

Personally I don't care if my posts are popular...

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I would opine that such a system would do more harm than good. A thumbs up or down would lead to either butt kissing or antimosity depending on whether the thumb is pointing north or south.

I understand where the Sun Deck folks are coming from and the path to ORG is clearly defined with a thorough evaluation in the futures thread. It is my understanding that folks who do not get voted into the ORG are informed of areas they need improvement.

Personally I don't care if my posts are popular...
    I do think some sort of judging system would help relatively new posters know if they were making good posts. I don't care if my posts are popular, but I do care I am making good posts and am improving as a poster on this board. I am sure posters on ORG don't need such a system, but I believe it would help posters on The Sun Deck. I have not heard anything about this futures thread, so more information on that would be helpful.

The Futures forum is an area reserved for those with ORG posting access. It's where the discussion and voting process occur.

Turn Off Ads?