Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will Edwin Encarcion be the long-term solution offensively?

Will Edwin Encarcion be the long-term solution offensively?

I had really high hopes for Edwin Encarcion last year. I believed he would be a stellar third baseman who would be really productive offensively. I believed he would hit .300 with 30 hr, 100 rbi potential in the future. He seems to have had the hardest year of anyone, and we might have to scale down our hopes for Edwin. We have no one presently to replace Edwin now or in the near future, but we might need to look at trading or drafting a class-a third base prospect in the years to come, as third base is a power-hitting position.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Will Edwin Encarcion be the long-term solution at third base?

First off, why the hell do certain positions have to be power hitting positions? Thats stupid to say one position HAS to hit x amount of home runs while this position can hit .200 as long as he is slick fielding. I'd take Arod at short and and EE at 3B over Arod at third and Gonzalez at Short 97 days a week. And another thing, if Castro comes in as a late inning defensive replacement one more time over EE I've had it. What more does EE have to prove that he has sick D at third? The only problem he has/had were the throws, which he has cut back on a lot this season.

I think the thing with EE is that slump he went through at the beginning of the season. He has worked so hard to get back to his normal approach thats hes just trying to hit the ball hard again which has produced a lot more hits, just not deep flys. EE is fine, you dont trade him unless you are upgrading him.

I think Edwin could be the Reds third basemen for the next 10 years. After his slow start he's really been hitting over the last 45 games or so. I really think he will be a good middle of the order hitter for years to come.

uoduck1017

I really hope so because this kid has a lot of talent. I think coaches and fans get frustrated because he displays his amazing abilities for a period of time, then he will go into a slump. The key for him is staying healthy and getting into a good rythm.

He is 24 yrs old and playing in his 2nd full season, I think we should give him some more time. Players are notorious for having sophmore slumps and I don't think this is anything more than that. There is no one to replace him and the Reds aren't going to win anything anytime soon so they might as well let him play through it and see what happens. I for one think he will be fine and am ok with him being the Reds 3rd baseman for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy Sanchez View Post
    He is 24 yrs old and playing in his 2nd full season, I think we should give him some more time. Players are notorious for having sophmore slumps and I don't think this is anything more than that. There is no one to replace him and the Reds aren't going to win anything anytime soon so they might as well let him play through it and see what happens. I for one think he will be fine and am ok with him being the Reds 3rd baseman for many years.

He's not really having that big of a sophmore slump either. He's hiting over .270 with a decent RBI total and still hitting pretty well with runners in scoring position. Yea, the power numbers are a litle down but I think he'll get that back in the second half.

He could easily finish the year with 15-20 homers and 70 rbi's with a strong second half, and his defense has been better. For whatever reason i get the feeling EE is under-valued. I can understand the poor defense argument, but with Felipe gone the left side of the infield is stronger. Anybody else wonder during his slump if he had played too much baseball? I don't fault the guy for being involved in the winter leagues but was just curious if it might have affected him. MLB 06 season, followed by Winter Ball were his team went to playoffs and finals (not 100% sure about his teams results) then spring training and MLB 07 season, sounds like an easy way to lose focus to me.

He has flashes of brilliants. More stable and steady play and he will be here for a long time.It's really up to him his ceiling is unlimited

I posted this in another thread, but it goes perfect with this one, and sums up my feelings on EE.

Edwin is 24 years old. In '06 at age 23 he hit .276 in 117 G, 15 HR, 72 RBI's. In '07 at age 24 he has hit .273 in 71 G, 6 HR, 36 RBI's.
    His D has been improving steadily over the last three years. He's young + cheap, and WILL BE a plus major league 3B for years to come. He's one of the spots the Reds BUILD AROUND.

I would hope that EE stays around for many years to come. His defense has improved (throwing) and he does have some pop in his bat. He's no 40 HR a year guy but there's no reason he can't hit twenty.
    I agree there is no reason that a third baseman needs to be a big power hitter. Not everyone is a Mike Schmidt. If you remember, Pete Rose played quite a few games at 3B and he sure wasn't a power hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Driver62 View Post
    I agree there is no reason that a third baseman needs to be a big power hitter.
    Especially on a team that has plenty of pop, Phillips, Hamilton, Griffey, Dunn, a little Gonzo, and when Ross hits the ball. You also have Votto on the horizon with good power. Im really interested how the reds are going to start piecing this thing together in the second half, for next year and beyond.

And his OBP is .356. I'd like to see him hit 2nd sometimes.

Of course, I'd like to see Juan Castro harvest turnips rather than play for the Reds. But that's just me.

I really dont see how this is a question. Edwin has been one of our best hitters since his return from Louisville. He started off bad. Oh well. His defense has improved greatly, and actually has a better FPCT than Castro at third base, and I'm sure his range is much greater too because he makes spectacular plays. Not to mention he has a pretty good OBP, one of, if not the best AVG w/ RISP, and Catchers Int.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by CWRed View Post
    And his OBP is .356. I'd like to see him hit 2nd sometimes.

Of course, I'd like to see Juan Castro harvest turnips rather than play for the Reds. But that's just me.
    If the Nazi's hadn't taken over redszone, I'd rep you for that one my friend

Quote Originally Posted by mole44 View Post
    If the Nazi's hadn't taken over redszone, I'd rep you for that one my friend

Turn Off Ads?