Turn Off Ads?

Thread: South Haven, Michigan

South Haven, Michigan

My wife, my one year old, and myself are heading up to South Haven, Michigan next week for vacation. I have never been and wondering if you guys had any suggestions? I am schedule to play golf one morning but that is all we have scheduled.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: South Haven, Michigan

If you like craft beer, Michigan is one of the best places to get it, and the west side of the state is no exception. As this sounds more like a family trip, I won't get into the details, but if you'd like some suggestions just let me know.

If you're up for a quick drive (15-20 min), make a stop in Saugatuck. Otherwise, I would simply spend as much time as possible on or near the lake.

4. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (08-16-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    If you like craft beer, Michigan is one of the best places to get it, and the west side of the state is no exception. As this sounds more like a family trip, I won't get into the details, but if you'd like some suggestions just let me know.

If you're up for a quick drive (15-20 min), make a stop in Saugatuck. Otherwise, I would simply spend as much time as possible on or near the lake.
    Yep. Last summer, I took the wife and daughters to Grand Haven, Holland, and Saugatuck for a short vacation. Nice part of the state. Lake water can be chilly. We stayed in Grand Rapids and made day trips out.

I liked Saugatuck the best. It's a little funkier. The other 2 are very nice, but also $$$. We took a good boat tour out of Saugatuck. I can also vouch for the good beers in the area.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

We will have to check out Saugatuck, have also heard good things on it. Thanks for the suggestions, it will be our first trip as a family so it definitely will be different than our other trips.

For an overview of South Haven, go to www.tripadvisor.com, sort of the 'Redszone' of travel boards. Lots of good info there, usually posted by people that have recently traveled there or locals and includes rankings of hotels, restaurants, etc. plus 'things to do'.
    I took a look at the site and they have a good discussion of 'must dos' right now at the bottom of the forum page. It may have sliped to the second page, in case you don't see it.

Here's the link (hopefully) http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum..._Michigan.html

Click on 'South Haven' in the upper left green box for other options.

Rem
    "For Reds fans, by Reds fans" Learn it, love it, live it.

Lake Michigan is cold, but purifying swimming. Brave it.

Dune buggying.

Make sure you make a stop at New Holland brewing co, voted the best microbrew in Mich and that's saying something.

Lake Mich is cold but should be fine this time of year. Beaches are fabulous and the area is priced reasonably. My bet is you'll come back here and post what a great time you had

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Make sure you make a stop at New Holland brewing co, voted the best microbrew in Mich and that's saying something.

Lake Mich is cold but should be fine this time of year. Beaches are fabulous and the area is priced reasonably. My bet is you'll come back here and post what a great time you had
    I didn't get to make it to Holland, Michigan. Wanted to but we opted to head to Saugatuck instead.

South Haven was a very cool town. The Beaches were fantastic for our family. The water was very cold but did feel very refreshing when took a dip. The area wasn't very crowded and with the exception of Sat night we had no problem finding a place to eat.

The only downfall was the house we rented. Everything in it was old and uncomfortable. It was a tab bit further out than we would have wanted to stay but it worked. I am sure we will venture back up there at some point. I would recommend taking a trip up to South Haven to anybody who wants a reasonable trip that isn't too bad of a drive.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I didn't get to make it to Holland, Michigan. Wanted to but we opted to head to Saugatuck instead.

South Haven was a very cool town. The Beaches were fantastic for our family. The water was very cold but did feel very refreshing when took a dip. The area wasn't very crowded and with the exception of Sat night we had no problem finding a place to eat.

The only downfall was the house we rented. Everything in it was old and uncomfortable. It was a tab bit further out than we would have wanted to stay but it worked. I am sure we will venture back up there at some point. I would recommend taking a trip up to South Haven to anybody who wants a reasonable trip that isn't too bad of a drive.
    Do you know what the water temp was? Just curious. Lake Mich is cold by most standards. I go a bit further north than South Haven and if it gets to upper 60s it's "swimmable" . Lower 70s is to die for. If I was in Waikiki, my standards would be different

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Do you know what the water temp was? Just curious. Lake Mich is cold by most standards. I go a bit further north than South Haven and if it gets to upper 60s it's "swimmable" . Lower 70s is to die for. If I was in Waikiki, my standards would be different
    60, or at least that is what South Haven listed it at. If your were moving the water was fine. If you weren't it was COLD.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    60, or at least that is what South Haven listed it at. If your were moving the water was fine. If you weren't it was COLD.
    That's damn cold. Only kids and dogs do 60. Congrats for getting into that at all!

Turn Off Ads?