Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where should Votto play when he comes up?

Re: Where should Votto play when he comes up?

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It is also possible he could be placed in left field in case Dunn is traded.

I understand that when it comes to playing defense, there's nothing "natural" for him. You play him where he'll do the least amount of damage, and apparently, that's first base.
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

2. Turn Off Ads?

From the little I've seen Votto play LF, he hasn't made a fool out of himself which puts him ahead of Dunn. That's not saying much though. Ideally he comes up and plays 1B. However, I call him whenever Hatteberg or Dunn is traded. The most important thing is to get him his ABs. In the long run, he is a first baseman.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    From what I hear, he's worse in left than Dunn. But he just recently began playing out there.

I'd prefer they keep him at first base, personally. Hatteberg and Conine are not long-term solutions for that position.
    Where did you hear he's worse in left than Dunn? I find that hard to believe because I thought he was athletic and being worst than Dunn is pretty hard.

I'd put him at first base because I hear that he makes some pretty good plays there. I don't remember where I saw this, but supposedly some managers think he is a VERY GOOD first baseman while others thing he's below average. I think it might be because he's athletic enough to play first, but maybe not refined enough. IDK.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn View Post
    Where did you hear he's worse in left than Dunn? I find that hard to believe because I thought he was athletic and being worst than Dunn is pretty hard.

I'd put him at first base because I hear that he makes some pretty good plays there. I don't remember where I saw this, but supposedly some managers think he is a VERY GOOD first baseman while others thing he's below average. I think it might be because he's athletic enough to play first, but maybe not refined enough. IDK.
    Votto is pretty bad in left. With that said, it probably has a whole lot to do with the fact that he has played 12 games there in his entire career and otherwise has spent his entire life on the infield. Its tough to go from fielding balls at first to fielding balls in the outfield that slice away from you or take completely different trajectories off the bat.

Given some time, I would bet he could be passable in left, but right now he is quite lost at times out there.

You play him at 1st, moving him to keep a couple of 37+ year olds in the job would be short sighted and foolish
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    You play him at 1st, moving him to keep a couple of 37+ year olds in the job would be short sighted and foolish
    It would not be the first time the Reds did something that was short-sighted and foolish. It all depends on whether we trade Dunn, and whether we get a left field prospect in the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    That's not my point
    I know. I was just throwing that out there.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    It would not be the first time the Reds did something that was short-sighted and foolish. It all depends on whether we trade Dunn, and whether we get a left field prospect in the trade.
    I could easily see this team trading Dunn for pitchers, putting Votto in LF and invoking Hatte's option for $1.85 Million for 2008. Freel or Hopper would probably play against LH and maybe Votto moves in to 1B on those days. I don't think its the right plan, but I wouldn't be surprised in the least. Hatte would still be a relative bargain at $1.85 Million and this team, new owner and all, still seems cheap to me.

If they spend all the money for the right combination of arms it could work I suppose.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Hatteberg WILL be traded and Votto will start at first. If we don't trade Hatteberg I say lets orgainze a riot around GAB...I say this because he could bring in a very good SS prospect that we need desperately.

I believe one of the first base reserves will be traded-I just don't know which one. Hatteberg would give us more trade value though.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Here's my thought. Hatte and one of our Hot Minor League pitchers, say Cueto or Watson to the Braves for Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Votto comes up to play 1st for good. Next year's mid-season trade is Dunn for pitching and/or a SS prospect with old man Griffey moving (again!?!) to left and young Jay Bruce Wayne (he's Batman not Superman) comes up to play Right Field forever. So by the end of next season our Batting order is something like this:

CF Josh 'Roy Hobbs' Hamilton
    2B Brandon Phillips
    LF Ken Griffey, Jr.
    RF Jay Bruce
    C Jarrod 'Salty' Saltalamacchia
    1B Joey Votto
    3B Edwin Encarnacion
    SS Alex Gonzalez
    Pitcher

I know, I'm dreaming...but it's a good dream.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Turn Off Ads?