Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2007

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: Tour de France 2007

Vino was a man possessed as well this morning. Makes me hurt just watching knowing he has 50+ stitches in his body yet he's dominant at one of the most grueling athletics competitions in the world. And I wonder how well Kloden would be doing if he didn't have to hold back to play support for Vino. Would he be first or second?

Rasumussen really impressed me today. Almost like he willed himself to a good time trial. He may have won himself the Tour today because we know he can climb.

What I like is that all the main contenders are bunched up - meaning it will be a total free for all the last few days. Will make for some good television that's for sure.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Rasmussen and Contador dominated the first stage in the Pyrenees. It looks like the race is coming down to those two. Their teams can put the hammer down on three wicked climbs tomorrow and then after a day of rest on Monday, they can sort it out between themselves on the Col D'Aubisque.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Something I haven't seen mentioned in many places, in stage 15 Team Astana passed Team Discovery Channel for the team lead. Discovery now trails by 2'53". It's all Popovych's fault.

Yea, it looks like a two man race after the rest day. It would take some incredible riding for any of the others to get back in it, but that remains an outside chance. Also, there's always the possibility that the two leaders could have some mishap or other...which is probably more likely.
    Last edited by WebScorpion; 07-24-2007 at 11:14 AM.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Something I haven't seen mentioned in many places, in stage 15 Team Astana passed Team Discovery Channel for the team lead. Discovery now trails by 2'53". It's all Popovych's fault.

Yea, it looks like a two man race after the rest day. It would take some incredible riding for any of the others to get back in it, but that remains an outside chance. Also, there's always the possibility that the two leaders could have some mishap or other...which is probably more likely.
    Contador's been the best thing that could happen to Rasmussen. The Dane might not have attacked the past two days and put more time into Evans and Kloden if not for Contrador's constant attempts to break the field. The guy in the yellow jersey often becomes a hostage to the race lead, trying to control the field rather than destroying it.

Rasmussen and Contador still need to put more time into Evans and Kloden to be safe during the time trial. Expect Contador to launch multiple attacks tomorrow and for him and Rasmussen to put on a classic duel on the final climb.

[QUOTE=jmcclain19;1418930]
    Vino was a man possessed as well this morning. QUOTE]
    And now we know why

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7015224?MSNHPHMA

The Tour of Cheaters de France strikes again. Any credibility whatsoever left? Team Astana quits as Vinokourov is found to be a cheater. Yawn. Yellow jersey leader Rasmussen under suspicion. Yawn. Last year's TDF winner Floyd Landis currently fighting a doping charge. Yawn. 1996 Tour winner Bjarne Riis admitted to cheating to win. Yawn. 1997 winner Jan Ullrich charged with doping. Yawn. On and on and on spinning faster and faster like the spokes of a bicycle wheel on a breakaway. The French are right about one thing. The Tour de France is the greatest spectacle of all. Who's next?

I should say that I actually enjoy watching the Tour. But how can it be taken seriously? Any time a rider pulls off a seemingly miraculous effort to get back into contention, or perhaps even win the tour itself, the same thought will be on everyone's mind. Fairly or unfairly, that is what the Tour de France has come to.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-24-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Well if everyone is on dope isn't it a level playing field?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Its stuff like this that makes it just harder & harder to watch cycling. After getting duped by Landis last year, I was determined not to get that into this year. But of course - July comes and I got excited.

Man this just leaves a bitter taste.

I actually give the TDF credit. I'll guarantee you the NFL has got doping problems that far exceed cycling, both in terms of performance enhancers and pain maskers. However, the NFL has devised a policy which sweeps its drug abuse under the rug (unless you fire up a joint, then you're in trouble). The TDF is actively trying to weed out the doping. Yes, it's going to be ugly at times, but at least they're meeting the problem head on.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I actually give the TDF credit. I'll guarantee you the NFL has got doping problems that far exceed cycling, both in terms of performance enhancers and pain maskers. However, the NFL has devised a policy which sweeps its drug abuse under the rug (unless you fire up a joint, then you're in trouble). The TDF is actively trying to weed out the doping. Yes, it's going to be ugly at times, but at least they're meeting the problem head on.
    I did not mean to imply that problems with participants using banned substances was limited to cycling. However, if every time you turn around there is another instance of doping being brought out into the open, it is bound to have a negative effect on the attitudes of a number of the people watching the sport. I would love it if every sport was clean and the playing field, in that regard, was level. But I also realize that will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I did not mean to imply that problems with participants using banned substances was limited to cycling. However, if every time you turn around there is another instance of doping being brought out into the open, it is bound to have a negative effect on the attitudes of a number of the people watching the sport. I would love it if every sport was clean and the playing field, in that regard, was level. But I also realize that will be difficult if not impossible to accomplish.
    All I'm saying is the reason you hear about with cycling is they're doing something about it. I agree it's not good PR, but I find it more admirable than the NFL's bogus testing program which catches no one in a league full of chemically-enhanced leviathans.
    Last edited by M2; 07-24-2007 at 04:45 PM.

The TDF is a farce. They need to clamp down even harder on these abusers. Blood checks for all riders after every stage, a 4-year ban for the 1st offense and a life-long ban for a 2nd offense. This is incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    Blood checks for all riders after every stage,
    IIRC, they already test a boatload of folks in every stage - stage winners, jersey holders, etc. I think a positive result gets you a two-year ban for the first offense. I'm not sure what the second penalty is, but assuming it's more severe than the first, it would pretty much keep you out of the event for the rest of your career.

My guess is they test more people after each stage/game than any other major professional sport. The fact that they do all this testing and that they're so thorough with their testing is the reason why guys keep getting caught. I'm actually a little confused by your response. They're testing. They're catching guys. They're not protecting big names. They're handing out severe penalties. Isn't that what we want them to be doing? It's disappointing that the athletes and team directors/doctors keep trying to cheat the system, but I still say the much larger farce is sports that do nominal show testing designed to give them a PR shield and to mask the doping abuses rampant among their athletes.

The reason why people are getting caught is because the deterrent isn't strong enough. Of course I want tests and of course I want riders caught for cheating - the point is to get them to stop and obviously the riders feel like the risk is worth the potential gain.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post

I agree. I suspect the NFL gets away with a lot simply because the media's afraid to take them on. They're too powerful.

What I don't understand is why would Vinokourov be so stupid as to try blood doping which I understand isn't that hard to detect. Also, he was so far behind in the GC, why would he do this now when it was probably too late to catch up? Would anyone be that stupid? What am I missing here?

Turn Off Ads?