Turn Off Ads?

Thread: What's the target - 2008 or 2009?

What's the target - 2008 or 2009?

The decisions made during the next month should be guided, in part, by whether the Reds think that they can contend next year or not. That's the threshold determination that must be made.

One way or another, it seems unlikely that Adam Dunn will be a Red in 2009. If management truly thinks the team is more than one year (2008) away (as I do,) he should be traded now. The same goes for Hatteberg, Conine, and Weathers.

Who's rights do the Reds have guaranteed through 2009? Who will remain part of the nucleus of the team? Harang, Arroyo, Bailey; Phillips, Gonzalez, Encarnacion, Hamilton, Griffey(?), Votto (perhaps.)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What's the target - 2008 or 2009?

I continue to be wary of trading David Weathers. This doesn't mean I wouldn't trade him, but the return needs to be very good. I think it's very unlikely we will have a better option at closer than David Weathers next year and possibly into 2009.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I think John Allen said the target is 2003!!!

If we get the prospects, he will be traded this year. Otherwise, he will be a Red next year.

uoduck1017

I believe there is a chance the Reds could contend next year, but I believe it would be better to look towards 2009. Hopefully Bruce and Cueto will get a chance with the big club next summer and be completely ready for the 2009 season.

hey lets not write off this year. There's still a lot of baseball to be played.

bwhahahahahahahahhahahahaha!
    L.A. manager Grady Little had a bad feeling about Wednesday's game when he saw Harang and pitching coach Dick Pole walking in after Harang's warmup.

"I saw two big men," Little said. "Either could have shut us out tonight."

I think this should be the plan for the rest of this season , next year, and the year after that:
    This year - Done. Trade away the vets that won't be around next year. Get prospects for them.
    2008 - Field a respectable team that can go .500 while getting our young players (Bailey, Cueto, Votto, and Bruce) valuable experience so they are comfortable. Have GOOD veteran leadership to show these young players how to be everyday major leaguers and how to win.
    2009 - This will be the fourth season for WK and we should be able to make a push at the series. We need to pick up a good left hander for the rotation. Also this team will be in great need of a legitimate lead off hitter. I am hoping that whomever replaces Gonzalez at SS is a legitimate lead off hitter or whoever is in the outfield with Bruce and Hamilton can hit lead off as well (this is assuming that Dunn and Griffey will not be with the club in 2009).

So basically I see that WK has 1.5 seasons and 2 off seasons to develop or sign a left hander for the rotation and a lead off batter for LF or SS. And an adequate catcher.

I see our line-up as follows:
    1. ???? SS/LF
    2. Hamilton CF
    3. Bruce RF
    4. EE 3B
    5. Votto 1B
    6. Phillips 2B
    7. ???? SS/LF
    8. ???? adequate catcher

This is assuming that EE gets his power back. Dunn would look awfully good in this lineup batting 4th, though. If we would keep Dunn somehow it looks like this:

1. ????? SS
    2. Hamilton CF
    3. Bruce RF
    4. Dunn LF
    5. EE 3B
    6. Votto 1B
    7. Phillips 2B
    8. Adequate Catcher

Now that is one hell of a lineup.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    I continue to be wary of trading David Weathers. This doesn't mean I wouldn't trade him, but the return needs to be very good. I think it's very unlikely we will have a better option at closer than David Weathers next year and possibly into 2009.
    You know Weathers will be 39 in 2009 right?

Quote Originally Posted by EddieMilner View Post
    2009 - I am hoping that whomever replaces Gonzalez at SS . . .
    Gonzo is signed through 2009 with a mutual option for 2010.

It all depends on what happens during the trade deadline- if either of our star outfielders are traded it will be 2009. If Dunn has his option picked up, Krivsky will be going for 2008.

I'm still not sold on EE at 3rd. I think we have to have a third baseman who is better on defense and hits with more power.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Red View Post
    I'm still not sold on EE at 3rd. I think we have to have a third baseman who is better on defense and hits with more power.
    Couldn't find a gamelog of his fielding stats but I think he's been errorless since his demotion. Here's what his hitting looks since coming back from Louisville:

Code:

Edwin Encarnacion batting from career game #218 (May 22, 2007) to game #256 (Jul 6, 2007)

G   PA  AB  R   H  2B 3B HR RBI  BB IBB  SO HBP  SH  SF GDP  SB CS   BA   OBP   SLG   OPS
    +---+---+---+---+---+--+--+--+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+---+--+-----+-----+-----+-----+
      39 170 148  19  46  9  0  4  20  16   1  29   4   0   0   3   1  0  .311  .393  .453  .846
    Made a nice play in the field last night and almost hit a grand slam. I think he'll be OK if we let him develop.

Based on what? I don't post alot anymore, but when something jumps out at me, welp I gotta...

Edwin is 24 years old. In '06 at age 23 he hit .276 in 117 G, 15 HR, 72 RBI's. In '07 at age 24 he has hit .273 in 71 G, 6 HR, 36 RBI's.
    His D has been improving steadily over the last three years. He's young + cheap, and WILL BE a plus major league 3B for years to come. He's one of the spots the Reds BUILD AROUND.

Turn Off Ads?